PDA

View Full Version : '05 X10 Overheated, took on water

Amazongb
08-22-2005, 09:10 PM
I was cruising along yesterday on the Colorado River near Needles going about 40 mph. I had been cruising about 20 minutes. The motor began to bog so I slowed down, I noticed an alarm was sounding and the motor was overheating. I shut down the motor. I also noticed that both bilge pumps were cranking out water. I opened the ski locker and notice a ton of water. In a panic, I quickly unhooked the aft ballast pump hose and used it to help empty the bilge, as I took on more water than the bilge pumps could handle.

To make a long story short, the hose that runs between the impeller and the motor came off and flooded the back of the boat while the engine was running. If it hadn't been for the overheating alarm ( which thank god it prevents throttling the motor), I probably would've blown the motor, or who knows, maybe sank the darn thing.

I am upset the hose came off, but, it all worked out, so I'm not going to complain. I let the motor cool a while, then connected the hose and all was well. I'm glad that MC put some safeguards into the boat the helped prevent major damage.

Just thought I'd share the story in case it happens to someone else.

John

ski_king
08-22-2005, 09:20 PM
Simular problems have been posted on here before.......

PendO
08-22-2005, 09:33 PM
Glad to hear it all worked out in the end, quick thinking with the ballast pump hose. How many hours were on your boat ... sounds like we all need to check the tightness of our hose clamps;? (and the alternator bolts) ... congrats to you for saving the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MinnX-10
08-22-2005, 09:58 PM
Happened to me a few weeks ago... I would strongly suggest checking those hoses (I do a quick check each trip...) I had the same hose come off at the raw water pump.

Which engine do you have... (LQ-9 here) One thing that I would recommend checking is the muffler system and all attachments. (mine actually melted and had a hole even though the motor was fine) I would assume that all is well if you were able to continue boating as the back pressure would have been off, but just a precaution!

WakePowell
08-22-2005, 10:58 PM
I had a similar problem with my 2005 X-45 with the L-18 engine. We were 15 miles from the ramp at Lake Powell with the sun going down and our boat began loosing power and both bilge pumps were running. We opened up the engine compartment to see the hose running to the water neck (thermostat housing) on the engine spewing water everywhere. The engine did not overheat but all of the water spraying near the air filter made the engine ingest too much water to develop any power. It was amazing at how much water the boat took on. Both bilge pumps worked for ten minutes to get the water out.

The hose came apart at the PVC tee near the water neck (thermostat housing). Someone at the factory decided that to make the tee installation easier they ground off all of the barbs on the PVC tee fitting. Well not only did it make it easier for the hose slip on during installation at the factory it made it impossible for the hose to stay on the PVC tee even with the clamps tight. I was able to get the proper PVC tee with the barbs and installed it. Now the hose does not budge with the clamps tight.

jimmer2880
08-23-2005, 06:30 AM
I had a similar problem with my 2005 X-45 with the L-18 engine. We were 15 miles from the ramp at Lake Powell with the sun going down and our boat began loosing power and both bilge pumps were running. We opened up the engine compartment to see the hose running to the water neck (thermostat housing) on the engine spewing water everywhere. The engine did not overheat but all of the water spraying near the air filter made the engine ingest too much water to develop any power. It was amazing at how much water the boat took on. Both bilge pumps worked for ten minutes to get the water out.

The hose came apart at the PVC tee near the water neck (thermostat housing). Someone at the factory decided that to make the tee installation easier they ground off all of the barbs on the PVC tee fitting. Well not only did it make it easier for the hose slip on during installation at the factory it made it impossible for the hose to stay on the PVC tee even with the clamps tight. I was able to get the proper PVC tee with the barbs and installed it. Now the hose does not budge with the clamps tight.

For what it's worth - I've seen grey (or - is it gray?) PVC fittings loose their barbs when they got too hot. I wonder if someone might have used heat to get the hose on the first time?

bucky
08-23-2005, 07:45 AM
I don't want to threadjack, but...

Would you have to wait for the engine to cool down before you crank back up? On the LQ9 I wouldn't think it would be a problem because of the closed cooling system, but on the others would sending a shot of cold water through an overheated engine cause damage? I've heard of shock cooling in airplanes, but does it apply here?

88 PS190
08-23-2005, 10:23 AM
I'm thinking he got it off before it got too hot, not sure about shock cooling, but i've never had it happen in a V8 before, perhaps airplane engines are designed to run a bit hotter and their overheats would therefore be severe.

A marina i worked at years ago (not mastercraft) put a just sumerized 30 some foot dual engined baja speedboat in the water, started it, and walked away for 20 minutes to let it warm up before the owner came to drive it away. Upon return the baja was sitting 3 feet low in the water.... only by grounding out did it not completely submerge.

