PDA

View Full Version : Pair of combos?

Hogwild
06-07-2012, 04:44 PM
So I'm going to be new to the skiing scene overall. I mean I've combo skiied before, but not more than a couple of times a year.

What I would like to know is what you guys would recommend for a set of combo skis that both the wife and I can use and then progressively turn to slalom only. In other words, I know that I won't use combos forever and will eventually get a good slaolm ski, but I need something in the meantime that can be used as a beginner combo all the way up to a beginner crossover slaolm. I've looked, but all the combo skis seem to have really crappy bindings and I'd like to have something of a double boot setup?

Any suggestions?

madcityskier
06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
Combos won't come with double boots. If that's what you really want consider a matching set on beginner/intermediate slalom skis. Often as people are progressing they will learn to slalom by "dropping" or "kicking" a ski (depending where you live). This can only be done with a rear toe strap as the binding will block your foot. For that reason, if you do go with two slalom skis you might want one with your double boot and one with a toe plate. Also worth noting that some people really struggle to get up with a double boot setup.

BrooksfamX2
06-07-2012, 05:21 PM
I have the O'Brien Performer combos with lace up bindings and like them a lot. The have the toe straop though, it that will get you a long way.

The issue I see is foot size. If your wife has tiny feet and you have big feet, the bindings wont fit both well.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OBrien-Performer-Combo-Water-Skis&i=37748&str=comco+skis&merchID=4005

Hogwild
06-11-2012, 03:06 PM
I have the O'Brien Performer combos with lace up bindings and like them a lot. The have the toe straop though, it that will get you a long way.

The issue I see is foot size. If your wife has tiny feet and you have big feet, the bindings wont fit both well.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=OBrien-Performer-Combo-Water-Skis&i=37748&str=comco+skis&merchID=4005

Yeah, I'm about a 9 and she has a 7 or 7.5 so I'm hoping the boot will fit both. I'd seen those Performers but heard others say it was a pain in the butt getting them to tighten down. I wonder if it was just a certain year and they have corrected it now. May give them another look as those and the HO Pinnacles peaked my interest but the Pinnacles no longer come with lace down boots.

BrooksfamX2
06-11-2012, 03:27 PM
My foot is a 10.5 and they cinch up nicely. Not sure how they would do on a womens size 7 though.

mcparadise
06-11-2012, 04:31 PM
A woman's size is two sizes smaller than a guy's, so the size in men's would be 5-51/2 and they should fit both sizes according to the product description. Cheaper ones should work just as well though, I think. Wider ones w/more floatation are even better if you want to have a nice combo pair for teaching newbies.
I have an older pair of performance combo O'Briens and they are fine for everyone who's used them. Boots are softish and flexible and ADJUST easily (a major point). Under rough conditions in the bay I start on doubles and drop one and the salom ride is ok for goofing around, etc.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-11-2012, 04:37 PM
Any of the name brand combination skis will get the job done. I bought a set of HO combination skis a few years back, and the slalom ski will perform well enough for the novice slalom skier. I grew up with a set of EP and a set of Connelly Performers and had the same experience. Bindings will fiT virtually anyone.