PDA

View Full Version : Talk me into...or out of a V-Drive

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-05-2012, 05:31 PM
Looking to upgrade the 1987 Prostar 190 after this season. My boys are getting older and bigger and bringing friends and we are running out of room. Obviously looking for an open bow and have been thinking v-drive all the way. I think I would really like the open seating in a v-drive and my kids primarily wake board/skate although my 13 year old has recently asked to learn to slalom. So now i'm wondering if a newer well loved D-drive fill my needs and save me some $$$ to boot as v-drives usually cost more.

Things I like about the D-Drive is the ease of getting to the engine and other components for maintenance. I also love the way the D-Drive handles and have heard that V's don't handle as well, but I have never driven one.

Looking for advice from someone with experience with both types of boats.

captain planet
06-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Looking to upgrade the 1987 Prostar 190 after this season. My boys are getting older and bigger and bringing friends and we are running out of room. Obviously looking for an open bow and have been thinking v-drive all the way. I think I would really like the open seating in a v-drive and my kids primarily wake board/skate although my 13 year old has recently asked to learn to slalom. So now i'm wondering if a newer well loved D-drive fill my needs and save me some $$$ to boot as v-drives usually cost more.

Things I like about the D-Drive is the ease of getting to the engine and other components for maintenance. I also love the way the D-Drive handles and have heard that V's don't handle as well, but I have never driven one.

Nothing handles like a DD.

Sounds like you need to get yourself a 205 for what you are doing. It is probably the best all around boat MC ever made (although the argument for the 205V being the best could also be made). The 205 weighted properly will have a nice wakeboard wake and you will still get a very good wake for your slalom fans.

mwg
06-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I've never owned a DD but my 205V handles great. It has a decent slalom wake (at least for my skill level) and without ballast it has a pretty good wakeboard wake.

d36yzrider
06-05-2012, 06:20 PM
nothing beats how a direct drive performs no matter how u cut it the motor in the center keeps everything well balanced. as for doing work on your boat some vee drives are worse than others id go with a newer prostar they are alot wider also

pmkkdx
06-05-2012, 06:21 PM
I had a similar situation with needing more room as my kids got older and transitioning more into wakeboarding ... but my wife only slaloms (non-aggressive skier in the least). We had an '83 S&S that was my baby and it had been pampered & very well taken care of by me for 22 plus years. Due to two back surgeries, my behind-the-boat time was limited to none. After searching countless hours of posts here on TT, I started my quest to find a low hour, decent shape 205V X series (orginal XStar, X2, X1). Yes I miss the much smaller size SS for handling in tighter locations and extremely flat slalom speed wake along with that "look" (I still love that style/appearance) but our '04 X2 really is much better suited for our family's needs ... my wife can still slalom, my son (27 y/o) boards & surfs fairly agressively and my daughter (26) boards & skies ... I drive and jump in to cool off. It really offers decent interior room with the much more open layout where we can comfortably fit 3 to 4 adult couples and could stuff in a few more if needed (never tried 12 in the nose though :rolleyes:). I have pulled a wide variety of levels of skiing, boarding, surfing and even (God forbid) tubes ... friends and church youth groups ... and the ballast can be adjusted to have a decent (not pro tournament level) wake for anything we have tried. Just an all around good boat / hull design to me. Yes, there are other MC that offer better wake for boarding ... or surfing ... or skiing ... but this seems to have the 90% solution all in one package (this is pretty much the advice I got 3-4 years ago when I started my quest and I have to wholeheartedly agree). ... :twocents:

madcityskier
06-05-2012, 06:26 PM
Skied, boarded, surfed and driven both. No v will handle like your 190, by a long shot. You're in a Ferrari and looking at a Porsche Cayann. Outstanding, but not the same. Still better than an I/O that at best would handle as well as a Suburban. Again, nothing wrong with it, but not the same. V drives can provide great space, and if you only ski recreationally, it should be fine. Keep in mind that these are generalities, knowing what v drive you're looking at could help as there will definitely be people here with model specific knowledge.

Granite_33
06-05-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm a fan of DD boats, and have always felt that way because I am never going to get too crazy wakeboarding, but I always feel like I can do better and can push harder on a slalom. Handling is second to none. Love my X-9 for all the people room it has too.

So check out used X-9's or new/used X-14's to see if its big enough for you and your family. If you think you need more room than that, then you will want to move to a V drive.

