PDA

View Full Version : Bad day today...

SilviaMan
06-06-2012, 05:17 PM
So I own and operate an auto repair shop.
A few months ago my long time friend and mentor asked if we had a spot open for his kid to work with us. We did so we hired him. Kid is a little rough around the edges but a hard worker and understands that in this business you start pushing a broom and busting tires.
While test driving a vehicle today I am on my way back to the shop and I see him carrying a box out to his car. Sticking out of the box is what looks like the top to a quart of gear oil. So it was bothering me enough that I asked him what he took to his car. He tells me tools to work on his girlfriends car. I'm thinking ok, I can get that. So it festers with me and I ask him about the quart I saw sticking out of the box. After some conversation he says it was hydraulic oil and he was going to pay me for it. After some more conversation it was decided that we would go look at that box in his trunk. Found no tools and 10 cans of brake parts cleaner and 1 qt of hydraulic oil.
I am sick to my stomach about this crap! I can't believe that this went down.
I hate firing anyone, but this is a first and I am hoping that my friend understands where I'm coming from when I talk with him tonight.

After how today went I wish it was a little warmer so I could get out behind the boat and not think for a while!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-06-2012, 05:21 PM
Tough situation for you. Anything short of firing him won't be doing him any favors down the road.

Cloaked
06-06-2012, 05:28 PM
......... Found no tools and 10 cans of brake parts cleaner and 1 qt of hydraulic oil. Makes me see wrong doing but good intentions when no tools were taken, just necessities to get through another day in life. I'm a bit foregiving. He did something not approved, but there was no malicious intent with the findings in the trunk. Had the trunk been full of tools? Yes, another story. Bare necessities for getting by? A stearn talking with expectations of self-improvement. We all make mistakes that are not so obvious until someone helps out. Throw him a bone....

Lessons learned for him and a second chance.

$0.02

mzimme
06-06-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm not exactly sure how 10 cans of brake cleaner and a quart of hydrolic oil amounts to "bare necessities" to get by. Ramen noodles, sure. Parts cleaner... uhh?

Tough situation.

Double D
06-06-2012, 05:38 PM
I tend to agree with Mzimme, what in life requires stealing 10 cans of brake parts cleaner?? Theft is theft, and its wrong. Talking with your friend/mentor will help you decide what to do with him; second chance or no chance.... Good Luck!

Cloaked
06-06-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm not exactly sure how 10 cans of brake cleaner and a quart of hydrolic oil amounts to "bare necessities" to get by. Ramen noodles, sure. Parts cleaner... uhh?

Tough situation.Clean is clean. I never buy single anything.. But that is my issue with OCD.... :D seriously....

pmikler
06-06-2012, 05:53 PM
He stole from his fathers friend. If that would't stop him not much would. Let him go and explain to the father you dont think ill of him or the boy and you hope that the kid can learn form this.

kgrove
06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
I'm slow on the uptake. Is brake parts cleaner expensive and you think he was robbing you to make money? Or brake parts cleaner is used as an inhalent or like a drug and you are concerned about having to tell your friend his son has a problem? Either way it's a tough conversation. I'm just trying to learn if there is an addiction or drug abuse method I haven't heard of yet (I'm sure there are many).

motorowlands
06-06-2012, 06:01 PM
Tough situation with him being your friends kid. Not only did he steal, he also lied about it. From the sounds of it he lied more then once, as you state that after several conversations you went to his car to see what was in the box. So he had more then one opportunity to come clean and he didn't.

I'd can him, broke the two rules in life that are unacceptable to break, ever:
No lying
No stealing

ahhudgins
06-06-2012, 06:18 PM
It's taken me a long time to finally learn to say "no" when friends, family and money are involved. It's just not worth the headache. I would explain to the father what happened and fire the kid. How much would he have taken if you didn’t catch him?

