PDA

View Full Version : Got my 3 year old up on a wakeskate yesterday...

RobertT
08-22-2005, 09:17 PM
www.trask.smugmug.com

go to "lake moments" then "August surfing"...

It was a supreme day, goofing around with both of my kids and friends. Doesn't get much better than that.

This is what owning a boat should be about. Thought I would share :)

DanC
08-22-2005, 09:27 PM
Very cool! Great Pics!

How is that kayaking behing the boat? Looks crazy :toast:

ski_king
08-22-2005, 09:41 PM
Nice pictures. Looks like the kids and dad were having a blast.

Nice setup you have there. I like that shack on top of the hill behind your boat at the dock.

PendO
08-22-2005, 10:36 PM
Ditto on the pictures of your kids, they are awesome!!!!! I can hear my daughter crying already if I tried that;( Did you have to bribe your daughter at all, she looks to be having way too much fun!

bcampbe7
08-23-2005, 12:22 AM
Great pics Robert! Kids look like they are having a blast.
And nice lakehouse!

parks_jr_55
08-23-2005, 01:42 AM
Nice shack.

SteveO
08-23-2005, 03:18 AM
That is way to cool. Who was driving the X during the shoot? My wife won't let let me do much with my 3 yr old in the water. I bet your daughter is hooked.

sizzler
08-23-2005, 03:43 AM
great shots robert....she looks like she needed no coercing......

shack???? i'll say :uglyhamme

Cary K.
08-23-2005, 09:26 AM
Very cool pics, always a blast with the kids.

BTW, that wakeskate looks a whole lot like a wake surfboard ;)

RobertT
08-23-2005, 10:02 AM
Thanks guys, it was a great time.

Hahaha, you are right...that is a surf board. My bad...just a brain fart.

She didn't take any coaxing at all, she is always ready to go as long as I am with her. I bought her skis, and every day she says she wants to go skiing but then once she gets on the swim platform...she decides she needs to get a little bigger:)

Thanks for the compliments guys!

By the way, I am looking out of my window now and the world record figure 8 barefoot guy is on my neighbors dock, watching those guys is incredible. I need to get to work:)
The wake surf idea worked well, easy and slow.

I had a friend driving the boat, my wife is pregnant, so she has been out of commission this summer. Bummer.

Oh, and the kayaking, its actually quite violent. You have to have a solid hand roll, and its very hard on your body because you are locked in. Having that said....its fun as heck! Not for every day, but with my wife pregnant I have not been able to drive to NC/WV/TN/etc to paddle, so this had to do.

MarkP
08-23-2005, 10:26 AM
Wow, Great shots!! Thatís a brave 3 yr old.:worthy: .

ski_king
08-23-2005, 10:38 AM
Again looks like the kids had a blast with dad.

Nice pictures, how about one from the house down to the dock?

The only problem is after a hard day of skiing, it may be a long, sore climb back up those stairs.

ski_king
08-23-2005, 10:41 AM
..........I need to get to work:).......Must be a lot of ditches that need doug out there in MO! ;)

RobertT
08-23-2005, 12:18 PM
Must be a lot of ditches that need doug out there in MO! ;)

I love laying pipe :uglyhamme

Maristar210
08-23-2005, 01:21 PM
I'll say it again,

RobertT? oh yeah...... he's loaded

Me ....I'm like the new house, new car, new pool, how do I do it guy on TV .......I'm in debt up to my eyeballs. :steering:

JK
Very nice shots RT!!!!

I like the man sized interlocking concrete pieces :banana:

Steve

RobertT
08-23-2005, 01:34 PM
I'll say it again,

RobertT? oh yeah...... he's loaded

Steve

I am serious, I dig ditches for a living, and lay pipe, and stuff. I built that house myself (with a little help).

The concrete blocks were awesome! They work perfect for that application.

You cant see it from those pictures, but there is a golf cart path that goes down to a 30' turn around with a fire pit in the middle (at the top of the steps). The blocks enabled us to do that, regular keystones would have been pretty hard, parts of the wall are 14' tall.

The other homes near me have on average 100 steps going straight up the hill to their back yard. I will take my little flight of steps any day:)

I have never lived or even spent much time around a lake before, this is definitely a treat for us all. We are blessed. I even got the right boat right up front, which was a score! No buyers regret here at all.

My son is the one who is going nuts out here. Little turd learns things so easy. His next thing is barefooting...that should be funny to watch. ;)

Maristar210
08-23-2005, 01:38 PM
I am serious, I dig ditches for a living, and lay pipe, and stuff. I built that house myself (with a little help).

The concrete blocks were awesome! They work perfect for that application.

You cant see it from those pictures, but there is a golf cart path that goes down to a 30' turn around with a fire pit in the middle (at the top of the steps). The blocks enabled us to do that, regular keystones would have been pretty hard, parts of the wall are 14' tall.

The other homes near me have on average 100 steps going straight up the hill to their back yard. I will take my little flight of steps any day:)

I have never lived or even spent much time around a lake before, this is definitely a treat for us all. We are blessed. I even got the right boat right up front, which was a score! No buyers regret here at all.

My son is the one who is going nuts out here. Little turd learns things so easy. His next thing is barefooting...that should be funny to watch. ;)

Robert

Sounds like you earn your money. I am happy for you. I WAS just kidding you know. I'll have to take some pic's of the houses down by the dam. The homes are hundreds of feet above the water and they have mine trolley's that allow them to get up and down without having to climb stairs. If you have never seen this type of stuff (sounds like you have) it is pretty incredible. I'll post a "honey could you go get my cell phone?, up twenty flights of stairs" ramble off!! ;)

Steve

RobertT
08-23-2005, 02:01 PM
Its still a long way up there. A few people have trolleys, but they are only allowed if you have a handicap, and mental doesn't count. I tried.

This may sound a little sick, but I told my 11 year old that every time he talks back to his mother that he has to "fill the cooler". Rather than spank or yell, if he gets out of line he has to take a 16oz empty glass, run down to the lake, fill it up, then run back up to the back steps and dump it into a little cooler thingy. It takes about 3 trips if he doesn't spill a drop, and 4 if he runs and spills a little.

He doesn't talk back to his mother very often anymore:)

rlivingood
08-23-2005, 02:25 PM
Great pictures. My 4 year old would love to try this if she saw those shots. How do you sit in the water or start with the two of you on the wake surfer?

RobertT
08-23-2005, 02:53 PM
I would suggest starting with a longer rope...I was going slow and didn't really "surf" with them...I needed the rope to stay on. I would prefer not to have her so close to the boat...so next time I will use a longer rope.

Anyway, I laid down in the water on my back, with both heels laying on the board. My daughter just jumped onto my chest, and laid on top of me facing up. I held onto her nice and tight.

When the boat started going, it forces the board to flip up onto your feet and you just pop right up.

Once up, she was still about 2' above the board, I was still holding her. Then I just squatted down and put her feet on the board, and that was that.

It was really easy, and a great way to them to get a feel for balance/motor noise/speed/etc.

For my 11 year old, I just surfed up until the nose of the board was ontop of the swim platform, and he just walked on. The boat driver didn't even know we were going to do it....he just looked back and Zack was on the board with me.

I don't know how safe it was...but it was pretty cool!

Davo
08-23-2005, 03:13 PM
I built that house myself (with a little help).
Wow. BTW, it's a great design - very unique.

We'll take our friends' kids (none for us...yet) on the wakeboard with us to get them comfortable being behind the boat. It looks a little easier on the wakesurf board though(more room for them to stand - and traction). Good idea - I'll bet she was excited.