PDA

View Full Version : Shaft Seal Question

bkblaida
06-08-2012, 04:01 PM
We have a 1997 PS 205 with around 600 hours. The shaft seal is original (brass tighting nut). This seal does not drip any water, and you can turn the prop when the boat is out of the water with your fingers. After reading on here for years about replacing packing, and adjusting for a drip a minute, I am wondering if our boat has a synthetic seal, or if some type of "seal magic" is taking place.

Thanks in advance for the input.

CantRepeat
06-08-2012, 04:08 PM
We have a 1997 PS 205 with around 600 hours. The shaft seal is original (brass tighting nut). This seal does not drip any water, and you can turn the prop when the boat is out of the water with your fingers. After reading on here for years about replacing packing, and adjusting for a drip a minute, I am wondering if our boat has a synthetic seal, or if some type of "seal magic" is taking place.

Thanks in advance for the input.

It should more like a drip every 10 seconds or so. 1 drip a minute is not enough to keep the shaft cool.

FrankSchwab
06-08-2012, 05:06 PM
No magic. If the packing is working well, don't mess with it.

It can happen that the packing degrades, leaks too much, and needs to be replaced. Or, you have to remove the propshaft for some reason. Or, you hear that everyone else is doing it, and feel you have to. In all those cases, it's appropriate to do a change. Otherwise, nah.

I fell into the third category.

/frank

ricford
06-08-2012, 06:02 PM
I have a 96 with 360 hours, and mine doesn't leak at all either and the prop shaft doesn't seem to get hot so I'm not messing with it.

mikeg205
06-09-2012, 11:58 AM
On my 95 205 installed http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=GFO1/4X24

I barely get any drips...nice product...

Lumbergh
06-09-2012, 05:51 PM
... Or, you hear that everyone else is doing it, and feel you have to. In all those cases, it's appropriate to do a change. Otherwise, nah.

I fell into the third category.

/frank

Yes, the enablers of TT at it again.

I also fell into the third category, but then again I seem to go out of my way to find things that may or not be a problem and fix them anyway...

mikeg205
06-09-2012, 05:56 PM
@Frank - lol... Lumbergh has it right....us enablers are at it again.... :D :D

It's such an easy maintenance item...on a direct drive... I luv a dry bilge... :)

petermegan
06-09-2012, 07:37 PM
Mine hasn't dripped since I have owned it so am leaving well alone. I will probably pull to bits in the future and find my shaft is cut out where the seal bites it.

bkblaida
06-11-2012, 03:20 PM
Thanks everyone - As much as I love to "fix" our boat I am leaving well enough alone. Also thanks for the packing lead from Skidim, looks like the product to use when the time comes along to change out the packing.