PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Overhaul Question?

tockit
06-06-2012, 08:37 PM
What do you guys do with your boat if you want to sandblast, repair, and paint your boat trailer?

I've painted smaller outboard boats before, and that was no problem.

I can decide how to get a MC on and off the trailer and onto something stable enough to hold it while I do the job.

Just curious if anybody else had any good suggestions?

Thanks!

supturb89
06-06-2012, 09:05 PM
If you have a friend with a backhoe it would be handy. If not you could try the method in this (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=11525&highlight=dock) thread. Or if you are lucky enough to have a friend with a lift they are not using. Whichever way you choose good luck. I did mine in early spring a couple years ago, turned out great.

oxberger
06-07-2012, 11:35 AM
I used this method in my driveway:
1. Back boat on trailer into garage.
2. Lower tongue to ground and block rear of boat.
3. Raise tongue as high as you can, use blocks if needed and block up front of boat.
4. Lower tongue and pull out trailer.

Or you could borrow another trailer and switch it out until the refurb is done. Maybe rent a boat slip for a month while you refurb.

tockit
06-07-2012, 03:37 PM
I used this method in my driveway:
1. Back boat on trailer into garage.
2. Lower tongue to ground and block rear of boat.
3. Raise tongue as high as you can, use blocks if needed and block up front of boat.
4. Lower tongue and pull out trailer.

Where exactly do you block the rear of the boat at?
Will anywhere back there do, or do you look for stronger areas like under a stringer or frame, etc?

Thanks

oxberger
06-07-2012, 04:08 PM
The way I have mine blocked in the rear, I have cinderblocks covered with thick foam flush with the stern under the exhaust ports. Then I blocked the keel about 2 feet infront of the fins. Once you do that you'll need to pull the trailer up to the blocks under the keel, then you'll need to jack the boat up again in front of the blocks under the keel, once the boat is jack up again, block it up infront of the jack, remove the blocks you had closest to the fins so the trailer can then move to where the blocks you just set in front of the jack are. You'll need to do it this way a few times for each crossmember and the axle. IIRC it'll be 4 times you'll be jacking it up and moving the blocking. It's a little time consuming, but it can be done. Just take your time and alwys make sure you have blocking set up prior to removing the last blocking and the jack. If I can do it anyone can. Where in the Southeast are you? I'm in Murfreesboro, TN if you're close I'd be willing to give you a hand.