Odds are that if he is “ruff around the edges”, there is something that made a bad impression on you. The fact that he stole from you only validated that impression. I have an in-law that stays in trouble with the law and his parents always make excuses for him. His own brother gave him a break and let him work in his garage and he caught the brat stealing a headlamp for a friend. The two brothers don’t speak and the parents blame the one who owns the garage, not the thief.

kgrove
06-06-2012, 06:26 PM
I did a quick Internet search and found some very disturbing information. Brake fluid is one of the common sources of the chemicals needed to home cook crystal meth or methamphetamines. There is a possibility your friend's son is either manufacturing meth himself or is selling the chemicals to somebody who is. If he is selling it, one would think it is to finance his own drug habit... It's possible there are other reasons, but this isn't something you dont want to dismiss as this could be a VERY serious problem for your friend to deal with.

Maybe I'm just naive and you all realized this right away. Bad day indeed. I hope I'm wrong.

milkmania
06-06-2012, 06:44 PM
*snip* The two brothers don’t speak and the parents blame the one who owns the garage, not the thief.

that's the way society has become....it's always someone else's fault

EricB
06-06-2012, 06:54 PM
" Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught.
Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking..."
J.C. Watts (8/13/1996, Republican National Convention

Double D
06-06-2012, 07:12 PM
" Character does count. For too long we have gotten by in a society that says the only thing right is to get by and the only thing wrong is to get caught.
Character is doing what's right when nobody is looking..."
J.C. Watts (8/13/1996, Republican National Convention

LIKE!!!

CruisinGA
06-06-2012, 07:35 PM
I did a quick Internet search and found some very disturbing information. Brake fluid is one of the common sources of the chemicals needed to home cook crystal meth or methamphetamines. There is a possibility your friend's son is either manufacturing meth himself or is selling the chemicals to somebody who is. If he is selling it, one would think it is to finance his own drug habit... It's possible there are other reasons, but this isn't something you dont want to dismiss as this could be a VERY serious problem for your friend to deal with.

Maybe I'm just naive and you all realized this right away. Bad day indeed. I hope I'm wrong.

Brake fluid or brake parts cleaner? OP states brake parts cleaner...

Sounds like he needed to work on some brakes and didn't want to buy $15 worth of raw materials. F'n lowlife

kgrove
06-06-2012, 07:47 PM
Brake fluid or brake parts cleaner? OP states brake parts cleaner...

Sounds like he needed to work on some brakes and didn't want to buy $15 worth of raw materials. F'n lowlife

Brake cleaner... Also engine starter, rubbing alcohol, batteries, and fertilizer are common sources for chemicals used in meth. Obviously the big ingredient is psuedophedrine, which is why most states now require drug stores to keep it behind the counter and only sell small quantities to a single person even though it's an over the counter medication.

Cloaked
06-06-2012, 08:09 PM
Brake cleaner... Also engine starter, rubbing alcohol, batteries, and fertilizer are common sources for chemicals used in meth. Obviously the big ingredient is psuedophedrine, which is why most states now require drug stores to keep it behind the counter and only sell small quantities to a single person even though it's an over the counter medication.And if that be the case, that is another different story for consideration of what action to take.

Jerseydave
06-06-2012, 08:26 PM
approach the young man and say "so, would you like to explain to me why you took all that brakleen from the shop or should I call the police so you can explain it to them?"

Might just scare the carp out of him....enough for him to know someone is on to his "side job"

1redTA
06-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I'd let his father handle it, hopefully he knows what his son is up to

pmkkdx
06-06-2012, 08:47 PM
since the father is a friend and/or mentor that you obviously felt close enough to take on his son ... personnally, I would meet with both the father & son for the discussion. You didn't mention what age the son was (that I recall) ... and would also depend on your relationship with the father (as blood might be thicker than friendship, and might end the later). Tough situation anyway you look at it! Stand firm on your conviction and there "may" be an un-obvious answer.

Best wishes!!! (as I really dislike the phrase "good luck")

kgrove
06-06-2012, 09:21 PM
There is a potential this is an over-reaction... Possible this really is just a dumb kid who didn't want to pay for those 10 cans of parts cleaner so he could work on his girlfriends car. BUT...