The only other suggestion I would have is to look down the road 3-5 years and picture what the fam is going to be doing then.

ahhudgins
06-05-2012, 07:00 PM

I did the exact same thing...traded my 87 Prostar for a Maristar 200VRS. When my two sons reached their teens we were bringing more kids to the lake every weekend (plus the dog). I installed a tower on my Prostar so we could use the back seat when we skied but I never got board racks for it. I got tired of climbing over boards, skis, vests, coolers, etc, and the wife said "We need a bigger boat". I do mis the way the Prostar handled, but we are just recreational skiers and we needed the room. Now that my kids are grown they don't come to the lake as much, but when they do they usually bring friends.

True, my V-drive doesn't handle like my old Prostar, but have no problem packing 8 people and gear in it.

gts-20
06-05-2012, 07:41 PM
We love our DD 214, but as we get older, we are doing a little more wakeboarding and a little less slalom. If I had to do it over again I think I would have gone with the 214v/x14v. Best of both worlds and has more storage room.

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Good advice from everyone I really do like the 209 and 214's but they are hard to come by.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Jerseydave
06-05-2012, 09:44 PM
If your time is spent 50/50 slalom and wakeboard look for an X-9 or 209.
Or if your slalom is strictly recreational an X-1 (older X-2) is a nice choice.

I'm going to bet your kids will wakeboard more often than slalom though. :D

If it's in your budget, look at the newer style X-2 pickle fork. Tons of room.

I would never give up my X-star for a nice day on the water. I can't slalom with it, but it's great for wakeboard, surf, skyski and even barefooting. We always seem to have 6+ people on it total so the DD wouldn't cut it.

02ProstarSammyD
06-05-2012, 09:47 PM
I've got a 209 I'd consider selling after the 4th holiday. My friends would slaughter me if I sold it before then. Either that or I just kill all my friends and have no need for a bigger boat. If you don't need the size go with a 205 like others have said. The 209's are harder to find than any newer mc I've seen. Think there is like one 209 on onlyinboards right now

CruisinGA
06-05-2012, 11:19 PM
Sounds like you need a 209/X9 to me...

IMO more space and spread out layout than the smaller v-drives.
Nice wakeboard wake, skis fine, drives pretty well etc etc

LYNRDSKYNRD
06-05-2012, 11:58 PM
You guys with the v drives how do you get to the motor and other components for maintenance? Looks like it would be a bear.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

AZX9
06-06-2012, 12:21 AM
I am on my fourth boat. My first two were I/O. My third boat was a 23 ft malibu v-drive that had a ton of room. When I decided to go from a new boat to a used boat I ran into my X9 not expecting or even looking for a direct drive. I've got to say I really love the direct drive. It's so easy to work on or do fluids and impeller changes. It turns better and sharper at slow speeds around the launch and docks. I thought maybe I would not like the engine cover just there in the way but I've gotten used to it as it is used for a place to sit and climb up to the tower to grab boards. It handles rough water that I'm around better than the Malibu did. I have added a second battery for music filled afternoons and added more ballast for surfing. All of my first three boats were brand new but I am the most infatuated with my nine year old x9. Hear is a view of my weekend paradise. Weekend before last for Memorial weekend I had nine total and two dogs in the boat for three days. Now I wouldn't say that's ideal but it worked ok.

FrankSchwab
06-06-2012, 12:24 AM
I've spent a lot of time on a PS190, and currently own a 200/210 Maristar.

The PS190 is the slalom king, and I love driving it - it's small, light, and is just a ball to drive. I don't like being a passenger in it, because it has a pretty rough ride on anything but glass. And, if you're taking more than a couple people, things get crowded real quick.

My Maristar is a great boat. It's 1000 pounds heavier, sits a foot higher out of the water, turns like a water buffalo, and (like all inboards) doesn't back up to the left. But, it rides smoother in rough water, carries 11 people, has massive storage space, and is great for what we use it for, but only fair for slalom.

Working on the Maristar is a bit harder than the PS190. Basically, you have to take an extra 5 minutes to move the actuator out of the way and drop the compartment sides on each side of the motor. You can then get to the motor easily, although the transmission is still hidden. Changing oil, plugs, impeller, etc. are about the same on mine as the PS190. For some of the V-Drives, this isn't necessarily true-there's one member on here who has to remove the muffler in order to change the impeller, for example.

JMHO.

/frank