PDA

View Full Version : X9/209 Hook or Trim

iggnat
06-08-2012, 02:16 PM
Sorry to regurgitate an old subject, but I just purchased a 2001 X9. Read about the early model year issues with porpoising but used X9's are like gold in NorCal. First few trips I have noticed some porpoising, but not significant. Regardless I would prefer to have none and want to vist the hook or trim tab installation. The archive talk did not provide anything definitive on design or results and my NorCal MC rep had no knowledge. Can anyone shed any experience on installing the hook or trim tab, which ones better, design specs, which ones cheaper, any positive or negative affects, etc? Appreciate the feedback.

Jerseydave
06-08-2012, 02:54 PM
This thread may help

http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47265

Also have you tried adding weight in the bow? I have no first hand experience with this but it's worth a try.

iggnat
06-08-2012, 07:00 PM
Thanks Dave. I just repaired the bow ballast bag pump and havent tried that yet but thats an excellant suggestion.

Yellow X9
06-08-2012, 08:01 PM
I have an 05 X9- I get it from time to time, if you have alot of weight in the rear, fill the ballast bag in the floor up about 1/4 to 1/2, or move 2 people to the front. But I only see this happening at higher speeds

AZX9
06-09-2012, 02:19 AM
I really haven't noticed any on my 03

curtish
06-21-2012, 02:06 AM
Sorry to regurgitate an old subject, but I just purchased a 2001 X9. Read about the early model year issues with porpoising but used X9's are like gold in NorCal. First few trips I have noticed some porpoising, but not significant. Regardless I would prefer to have none and want to vist the hook or trim tab installation. The archive talk did not provide anything definitive on design or results and my NorCal MC rep had no knowledge. Can anyone shed any experience on installing the hook or trim tab, which ones better, design specs, which ones cheaper, any positive or negative affects, etc? Appreciate the feedback.

We have an '01 X-9 and it did porpoise a bit the first year or two. Had the dealer add the "hook" to the transom and it seemed to fix the problem. If we have a ton of weight in the rear and really boogey it might bounce a little. If we have a full boat and want to really move out, we'll just sit someone in the bow. Also we always keep the front seat storage packed, which helps (tubes and crap that we never use). Haven't really noticed it in the last few years, come to think of it. :D I would not recommend getting the rudder with the trim cross on it (not sure of the correct term). I have heard that it kills your performance.