If this is for a meth cook, this is one of the most serious drug addictions a person could possibly have. If your friend knows about the addiction, you telling him about the possibility could go over almost like you gave his son a death sentence. If he doesn't know anything about meth, you should urge him to look into it. It would be very easy for a parent to dismiss this as similar to a kid experimenting with marijuana but Meth is in a totally different league. Nothing to take lightly at all... Nastiest drug ever created.

I truly hope I'm wrong, but this sounds like a meth problem. Be careful talking with your friend as this could go over like a bombshell. That said, if it were one of my kids I'd want to know... Especially if it was presented to me as a possibility not a flat out accusation based on flimsy evidence. The boys family can't help the kid from killing himself if they don't even suspect he has a problem. This makes me sick even having to think about it. Ugly situation.

2RLAKE
06-06-2012, 09:39 PM

this is exactly what i was thinking

at the end of the day integrity is all anyone has ... this is something that has to be dealt with swiftly and as any other employee ... things such as thing need to have the same standard implications for all ... hard lesson but then life isn't easy

hondaprlud
06-06-2012, 09:52 PM
That's tough news from both sides. I tend to think you'd be doing him a long term favor by calling him out and letting him go. Some of my best lessons started with a dumb mistake like this.

ncsone
06-06-2012, 10:10 PM
I would say that if the kid's dad was calling to find him a job, then there most likely are already issues with the kid. And, it sounds like there may be more issues at play here than simple theft.

Just my $.02.

Table Rocker
06-06-2012, 10:13 PM
Stealing from someone who is paying you to be there is the bottom of the barrel in my book. I have more respect for burglars. At least they aren't cashing a check from you at the same time, and if they are caught they don't beg for another chance.

My thoughts have always been that second chances work best in second locations. "Move on down the road son."

JimN
06-06-2012, 10:25 PM
I'd put some fear in this kid. Throw all of the reasons in his face that people will be ashamed of him- his dad got him the job, he was stealing from where he works and that's biting the hand that feeds him, you wanted to trust him but now you can't, etc. If he acts like he doesn't care about his dad getting him the job, kick him to the curb and make him pay for what he stole. If you have security cameras, look as far back as you can for more evidence.

If he acts like he doesn't care and gets all defiant, fire him and make sure you won't have to pay unemployment.

onewheat
06-07-2012, 01:30 AM
Wow - after working in a dealership for years and seeing all of the things technicians took home from work to do side jobs - cooking meth would have NEVER entered my mind. We could easily go through cans and cans of brake cleaner a day working on things.

The theft alone would cause me to have concern with an employee - what they do on their own time is not my problem.

SilviaMan
06-07-2012, 10:09 AM
Thank you all for your replies.
I never would have thought about meth... that is an interesting view, I'll have to do some research on that one.
I was with onewheat on this one, I just figured he was taking the brake cleaner for general use as cleaner.
I had a good conversation with his father and that relationship is in good standing. I think we were both worried about the others reaction and it turned out well.
As far as the kid, we are taking the hard line on theft and he will be let go. I think that it will work out to be a good learning experience for him ( I hope .) I think that we will have a stern conversation with him about stealing from your place of employment and the possible ramifications if he were caught by someone else.
He is 18 years old by the way. Just graduated school. I have done some really dumb things in my life too. I think I'm more disappointed in him than anything else.
I know his father will deal with the situation in his way and I'm comfortable with that.

Granite_33
06-07-2012, 10:39 AM
Congrats, sounds like you handled it the right way.......

You and his father telling him that you had high expectations for him that he did not live up to will (hopefully) have a serious impact.

LaRue
06-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Communicating and applying consequences to his choice is assisting him in the long run with making choices throughout life. Communicating that you expect better choices in the future AND that you believe he will make better choices in the future has proved effective in my life. Messages from those closest to him that indicate he has what is needed to make good choices...we believe in you...we trust you will learn from this...will help build him up. He may or may not show it, but I believe he is not happy with himself either. Help show him how to grow up to be a man who takes responsibility for his actions and who you value enough to help show him how to win the respect of other men.

