PDA

View Full Version : cracked block :/

Pitch
06-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Well, I figured out why I got my 96 Prostar 190 for $4500.

Long story short, took the boat out, had water in oil, pulled heads and found the below :/ looks like a freeze crack to us.

I ordered this short block today, and should hopefully be back up in next couple of weeks. Does anybody have any experience with this company, guys in Texas?

http://www.mabbcomotors.com/catalog/Marine/Marine_Short_Blocks_-_NO_CORE_REQUIED_/Chevrolet/MARINE_GM_Chevrolet_5.7_350_Short_Block_1996-2006_Vortec_2-Bolt_-_NO_CORE_REQUIRED_-_90_Day_Limited_Warranty/150

Wish us luck!

petermegan
06-09-2012, 07:34 PM
Sounds cheap to what you get here in OZ, just make sure they are not machined out to 60thou or something crazy. Go the extras if you can afford it!

Pitch
06-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Said the bore would depend on the current inventory of blocks, didn't think with them being more recent blocks that they'd be any further than 20 or 40.

I'm sticking with the 217 heads since they just got a valve job and only have 150 hours on them, but what cam should I be looking at should I choose to go bigger?

This place would have been perfect if I lived in Texas, but they killed me with $325 shipping.

Lumbergh
06-09-2012, 09:20 PM
Sorry to hear about that. You will still be ok if you do much if not all of the labor to R&R the engine.

Still a nice boat though.

Pitch
06-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Buddy and I will be doing it. Talked local tow truck company into pulling engine and dropping in new block, which will save headache.

mikeg205
06-09-2012, 10:14 PM
Still not too bad...$$$-wise unless it blows your boating budget. Hopefully you'll be on the water soon.

Pitch
06-22-2012, 05:45 PM
Got the shortblock on Wednesday and hope to get it in tomorrow. Mabbco was easy to order from, and I'll report back on the quality of the block when it's up and running.

Any advice or tips on pulling the old engine would be appreciated, I built an A frame hoist similar to one I found in this site, so hopefully that works. Wondering if I should pull it with the transmission or not.

Jerseydave
06-22-2012, 06:10 PM
I've never done one, but I would think its better to pull the engine/trans together.

Good luck, post some pics as you go and hope you get her in the water and running soon. :)

95_190_PS_PS
06-22-2012, 09:48 PM
I pulled the engine and trans together, I figured that it would be easier on the mounts to remove both together rather than removing the trans then the engine, the engine would be sitting on two mounts, and might cause undue stress. After pulling the engine, it's easy enough to unbolt the trans. My powerslot tans was a lot lighter than I expected, my guess would be @ 70#, so you can probably handle it on your own, but having an extra set of hands would probably help.

JimN
06-22-2012, 11:09 PM
Well, I figured out why I got my 96 Prostar 190 for $4500.

Long story short, took the boat out, had water in oil, pulled heads and found the below :/ looks like a freeze crack to us.

I ordered this short block today, and should hopefully be back up in next couple of weeks. Does anybody have any experience with this company, guys in Texas?

http://www.mabbcomotors.com/catalog/Marine/Marine_Short_Blocks_-_NO_CORE_REQUIED_/Chevrolet/MARINE_GM_Chevrolet_5.7_350_Short_Block_1996-2006_Vortec_2-Bolt_-_NO_CORE_REQUIRED_-_90_Day_Limited_Warranty/150

Wish us luck!

Did they ask for the casting number? You need to make sure the heads/intake will work on that block. I'm pretty sure your original engine isn't Vortec- those came in in '97, IIRC.

FWIW, I never had a single problem using Jasper engines. They got there fast, the price was very good and they come with a 3 year warranty but you don't need to pay up the ying-yang for shipping.

Do you know anyone who has an engine stand? If not, find out if you can rent one. Put the new block on the stand and move the heads & accessories to the new one, then lift it before attaching the transmission. If you can find an engine balancer, use that when you lift the re-man into the boat, so it hangs the way you need it to.

Pitch
06-23-2012, 01:42 AM
Did they ask for the casting number? You need to make sure the heads/intake will work on that block. I'm pretty sure your original engine isn't Vortec- those came in in '97, IIRC.

FWIW, I never had a single problem using Jasper engines. They got there fast, the price was very good and they come with a 3 year warranty but you don't need to pay up the ying-yang for shipping.

Do you know anyone who has an engine stand? If not, find out if you can rent one. Put the new block on the stand and move the heads & accessories to the new one, then lift it before attaching the transmission. If you can find an engine balancer, use that when you lift the re-man into the boat, so it hangs the way you need it to.

Yup, 880 casting number on the block. Vortec heads and intake. I've got an engine stand that I'll be using. My biggest concern is setting the valves to zero lash. It's been awhile since I've done head work.

JimN
06-23-2012, 08:09 AM
Yup, 880 casting number on the block. Vortec heads and intake. I've got an engine stand that I'll be using. My biggest concern is setting the valves to zero lash. It's been awhile since I've done head work.

Get a manual and follow it to the letter- preferably a real GM manual. Mitchell's would be my second choice but Chilton's is my last. I would use a Haynes manual before a Chilton's. How was the cam re-ground? Did they preserve the lift and duration, or just lap it to random spec?

Pitch
06-24-2012, 01:08 AM
Out comes the paperweight. Can't believe this a frame worked. Need to find a few more hours and we'll have the new engine in.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=656&pictureid=4157

Pitch
07-01-2012, 09:58 PM
Finally got a chance to work on the new block. Here's a couple pictures of it and the progress today. Seems to be a good quality short block.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=656&pictureid=4216
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=656&pictureid=4215
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=656&pictureid=4217

mikeg205
07-01-2012, 10:17 PM
Cool...thanks for the pics...I always envy anyone who can rebuild an engine...or get a replacement block and take good parts from old engine and make it work.

Rossterman
07-01-2012, 11:00 PM
Did you have the heads pressure tested to confirm they werent damaged as well?
Might as well do some mild port cleanup while you have them apart??

Pitch
07-01-2012, 11:11 PM
Cool...thanks for the pics...I always envy anyone who can rebuild an engine...or get a replacement block and take good parts from old engine and make it work.

I have yet to make it work. Hopefully that happens...

Did you have the heads pressure tested to confirm they werent damaged as well?
Might as well do some mild port cleanup while you have them apart??

I did have them magnafluxed, pressure tested, and a valve job while they were out.

Pitch
07-16-2012, 10:46 PM
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=656&pictureid=4264

Engine is in! Took her out for maiden voyage number 2 and ran very smoothly. Time to take a few days of to make up for lost time.

Very happy with the quality of this motor if anyone else is in need you might give them a look.

thatsmrmastercraft
07-17-2012, 12:25 AM
Congrats. I just love that first start-up. :toast: