PDA

View Full Version : Need Opinions on 1 or 2 story

georgea0731
06-08-2012, 10:57 PM
Here's some shots from the water. We're not sure whether we "have" to do a single story or a full basement. Any one that's gone through this decision or has land development experience, please share any insight. We will be required by the builder to pay $500 for a site visit, perk test and initial set up and paperwork. So I'd like to try and narrow down the front plans if possible.

snork
06-08-2012, 11:41 PM
basement walkouts are always nice to have, not much more cost to the project other that a few more cinder blocks

Ben
06-08-2012, 11:44 PM
I vote walkout basement. Set it up so you have a big door or narrow garage door you can open up with storage for all the lake crap - jackets, skis, boards, tubes, wet towels, etc. Concrete floor.

Also, set it up so you can get to a bathroom w/o touching carpet or wood floor. Deck off the 1st floor that creates a roof for the walkout.

madcityskier
06-09-2012, 12:15 AM
I've had several friends do walk outs with span crete in the garage so they can use the space under. Adds a nice amount of space to the project. A ranch style walkout with a bonus room over the garage is a nice option, and allows for a third stall with a 12 foot door to allow for a tower (keep in mind that a slightly wider door is perfered in this case). We have a ranch/walkout, I just wish I had made the garage deeper. Neighbor has a utility trailer with his four wheeler on it slid in behind his 210 AirNautiqe, I have to angle my stars and stripes to get it in. He also built a raised deck with an elevator platform to be able to store an amazing amount off crap over the trailer and back of the SAN, lawnmower, snowblower and such go up there. GREAT IDEA! I wish I had allowed for that. He's jealous of he neighbor up the street with the 12' door. Of course they had to sell the camper, so I guess my best advice is to be careful how you spend your money and get the most bang for your buck.

patrhodes
06-15-2012, 09:41 AM
No brainer need to do a 2 story w/walkout lower level. twice the space for the same foundation. Put as much light in that lower level as you can. I would do all bedrooms and laundry room up and eat in kitchen/family room down. Lower level is where you will spend all your time and you'll walk right out to the lake. Put a nice deck or patio off lower level and maybe a covered spot to sit when it's raining. High dock if possible for kids to jump off of. My 2 cents after 12 years on the lake.

tideengineer
06-15-2012, 10:35 AM
As lake house owner...definitey need the lower level...good place for a sealed concrete floor with bathroom and change room....store all you junk down there too.

rgardjr1
06-15-2012, 02:57 PM
Just built a two story lake place three years ago. We're on a secondary lot so the walk out part didn't apply to our build. Ended up with a two car garage and my daughters bedroom and bath on the bottom floor. Master bed/bath, guest bed/bath, laundry, great room(kitchen, dining & living), and a 10'x30' enclosed deck off front. I'm really happy how it turned out. Enough room for us and another family. Here's the only picture I could find at work:

Thrall
06-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Just built a two story lake place three years ago. We're on a secondary lot so the walk out part didn't apply to our build. Ended up with a two car garage and my daughters bedroom and bath on the bottom floor. Master bed/bath, guest bed/bath, laundry, great room(kitchen, dining & living), and a 10'x30' enclosed deck off front. I'm really happy how it turned out. Enough room for us and another family. Here's the only picture I could find at work:

Niiice!
When should I come over?:D

rgardjr1
06-15-2012, 03:27 PM
Niiice!
When should I come over?:D

Just let me know when you're going to be in the neighborhood. I probably won't have the boat in until the 4th of July though. The lake still needs to stop filling up and then drop back down.

Thrall
06-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Walkout is key if you have the right slope for it, on or off the water. Allows much better access to the basement regrdless of how it gets used.
How about 2 story + walkout basement? Get the most bang for your back out of the foundation and maximize yard space vs footprint of the house.
Like this.

jamisonsbrodie
06-15-2012, 04:49 PM
How wide is the lot? Walkout rambler with lower garage as stated above. I have this and love it. 3 BR's on the main and 2 below. Windows everywhere. 4 of the five br's face the lake. My only regret is not making the lower garage wider, but my lot kept me to a certain width and I didn't want to take away from the bedrooms and family room area.

georgea0731
06-16-2012, 08:58 PM
It is not square, 170 across the straight top, 93 down the right side (straight), 115 down the left side then another 75+ to the water, water is 95 with a slight curve.