SilviaMan
06-07-2012, 11:34 AM
Communicating and applying consequences to his choice is assisting him in the long run with making choices throughout life. Communicating that you expect better choices in the future AND that you believe he will make better choices in the future has proved effective in my life. Messages from those closest to him that indicate he has what is needed to make good choices...we believe in you...we trust you will learn from this...will help build him up. He may or may not show it, but I believe he is not happy with himself either. Help show him how to grow up to be a man who takes responsibility for his actions and who you value enough to help show him how to win the respect of other men.

Thank you, very eloquent reply. I think you are probably right!

kgrove
06-07-2012, 11:54 AM
I hope to hell I'm wrong, but 10 cans of brake cleaner is such a weird thing to steal... If he was doing some kind of side project would he ever conceivably use that much?

Brake cleaner has toluene, a chemical used in small scale meth production. If the kid is using meth, it is a very serious drug and his dad should be scared ****less. If the boy or somebody he knows is cooking meth for profit, they are helping to screw up the lives of countless other kids. Meth is the most addictive drug there is and is not one to take lightly. Maybe his dad can use the theft to require his kid to get drug tested as well? Really flimsy evidence... This would be hard to handle. I'm obsessing about this only because I know how much damage meth can do to a kid and their family.

aquaman
06-07-2012, 12:13 PM
I hope to hell I'm wrong, but 10 cans of brake cleaner is such a weird thing to steal... If he was doing some kind of side project would he ever conceivably use that much?

Brake cleaner has toluene, a chemical used in small scale meth production. If the kid is using meth, it is a very serious drug and his dad should be scared ****less. If the boy or somebody he knows is cooking meth for profit, they are helping to screw up the lives of countless other kids. Meth is the most addictive drug there is and is not one to take lightly. Maybe his dad can use the theft to require his kid to get drug tested as well? Really flimsy evidence... This would be hard to handle. I'm obsessing about this only because I know how much damage meth can do to a kid and their family.

I agree, this is not simply a "theft" for profit, or an accidental lack of judgment. This kid has too much interest in a "utility brake cleaner" to make sense to us. But be sure there was a purpose to his theft.....
Drugs are very powerful and cause many kids to lose values, jobs and lives.

Much of this discussion is about the kid, he is really an adult. :/

thatsmrmastercraft
06-07-2012, 12:44 PM
One can for his own use would be questionable this early in the employment. 12 is another story.

Any update SilviaMan?

SilviaMan
06-07-2012, 02:30 PM
Well, he settled up his tab for some tires and picked up his tools.
He was still pretty tight lipped about what his intentions were for the cleaner.
During our talk he gave me the feeling that the cleaner was for someone else. Still have no clue on the hydraulic oil, but thats beside the point.
I'm still struggling with the possible meth ties and how to approach that subject with his father. As a volunteer fireman he was trained in dealing with meth labs and chemicals associated with meth production. I'm just not sure if his mind will take him in that direction as I didn't think of it until I read the comments on this board.
I did let him know that if he was supplying someone with product to make illegal substances that he could likely get in trouble along with the people making any such things.
I also made sure he understood that there could have been much more severe consequences to stealing from your place of employment.
I think he got it... now I'll have to do some talking with my wife and parents to see if I should let my friend know my concerns.
I think if my daughter was possibly getting involved with any type of substance abuse or people that were involved in manufacturing or substance abuse I would want to know....
Tough situation still!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-07-2012, 02:48 PM
My son is 18 and I would really want to hear from his employer if he was fired for a similar situation. I might not like the news, but I would want to know about it.

76S&S
06-07-2012, 02:58 PM
I had a recent situation where my kids were hearing some very bad things about one of their friends and to make matters worse, my wife and I are friends with the kids parents. After much thought and discussing it with the wife I called the kids father. After some chit chat, I let him know that it was a very difficult call to make but it was a call that I would want him to make if the situation was reversed and then I proceeded to lay things out on the table.

The call went as well as I could have expected. He followed up on the situation with his son and even called me a week or two later to let me know how things turned out. Where I'm going with this is, I believe in doing what is right for the kid. If the parent(s) can't see that then maybe they aren't/weren't such good friends after all.

