PDA

View Full Version : Comp vs CGA vest

kgrove
06-08-2012, 03:22 AM
How many of you wear comp vests versus coast guard approved life vests when wakeboarding? If you wear a CGA what type have you found is least annoying?

I'm tired of my CGA vest riding up to my chin and feeling restrictive. I'm not sure if I'm being smart by wearing a CGA vest and should just tolerate the annoyance or if I'm being a dweeb safety nut. I'm sure a CGA is safer, just not sure how much so.

Quinten
06-08-2012, 05:21 AM
I'm wearing a comp vest, billabong brian grubb. But i'm outside US so don't have problems with police

76S&S
06-08-2012, 10:00 AM
currently wearing a CGA but it weighs about 20 lbs after getting wet...........and I don't need the extra weight!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-08-2012, 10:09 AM
Only CGA certified vests behind my boat. If nothing else, I never am short on vests when checked by the lake nazis.

BrooksfamX2
06-08-2012, 10:30 AM
I wear a comp vest now, but it does not float me quite as much as a CGA vest. The comp vest does not count towards the CGA vest requirement for boat passengers. Still need the CGA vest in the boat.

bturner2
06-08-2012, 10:36 AM
Comp Hyperlite pullover. Very comfortable, light and we are diligent in paying attention to the skier when skiing. I know this is going to be one of those polarizing topics but riding with a comp vest is much less restrictive. Would I use it or let someone use it if they were not a strong swimmer..... absolutely not. Do I use it while on a pwc.... no. That being said I personally prefer and will stay with the comp vest for skiing.

For floating around we all use CGA vests.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I have been out cold once and close a couple times. A little discomfort is worth the protection a CGA provides.

Want real comfort and range of movement..............go with the belt.:rolleyes:

wrobins1
06-08-2012, 10:40 AM
I brought the Helium SWAT CGA jacket and LOVE it. It is a little heavy when wet and a little expensive but it does not fit like the other CGA jacks

BrooksfamX2
06-08-2012, 11:10 AM
I have been out cold once and close a couple times. A little discomfort is worth the protection a CGA provides.

Want real comfort and range of movement..............go with the belt.:rolleyes:

Ha, Ha......used those when we were kids .......... didnt think anything of it back then......8p

snobinge
06-08-2012, 11:16 AM
I bought a Hyperlite CGA vest at Cosco for $39. A lot more comfortable and less bulky than other CGA vests that I have used in the past. Can't beat it for 39 bucks!!!

bcd
06-08-2012, 12:29 PM
My buddy got a comp vest and I shared it for a season (his vest, my boat - think he got the better deal). I hated it. It was a little big for me, so that didn't help, but it always kept sliding up a little on me and it didn't offer much flotation. I probably sucked in 2-3 gallons of water while wearing it. Even just floating waiting for the rope or putting the board back on was a pain, and my mouth/nose was constantly going under. It fits him tighter, but he still didn't float well. Weight could be a factor too. He weighs 235 and I'm 210.

I got a Hyperlite CGA vest for the next year, and I like it a lot better. It has plenty of room for arm movement. It doesn fit a little tight, but that's what keeps you floating above the water. I don't really find it heavy or constricting for me.

Then again, maybe I could stick that scarecrow if I go back to the comp vest.

east tx skier
06-08-2012, 03:09 PM
I have worn comp vests for the last eight years. I currently have the Eagle 1 vest and it is the best I have ever owned.

mramerman@gmail.com
06-08-2012, 03:25 PM
I have been wearing the HO Outlaw comp-vest for the last three seasons. Absolutely love it.

east tx skier
06-08-2012, 03:42 PM
You mean O'Neill, right?

JohnE
06-08-2012, 03:48 PM
I have been wearing the HO Outlaw comp-vest for the last three seasons. Absolutely love it.

You mean O'Neill, right?

I think that is what he means. I have the Outlaw as well and really like it. I also have a Connelly CGA neoprene that I sometimes wear. I notice little difference between the two as far as buoyancy (sp) goes.

If you go down and out with a CGA and manage to stay strapped into your ski or board I don't think any vest will work the way it was designed.

onewheat
06-08-2012, 06:44 PM
I love my Hyperlite CGA - always wear it when in the water. I sink like a brick with no flotation so I will take all I can get. I haven't found that it restricts me at all while riding, although I am definitely no pro. My 17 Y.O. wears a Hyperlite comp and at his weight (150 - 160-ish) he doesn't feel like he sits much lower in the water. When I exhale in my CGA, my mouth dips underwater (200 lbs). I'll stick with it.

east tx skier
06-08-2012, 09:05 PM
http://www.eaglesports.com/productimages/Eagle2012/4409_f.jpg

swatguy
06-13-2012, 02:06 AM
I have the Ronix CGA. Love it. I used to love comp vests. Felt like you were wearing nothing. However I read a few articles, saw a couple vids, and saw a first hand experience of what a non CGA vest can do. Little while back I believe it was chad sharpe who took a digger and failed to emerge from the water. After reading a few more articles and seeing a couple vids I went to a CGA vest. The key to comp vests is you need to have air on your lungs for it to partially float you. Get smoked one time on a bad trick and in a flash of a second you may not be here. I also switched back to CGA vest because I tend to ride with my family more and more and less with as bigthe group. If I get lights outed my wife n 2 young daughters wont be able to do much. The CGA vest however will. I am just not good enough to stomp every trick every time so I will take a little less mobility for some added safety, but to be honest the Ronix vest fits me so good I barely feel it.
I am not going to tell someone what to wear...if you want to wear comp vest more power to you. Your choice..........however if you ride my boat you are in a CGA vest.

Some great comfy CGA vests
Ronix Kai
Jetpilot Murray
Helium Swat CGA vest version

tex
06-13-2012, 08:09 AM
I wear the Eagle and it's so comfortable I forget I have it on sometimes and will still have it on while driving an hour later!