PDA

View Full Version : Water in 8 cylinder... oil

Pitch
06-06-2012, 12:07 AM
I fixed my water circulation problem with the new impeller but it led to the discovery of another problem.

Had the boat out for a good 30 minutes and it was running great. Shut her down and checked the oil and it was white and frothy. Got her home and pulled the plugs. Only plug that showed evidence of water was the 8 cylinder plug.

Pulled the heads and exhaust manifolds and did not see any obvious problems. the right side head gasket did have a crack or separation near one of the ports that is adjacent to 8 cylinder. Picture is below, does anybody know if this would lead to water in 8 cylinder?

Thanks in advance for the help I know I'll get.

Philscbx
06-06-2012, 01:21 AM
if this would lead to water in 8 cylinder?I'd like to see the head at #8 if it's possible - well lit/focused.

If the head at #8 looks like new vs carbon coated in the others - that indeed is a headgasket leak sucking coolant in at each intake stroke.

But that doesn't usually lead to water in the oil.
Unless oil drain ports in the head lead to a spot in the gasket, where water can enter oil drain back port -
probably in a corner position.

Also look carefully at valley under intake at cylinder wall for any sign of micro cracks.
Water entering into valley would drain into oil.

Machine shop can inspect heads for warpage/cracks - if valve job is due - they will advise.
With heads back in place - leaving intake off - this is going to be hard part to pressure check the cooling system -
To verify no leaks in the block.
Serious brainstorming here - maybe with use of air regulated to 20-30psi and enough ports blocked off
one might see signs of leak

To remove oil/water mix in pan - will need vacuum tank on drain hose -
adding solvent to oil pan and verifying it's clear as possible coming through to the tank in see through poly hose on the oil drain hose.
But all testing needs to be done first so no added water gets into pan.

I made mod to 20lb refrigerant tank - then use lab style vacuum pump to about 25 inches of vacuum.
To drain contents - pressurize to 20PSI, invert the tank - place poly hose into drain oil container.

Oil Filter needs to be replaced.

Hoping for the best..

johnlanguab
06-06-2012, 08:51 AM
Too, on oil/water removal, I've seen folks flush the system with diesel fuel.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-06-2012, 09:12 AM
I fixed my water circulation problem with the new impeller but it led to the discovery of another problem.

Had the boat out for a good 30 minutes and it was running great. Shut her down and checked the oil and it was white and frothy. Got her home and pulled the plugs. Only plug that showed evidence of water was the 8 cylinder plug.

Pulled the heads and exhaust manifolds and did not see any obvious problems. the right side head gasket did have a crack or separation near one of the ports that is adjacent to 8 cylinder. Picture is below, does anybody know if this would lead to water in 8 cylinder?

Thanks in advance for the help I know I'll get.

A blown head gasket can most definatly lead to water intrusion. Inspect, replace necessary parts and change oil.

Pitch
06-06-2012, 10:57 AM
Too, on oil/water removal, I've seen folks flush the system with diesel fuel.

Will be doing diesel flush.

Also having heads magna fluxed and pressure tested, with valve job while they are out.

Any ideas on a way to test exhaust manifold?

I suspect head gasket, especially with the recent impeller problem and subsequent overheatings. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a cracked block and exhaust manifolds typically a problem more commonly associated with freezing and not overheating?

Philscbx
06-06-2012, 05:19 PM
but isn't a cracked block and exhaust manifolds typically a problem more commonly associated with freezing and not overheating?Right, severe over heating tends to make parts change shape just enough to leak at gaskets if high pressure present.

If it's a PO boat, freezing situation could be a hidden issue where crack from over heating is now showing itself.

wtrskr
06-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Will be doing diesel flush.

Also having heads magna fluxed and pressure tested, with valve job while they are out.

Any ideas on a way to test exhaust manifold?

I suspect head gasket, especially with the recent impeller problem and subsequent overheatings. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't a cracked block and exhaust manifolds typically a problem more commonly associated with freezing and not overheating?

Some machine shops can test the manifolds.

I tried a method at home but not sure if it really works because it turned out I didn't have a crack in mine. You tip the manifold upside down and pour acetone into the areas where the water normally goes. The theory is that acetone is thinner than water and will find its way through any cracks and you'll see it. I wish I would have taken a picture when I gave it a try.

If it were me, since you already have the heads off, I'd just take care of the head gasket and hope it isn't the exhaust manifold. If it turns out to be the mainfold you can replace that without having to take the engine apart again.