Check hose clamps, check hoses, pull on hoses to ensure they'll stay, and always always reattach hoses after you winterize an engine so you don't forget in the spring.

Diesel
08-23-2005, 11:08 AM
You do know you are entitled to a new boat!! :D

Amazongb
08-23-2005, 11:12 AM
Glad to hear it all worked out in the end, quick thinking with the ballast pump hose. How many hours were on your boat ... sounds like we all need to check the tightness of our hose clamps;? (and the alternator bolts) ... congrats to you for saving the engine!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I had 40 hours on the boat at the time. I had just picked it up from service last week. You better believe all be checking those clamps from now one :D

Amazongb
08-23-2005, 11:13 AM
Happened to me a few weeks ago... I would strongly suggest checking those hoses (I do a quick check each trip...) I had the same hose come off at the raw water pump.

Which engine do you have... (LQ-9 here) One thing that I would recommend checking is the muffler system and all attachments. (mine actually melted and had a hole even though the motor was fine) I would assume that all is well if you were able to continue boating as the back pressure would have been off, but just a precaution!

I have the Vortec MCX 5.7. Thanks for the advice, will do.

Amazongb
08-23-2005, 11:14 AM
Simular problems have been posted on here before.......

That's not reassuring. I never had this problem with my Tige...ouch.

Amazongb
08-23-2005, 11:16 AM
I don't want to threadjack, but...

Would you have to wait for the engine to cool down before you crank back up? On the LQ9 I wouldn't think it would be a problem because of the closed cooling system, but on the others would sending a shot of cold water through an overheated engine cause damage? I've heard of shock cooling in airplanes, but does it apply here?

I assumed (on the side of caution) that injecting 74 degree water into the block which was 250-260 could possibly crack it. I didn't want to risk it, so I let the engine cool.

Amazongb
08-23-2005, 11:18 AM
You do know you are entitled to a new boat!! :D

Sign me up! But damn, it's only got 40 hours on it.

WakePowell
08-23-2005, 06:25 PM
The issue of loose/failing hoses is not unique to Mastercraft. This was posted on another site:

"I was up at lake shasta with my cousins and there malibu and had a perfect day of wakeboarding. while heading in it was starting to get real dark and suddenly the motor startin getting real boggy. then out of no where water starts coming in the boat from the engine compartment and the back. the back of the boat was starting to sink very low in the water so we sped up to try to get near shore. the motor cut and the back of the boat was only above the water. started bailing water out of the boat like crazy and luckily bailed so fast the water didn't come into the boat. the problem ended up being one of the pipes that pumps water in to cool the engine broke and starting pumping a crapload of water in the boat. nothing got real damaged luckily, the carpet is just sopping wet and the motor needs a major tune up.

moral of the story : CHECK YOUR HOSE AND HOSE FITTINGS!"

and

"Same thing happened to us 4 years ago on the Delta with a 99 Ski Centurion. Once the stern was at water level the whole boat rolled over, floated along with the current and finally settled when the tower hung up on the bottom. We didn't realize it was taking on water until the carpet was submerged up to the engine compartment (direct drive) by then it was too late.
DK"

AirJunky
08-23-2005, 06:26 PM
That's not reassuring. I never had this problem with my Tige...ouch.
You don't want to talk Tige' here. I've got a long list & Charlie has heard a couple of them personally. :cool:

Amazongb
08-24-2005, 12:05 AM
The issue of loose/failing hoses is not unique to Mastercraft. This was posted on another site:

moral of the story : CHECK YOUR HOSE AND HOSE FITTINGS!"

Like I said, I'm not complaining. I assumed that since it was just serviced, that the hoses were checked/tightened etc. However, like I said, I'm thrilled to death that the MC overheating warning kicked in and saved me. All is good, I'll be back on the river this weekend -- woo hoo! Don't get the wrong idea, I dig my boat.

Amazongb
08-24-2005, 12:08 AM
You don't want to talk Tige' here. I've got a long list & Charlie has heard a couple of them personally. :cool:

I was jk. I sold my Tige and bought MC for a reason.. better boat, better trailer, better fit/finish etc, better dealer. I love my MC and when it comes time to buy another, it will more than likely be MC.

Jim
08-24-2005, 11:53 AM
I was jk. I sold my Tige and bought MC for a reason.. better boat, better trailer, better fit/finish etc, better dealer. I love my MC and when it comes time to buy another, it will more than likely be MC.

I also owned a tige prior to my mastercraft and I could'nt agree with you more.