Philscbx
06-07-2012, 03:19 PM

I'm obsessing about this only because I know how much damage meth can do to a kid and their family. As a professional engine builder for Pro Stock turbo engines - a case of brake/contact cleaner is about a weeks worth.

If not used for Meth, which I had no idea- then it's a Huffing event.
If can/s are seen floating around in a vehicle, lost in the yard, I'd be very suspect.

It took me 2-3 years before I figured out a friend was caught up in Meth.
Brought on by a woman who worked a head shop at the end of strip mall his shop was in.
Some of the stories He would come up with, just didn't make sense - but almost believable.

Then visiting a distant friend across town -
I was told how an employee at his Company in a brand new house had ripped out all the sheet rock looking for what was thought a listening device.

Like a tons of bricks free-falling - I called my friend the next minute and laid it on the line the jig was up.
I was so pissed, I could of beat him to a pulp for all the years of torture.

milkmania
06-07-2012, 03:31 PM
nevermind

scott023
06-07-2012, 03:44 PM

I couldn't agree more. Scary situation. Might be time to get the authorities involved? We need to do everything we can to get that crap (meth) off the streets.

SilviaMan
06-07-2012, 04:21 PM
As a professional engine builder for Pro Stock turbo engines - a case of brake/contact cleaner is about a weeks worth.

We go through alot of brake clean too. Which is why there are several case's kept in stock here.
Sorry to hear about your friend! I definitely want to get to the bottom of this whole thing... I don't know that I will ever really know whats going on.
I'm working on how I plan to word this to my buddy. I'll keep you guys updated on any further developments.
Thanks again for all the support!

atlfootr
06-07-2012, 04:35 PM
Stealing is stealing ... who gives a crap what it is that's stolen.
So like what's this stuff worth on the black market?

Hope you and his Father can straighten him out, good luck!

thatsmrmastercraft
06-07-2012, 04:48 PM
Stealing is stealing ... who gives a crap what it is that's stolen.
So like what's this stuff worth on the black market?

Hope you and his Father can straighten him out, good luck!

Same price it costs at Autozone (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/AutoZone-14-oz-brake-parts-cleaner/_/N-25h0?itemIdentifier=8130_0_0_).

atlfootr
06-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Same price it costs at Autozone (http://www.autozone.com/autozone/accessories/AutoZone-14-oz-brake-parts-cleaner/_/N-25h0?itemIdentifier=8130_0_0_).
Guess that's a cheap high, when one considers the finally end results ...

BriEOD
06-07-2012, 04:59 PM
I had a recent situation where my kids were hearing some very bad things about one of their friends and to make matters worse, my wife and I are friends with the kids parents. After much thought and discussing it with the wife I called the kids father. After some chit chat, I let him know that it was a very difficult call to make but it was a call that I would want him to make if the situation was reversed and then I proceeded to lay things out on the table.

The call went as well as I could have expected. He followed up on the situation with his son and even called me a week or two later to let me know how things turned out. Where I'm going with this is, I believe in doing what is right for the kid. If the parent(s) can't see that then maybe they aren't/weren't such good friends after all.

This is well said.

Certainly the stealing and lying is concerning, but the potential for illegal drug usage, manufacturing, and distribution is far more serious. As someone who works in law enforcement, I can tell you that meth labs are extremely dangerous. In fact, when law enforcement responds to a scene in which a meth lab is discovered, we treat it as a hazardous materials situation and bring in a HAZMAT team. The dollars and cents tied up in these types of responses typically correlate to harsher sentences in the courts for meth-related cases.

If it were me, I would make contact with the father again and present him the facts. In this short thread, I've read two mechanics state that the quantity of this product that this young man attempted to steal far exceeds the maximum quantity used in a shop. So, I have to question what is one person going to do with that amount of product? Secondly, I think it is clear that the product contains chemicals that may be used to manufacture meth. Finally, I'd make it clear to the father that you are not stating that you have any proof that the young man is dealing with meth as a user or manufacturer, but that his conduct, coupled with the facts at hand, and stated above, circumstantially suggest that he could be involved with, at some level, meth.

