PDA

View Full Version : Ratchet style racks on a '00 XStar?

bas1620
08-23-2005, 04:14 AM
I was just wondering if were to buy some newer "racthet style"-spring loaded- MC board racks, would i be able to mount them on my '00 XStar's Zero Flex tower? And how would I? They're so sweet- I gotta have em!
Thanks
Ben

BradD
08-23-2005, 09:15 AM
I have uneasy feelings with the rachet style racks. My brother went from an X-10 with the straps, to an '04 X-Star with rachets. We were shooting across Burt Lake and a Board came loose and landed on my 5 year old. Thankfully the seat took the brunt of the force, but he was quite shook up...Heck, so was I when i thought of how bad it could have been.
They sure do work slick, but for obvious reasons, i don't trust them.

Cary K.
08-23-2005, 09:21 AM
I think for the same obvious reasons, they only made them 1 (maybe 2) years.

DanC
08-23-2005, 12:15 PM
I have them on my '03, never had an issue with a board coming loose. In fact I think they are more secure as long as you make sure you have pushed the ratchet down.

I am sure they will not fit on an "00 with out significant drilling and welding skills.

I would not recommend them because

1) they are very expensive.
2) they bend easily. I have seen several people at the dealership complaining because theirs got bent Pretty sure it is because you have to be fairly agile (and not drunk) to climb up there and put a board in and close the ratchet without leaning on the ratchet mechanism
3) surfboards and most wakeskates will not fit
4) As Cary K said, there is a reason that they changed the design after 2 years.

Mag_Red
08-23-2005, 12:26 PM
Are they back to the Bungee cord thing????

DanC
08-23-2005, 12:35 PM
Are they back to the Bungee cord thing????

No, they use a clamp style, kinda like foam lined alligator jaws.