PDA

View Full Version : 1979 S&S Pylon Repair

tim79mc
06-05-2012, 08:48 AM
All,

My pylon is not only corroded at the base, but stuck in the bottom mount. I'm looking for alternatives to cutting and drilling to remove it.

If I can't get the pylon out and the corrosion is too deep to machine back to health, I need to find a replacement. I can't find anything like the "classic" shape- everyone has the swivel tops. Any ideas for a source on replacing?

Thanks!

http://timandbonnie.smugmug.com/WaterSkiing/Restoration/i-zd7SGJx/0/S/IMG1715-S.jpg

thatsmrmastercraft
06-05-2012, 11:20 AM
All,

My pylon is not only corroded at the base, but stuck in the bottom mount. I'm looking for alternatives to cutting and drilling to remove it.

If I can't get the pylon out and the corrosion is too deep to machine back to health, I need to find a replacement. I can't find anything like the "classic" shape- everyone has the swivel tops. Any ideas for a source on replacing?

Thanks!

http://timandbonnie.smugmug.com/WaterSkiing/Restoration/i-zd7SGJx/0/S/IMG1715-S.jpg

Good looking project. No idea where you might come up with a pylon other than the rare boat that gets parted out.

gweaver
06-05-2012, 11:36 AM
Would it be worth looking in to having one fabricated? I don't know what the internal structure is, but it sure looks like it could be done with a CNC lathe for the main structure, then bore a hole just below the ball for that pin.
Or- it's not original, but it doesn't look too bad: http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductDetailsImages/productimage1_1459.gif from Dana Marine. (http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=2&catid=14&productid=1459&CFID=4430857&CFTOKEN=974804-03d719c4-3bf8-4d6e-88e2-00c8fec75d0e)
G

thatsmrmastercraft
06-05-2012, 11:39 AM
Would it be worth looking in to having one fabricated? I don't know what the internal structure is, but it sure looks like it could be done with a CNC lathe for the main structure, then bore a hole just below the ball for that pin.
Or- it's not original, but it doesn't look too bad: http://www.danamarineproducts.com/Images/ProductDetailsImages/productimage1_1459.gif from Dana Marine. (http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=2&catid=14&productid=1459&CFID=4430857&CFTOKEN=974804-03d719c4-3bf8-4d6e-88e2-00c8fec75d0e)
G

That is a heck of a price. Drilling a hole and adding a pin would be simple. Not an exact match, but nice find.

old blue
06-05-2012, 04:13 PM
Wow! nice find. I'm doing the same thing to my 83 SS. Total rebuild. I wound up cutting the pylon and using a press and heat to separate the pylon from the bar. PITA I ground out the bar and painted it and it is now ready, but I ruined the pylon.

That pole at Dana Marine is the only 2.5 I've seen. Mastercraft charges alot for their 3" pylon. Looks like just what I need.

thanks
kent

madcityskier
06-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Might try to contact this person.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/3036204064.html

dukemastercraft
06-05-2012, 04:46 PM
I went to local machine shop(a buddy of mine) and we just cut the angle iron about 2 out from the pole. Used some hydraulic polished material and refabricated whole thing. My old pole was pretty much glassed into the floor and had to grind it all away. NO BOLTS holding the pylon in the floor! We made a new floor plate and attached it to the hole pattern for the front fin. It is solid as a rock! not original, but cannot find that old style pole. I bet a really good machine shop could refabricate exactly the same thing, but that is a personal decision. What color is you boat it looks just like mine with gray textured top?

old blue
06-06-2012, 04:09 PM
Called dana marine. it appears that the 2.5 pole is only 18.5 inches high. They did say they would build what ever length I wanted. I suppose I should price that against a local machine shop.

tim79mc
06-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Thanks, guys for the thoughts. I looked at the Dana marine site- they have a stock 46" (think mine is 42") - http://www.danamarineproducts.com/ProductDetails.cfm?group_id=2&catid=14&productid=1440&CFID=4430857&CFTOKEN=974804-03d719c4-3bf8-4d6e-88e2-00c8fec75d0e

This is a great source and the price is right.

tim79mc
06-06-2012, 11:34 PM
I went to local machine shop(a buddy of mine) and we just cut the angle iron about 2 out from the pole. Used some hydraulic polished material and refabricated whole thing. My old pole was pretty much glassed into the floor and had to grind it all away. NO BOLTS holding the pylon in the floor! We made a new floor plate and attached it to the hole pattern for the front fin. It is solid as a rock! not original, but cannot find that old style pole. I bet a really good machine shop could refabricate exactly the same thing, but that is a personal decision. What color is you boat it looks just like mine with gray textured top?

