PDA

View Full Version : What's easier for a newbie...wakeboard or waterski?

tdjaster
06-05-2012, 03:03 PM
I've taught TONS of ski and wake lessons for several years but I continually am asked this question and I don't have a good answer for it. I'm just curious what you all think.

If you had a total newbie in the boat and they asked: "Which one is easier?" What would you say?

BrooksfamX2
06-05-2012, 03:08 PM
I've done both and taught many both. I think skiing (2 ski's) is a bit easier........... it really depends on the learner.

broncotw
06-05-2012, 03:11 PM
I think water skiing on doubles for sure!

wrobins1
06-05-2012, 03:12 PM
I think it is easier to get up on skis but easy to progress on wakeboard because I always found the falls a little softer starting out. Mainly because of the speed you are being pulled at. But the first thing I encourage is the knee board to get the feel of being pulled up on top of the water.

madcityskier
06-05-2012, 04:27 PM
Much easier to teach kids to get up on a wakeboard. With a little prep we have roughly 4 out of 5 getting up on their first try. Have them in the water and put the board against the platform. Then you can simulate the pull of the boat and stress the need to be patient while they're coming out of the water.

captain planet
06-05-2012, 04:32 PM
I would say skis because once you are up, you don't have to twist your hips like on a wakeboard. I always think of the beginner that can only go to their heel-side once up because they aren't twisting their hips enough.

onejdgreen
06-06-2012, 08:25 AM
I agree with captain on his comments and I will add a face plant on a wakeboard hurts a heck of lot more than a wedgey when a newbie falls on skis because they pulled back on the rope...

mikeg205
06-06-2012, 11:15 AM
wakeboard...if the person is light...board does all the work...ski's double are easy if skier has some balance and will listen :)

AZX9
06-07-2012, 01:05 AM
I have skied one time in my life and all I remember is getting damn near drowned before I could get up with both skies wobbling around. I think a wakeboard is slightly easier. In the end I would say your answer to the question will be which ever you initially learned on.

Cloaked
06-07-2012, 01:08 AM
I've taught TONS of ski and wake lessons for several years but I continually am asked this question and I don't have a good answer for it. I'm just curious what you all think.

If you had a total newbie in the boat and they asked: "Which one is easier?" What would you say?Easier for the instructor or the new skier?

For a new skier, it doesn't matter. The skier has never been on skis and will learn whatever ski is presented. They do not know any comparative difference.

I always try to get people to ski on one ski when learning. Like I said, they do not know the difference, so learn on one.

sp00ky
06-07-2012, 11:18 AM

If you had a total newbie in the boat and they asked: "Which one is easier?" What would you say?

I'd say wakeboarding is slightly easier but tons more fun a lot quicker. Skiing is only fun on one and it takes all summer to get to one ski.

akps190
06-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I taught my kid to ski last summer on doubles. We started him on the boom, which I think was a real plus, he came right up. Then we moved to the short rope off the boom, and then to behind the boat. The progression helped him get the feel and he came up first try every time. Check out those old boards I found in the boat house....

BrooksfamX2
06-07-2012, 10:51 PM
I'd say wakeboarding is slightly easier but tons more fun a lot quicker. Skiing is only fun on one and it takes all summer to get to one ski.

Hmmmm...I have a lot of fun on my combo skis also........I pull pretty hard on the cuts and jump the wakes. Just got a pair of wake skis and will be trying them out soon......

bpinhigh
06-07-2012, 11:11 PM
I taught my kid to ski last summer on doubles. We started him on the boom, which I think was a real plus, he came right up. Then we moved to the short rope off the boom, and then to behind the boat. The progression helped him get the feel and he came up first try every time. Check out those old boards I found in the boat house....

Look at that grin, that's why we all love the water.