I think if you stick to that you will have done your duty to provide warning to a parent and friend. If your friend takes it the wrong way, at least you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you did the right thing. Alternatively, what if this young man is selling meth out of your friend's house, he is caught, tried, sentenced, and your friend loses his house in the process?

Just my .02.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-07-2012, 05:01 PM
This is well said.

Certainly the stealing and lying is concerning, but the potential for illegal drug usage, manufacturing, and distribution is far more serious. As someone who works in law enforcement, I can tell you that meth labs are extremely dangerous. In fact, when law enforcement responds to a scene in which a meth lab is discovered we treat it as a hazardous materials situation, and bring in a HAZMAT team. The dollars and cents tied up in these types of responses typically correlate to harsher sentences in the courts for meth-related cases.

If it were me, I would make contact with the father again and present him the facts. In this short thread I've read two mechanics state that the quantity of this product that this young man attempted to steal far exceeds the maximum quantity used in a shop. So I have to question what is one person going to do with that amount of product? Secondly, I think it is clear that the product contains chemicals that may be used to manufacture meth. Finally, I'd make it clear to the father that you are not stating that you have any proof that the young man is dealing with meth as a user or manufacturer, but that his conduct, coupled with the facts at hand, and stated above, circumstantially suggest that he may be involved with, at some level, meth.

I think if you stick to that you will have done your duty to provide warning to a parent and friend. If your friend takes it the wrong way, at least you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you did the right thing. Alternatively, what if this young man is selling meth out of your friends house, he is caught, tried, sentenced, and your friend loses his house in the process?

Just my .02.

Pretty darn hard to find a good side to this situation.

pmkkdx
06-07-2012, 05:06 PM
Just out of curiosity (since I was skeptical), I did a quick Yahoo search on "brake cleaner use meth labs" ... I am now a believer that this could have been motive. below are some links to help with your research that I checked out.

Kansas Dept. of Health & Environment http://www.kdheks.gov/methlabs/meth_lab_components.html

Street Drugs . org http://www.streetdrugs.org/html%20files/Meth%20Labs.html ... (also saw that brake cleaner is Toluene, which is also used as an octane booster ... from back in my old hot rod days & the shift to unleaded gasoline).

About . com on Alcoholism "How to recognize a meth lab" http://alcoholism.about.com/od/meth/a/methlab.htm

there are numerous other sites listed too ...

mzimme
06-07-2012, 05:14 PM
I live in Missouri... let me walk outside and ask the first guy without teeth. He'll probably give me a recipe for cooking the stuff on the spot.

Lots of people with black decaying teeth in this area...

Philscbx
06-07-2012, 05:19 PM
I think if you stick to that you will have done your duty to provide warning to a parent and friend.

If your friend takes it the wrong way, at least you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you did the right thing.
Alternatively, what if this young man is selling meth out of your friends house, he is caught, tried, sentenced, and your friend loses his house in the process?

Just my .02.Right, this is so much bigger than the event leading up to it.
I could get over $30 worth of cleaner - But it's the deal behind it that this parent needs to really get in touch with every minute of the day.

Knowing his kids & friends every move w/o letting on.
If some activity out with the gang seems odd, He needs to try to get involved looking like it's by accident or what ever works.
I'd go as far as going to friends parents as a BBQ with the kids, then garage to see if same products are stashed.

Hope the heck it works out in the end.
Better Yet, I hope it's nothing.
Seems when we were kids, we all had jobs too busy to get into much.

kgrove
06-07-2012, 05:20 PM
I'm really really glad the OP bothered to vent a bad day on this forum and included the specifc stolen contents. If our worst fears are true, this could be an incredible stroke of good luck that allows an otherwise unsuspecting family to spot a drug addiction early and to try and help their boy. Unfortunately the "repair rate" on meth addicts is awful.

For any of you who have kids, especially teens, there are several really good documentaries on meth including one on HBO and one from Frontline. If you haven't seen them I'd recommend watching them along with your kids. They are extremely educational and will simultaneously open your eyes, scare you to death, and make you want to vomit.