PDA

View Full Version : See anything missing on my checklist?

BigBarney
08-22-2005, 06:52 PM
With all this talk about storing boats, I made a checklist. Some things I will do myself - others I will let my dealer. Some items are to be performed quarterly/annually, but I just lumped them in with end of the season winterization. Have I missed anything or should any steps be switched from end of season to beginning of season?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v282/rvskodak/checklist2.jpg

east tx skier
08-22-2005, 06:54 PM
I posted these a while back, but since we lost some pictures, I don't know if it's still up. If I've left anything out, please let me know.

bfinley
08-22-2005, 06:58 PM
Doug,

I noticed you mentioned using the pink Antfreeze. If I don't have an engine with Aluminum heads, does it matter what type of antifreeze I use??

Brandon

rasmithaz
08-22-2005, 08:04 PM
Why do you change the oil and filter for winterization? Why not wait until spring?

6ballsisall
08-22-2005, 08:13 PM
Why do you change the oil and filter for winterization? Why not wait until spring?

It gets rid of any worries if there is water in the oil or not. Water=Corrosion or Ice

jimmer2880
08-23-2005, 06:58 AM
The only thing I do differently is I have a tool list next to each item & a master tool list at the top. That way I'm not taking my entire tool box to the boat to winterize/de-winterize, only the ones I need.
Also - in your winterization process I include:

remove water-pump belt (you're supposed to just relieve the tension, but that's impossible on mine - it's tight at it's loosest position)

Remove battery - place in heated area

Block trailer up so tires don't have weight on them (no flat spots in the spring).

east tx skier
08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
Doug,

I noticed you mentioned using the pink Antfreeze. If I don't have an engine with Aluminum heads, does it matter what type of antifreeze I use??

Brandon

I haven't read that checklist in a while. The origin of the pink antifreeze was from a JimN post many moons ago. It was in reference to winterizing an LT1, so you might be right on that one. As for me, I don't bother with antifreeze. Just drain really good and I'm fine. I run it once a month in the winter for the carb, so antifreeze would be a PITA. Plus, it's garaged in Texas so I'm not too worried about the hard freezes.

JDK
08-23-2005, 12:28 PM
Doug,

Brandon

The anti-freeze they are refering to is pink RV ANTI_FREEZE not pink GM automotive anti freeze!!!!!

Any RV antifreeze will work, so don't even think about using the automotive stuff.

NeilM
08-23-2005, 04:09 PM
One thing I'd change is moving Sta-Bil to the top of the list. You want to have it in the tank and thru the engine while its warming up for the oil changes.

east tx skier
08-23-2005, 04:13 PM
On the sta-bil thing, go ahead and top off, too. Don't leave room for condensation.

pilot02
08-23-2005, 04:59 PM
Avoid winterization!
Move south and ski all year...... :headbang:

Leroy
08-23-2005, 05:16 PM
Pilot02; You southern guys kill me!

JR; First good reason I have heard on fall or spring oil change, makes sense!

Leroy
08-23-2005, 05:48 PM
Second list, the Maristar one is from Kell, can't remember where I got the first?

meggsy1221@aol.com
09-19-2005, 01:08 PM
hi and thank you for the advice,i checked with indmar i do not have a 330 horse motor it is a 285 horse 5.7,i had it winterizied last week and she's tucked away for the winter i hate that word, all the best and stay in touch regards barry