Sounds like we have the same boat - my pylon support on the bottom is glassed in, no bolts either. I had seen some other posts here that showed a custom part sharing the front fin bolts - I might do this as well.

I have a gray boat with blue stripe - top deck is textured.

tim79mc
06-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Might try to contact this person.

http://norfolk.craigslist.org/boa/3036204064.html

The listing says the boat is sold, but I saved a picture - that is a classic boat and love the trailer!

Philscbx
06-07-2012, 12:45 AM
My pylon is not only corroded at the base, but stuck in the bottom mount. I have a 78 as well, and the Pylon is also in very rough shape.

A Stainless mount extending up to the floor with flange for the pylon to insert into is one idea that might happen.
A nylon/composite bushing should make for options.

dukemastercraft
06-07-2012, 09:06 AM
Mine is gray with black stripe. I could not simply remove and put new post in original spot. My pole had oxidized so bad it basically welded itself to the cross beam. We had to start new and I am happy we did. After bolting it to fin we filled it in with G-Flex Epoxy from West Marine.

tim79mc
06-09-2012, 10:45 PM
I have a 78 as well, and the Pylon is also in very rough shape.

A Stainless mount extending up to the floor with flange for the pylon to insert into is one idea that might happen.
A nylon/composite bushing should make for options.[/SIZE][/FONT]

Thanks for the idea. I am very likely going to do something like this. I cut the pylon off right above the bottom mount and now need to see if I can extract it from the steel cross member. Fingers crossed.

old blue
06-10-2012, 12:03 PM
I did the same thing. Had to put a torch to it and press it out. Looking for a pylon replacement. Monday I'll visit machine shops locally.

Good luck

Bellinghamster
06-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Why is everyone cutting off their pylons? It sure seems easier/cheaper to fabricate a new steel mount and cross member than a polished aluminum post, plus the glassed in bottom mount is a poor implementation in my opinion. Of course removal of the top crossmember requires cutting out your floor...

I ground out the old glassed-in bottom mount, then slit the steel "cup" with a cutting wheel on a 4-1/2" angle grinder (used same for cutting the fiberglass... like butter). Tapped a chisel in the slit and the mount came right off the pylon. I made a bottom mount that picked up all 4 skeg through-bolts. It's super sturdy now.

tim79mc
06-11-2012, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the suggestion, bellinghamster. I read through your thread and plan on doing something similar. Instead of just remaking the bottom mount to be the same size as the factory, I plan on making it taller. Height of the bottom bracket will be determined by the amount of machining needed on the pylon to clean up the severe corrosion where the pylon went through the floor. To remove the cross-brace I'm going to use your method of cutting a slit and wedging it open.

Your gel coat looks great on the bilge. Is there any concern that this will lock moisture inside of the hull?

jfw432
06-11-2012, 09:43 AM
Has anyone used one of those Dana Marine pylons? They look really nice.

old blue
06-11-2012, 12:37 PM
Why is everyone cutting off their pylons? It sure seems easier/cheaper to fabricate a new steel mount and cross member than a polished aluminum post, plus the glassed in bottom mount is a poor implementation in my opinion. Of course removal of the top crossmember requires cutting out your floor...

Your right! My pylon on the other hand deteriorated on the upper bracket. The Pylon lost about 1/2 or more. It also went above and below the bracket about an inch. Interestingly my lower bracket was just fine. I had to remove the entire upper brace from the stringers to get the pylon out of the boat. I used a torch to try and separate the two, but could not. I wound up cutting the pylon and pressing it out, again with torch. I figured the pylon was cosmetically ruined anyway.

I ground down both brackets to metal and repainted. I had looked at your pic's and really considered pulling and rebuilding the lower bracket, but I just added epoxy and cloth to add additional strength.

kent

tim79mc
07-02-2012, 08:30 PM
I called Dana marine products - I'm going to fax over my dimensions - they make custom pylons. Will see what the price is going to end up as... In the meantime, more googling to see if I can find anything similar.