PDA

View Full Version : How to clean a cover

captain planet
06-06-2012, 04:32 PM
So a raccoon made my shed at the lake his chalet for the winter and my spare boat cover was his bed. After I clean all the hair off of it, how do I clean it? Can I just throw it in the washer and then spray it with Scotch-Guard?

hondaprlud
06-06-2012, 04:38 PM
I would think you'd have take it to a laundromat with the commercial machines. I'd probably be too big to wash at home.

But I don't see why you couldn't

JRW160
06-06-2012, 05:07 PM
I used a 5 or 7 load commercial machine at the laundromat to wash mine, then hung it outside to dry. After that I used 2 bottles of 303 fabric guard on it.

Cloaked
06-06-2012, 05:08 PM
I stretch mine over the boat, scrub it with suds, then pressure rinse it right there on the boat.

Each to their own...

$0.02

east tx skier
06-06-2012, 06:37 PM
I used a 5 or 7 load commercial machine at the laundromat to wash mine, then hung it outside to dry. After that I used 2 bottles of 303 fabric guard on it.

This works well. Go easy on the detergent and do a double rinse cycle.

Alternatively, you can lay them out at a DIY carwash and hit it with the high pressure wand. But don't hit it too hard with the pressure.

303 Fabric Guard is recommended for Sunbrella covers.

Philscbx
06-06-2012, 06:59 PM
The new tip of the week for me was a mixture of - 1 Dawn dish soap to 2 Hydrogen/Peroxide.

I suspect the ammonia in the dish soap is the main ingredient.
Just don't mix bleach with dish soap. Poison gas for sure.

Pour it on - scrub it edge to edge - wash it - or the Car Wash.

I have one really ugly stained canvas off the S&S, and before/after shots will be done.
I just have to find the commercial washers.

Or shove it into a kiddy pool of concentrate.

Wired_Right
06-06-2012, 11:18 PM
I am washing mine as the laundry mat while I have a a Sierra Nevada next store at the Bar.

I used Kirkland Brand Liquid Laundry Detergent.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d4ed-0f31-80b5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d4ed-0ec5-aba5.jpg

Philscbx
06-07-2012, 12:07 AM
I am washing mine as the laundry mat while I have a a Sierra Nevada next store at the Bar.Now That's Wired Politically Correct.

ctjahn
06-07-2012, 06:14 AM
I am washing mine as the laundry mat while I have a a Sierra Nevada next store at the Bar.

I used Kirkland Brand Liquid Laundry Detergent.

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d4ed-0f31-80b5.jpg

http://img.tapatalk.com/c6e4d4ed-0ec5-aba5.jpg

I like the torpedo or the extra IPA (Which I think are both Sierra Nevadas?....Anyways.)

I just had mine dry cleaned last week (just wasnt sure about a commercial wash machine with all those rings and straps for my 78 cover not to mention its OLD....). Cost me $27.xx. Doesnt look new (would you expect a 1978 cover to look new after a wash?) but looks a heck of a lot better and cleaned off years of sap, mildew and crud..... My next step was to treat/seal it it but havent had time before we leave for vaca up north Wi (Saturday); dont have a before pic close up but may be able to get an after pic before we head out.

BrooksfamX2
06-07-2012, 09:55 AM
I stretch mine over the boat, scrub it with suds, then pressure rinse it right there on the boat.

Each to their own...

$0.02

I do the same. Wash it while on the boat.........

Rossterman
06-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Mine on the 2001 205v was pretty dirty . Mildew stains sitting with water puddling all winter. Took to the laundromat and washed. Got it home and although much better still pretty stained. Layed it out on the lawn and used oyxclean. Sprinkled granuals and scrubbed them in with a rv wash broom. Came out looking brand new!

captain planet
06-12-2012, 02:42 PM

Each to their own...

$0.02

I think I like this idea the best......don't know why I didn't think of it, mostly because I don't want any part of raccoon inside my boat at all. Maybe I'll take it to a laundry mat just to keep the rodent hair/fir/dust/etc. away from the boat. Until I just read this I hadn't heard of washing a boat cover. Thanks for the input.