PDA

View Full Version : Recommendation for the next XStar surf wake

dapicatti
06-05-2012, 03:30 AM
I have an 07 PWT XStar. I added the complete fly high system to my boat and still do not like my surf wake.

I add full water to my stock port and KGB tanks, fill my 800 lb port and 250 lb port KGB sacks. I also throw a little water in my stock starboard ballast. What do you recommend?

Also, I borrowed a 400 lb fly highsack and put it in my back seat and it helped. What do you recommend I buy and where should I put it?

snork
06-05-2012, 09:32 AM
I have kgb full, starboard tank full, starboard locker 400# sack full and 400# lead behind drivers seat, with only 120# driver on boat, PP set at 10mph
Very nice surf wave about 12'-15' behind transom, My guest and I have zero problems wakesurf'n

JohnE
06-05-2012, 09:42 AM
I don't have any first hand knowledge of this. But everything I read here says the '03-11 Xstar has a lousy surf wake.

dapicatti
06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
I can surf now I just dont get that 3' curl I could get in my X2. I think I will buy another sack for my back seat. It is easy to use and does help if I am short of passengers to kick the boat over

dapicatti
06-05-2012, 11:15 AM
My X2 was a much better surfer than my XStar. I would not go back so I just need to add more ballast to get the boat over more.

krutzmart
06-05-2012, 11:28 AM
Of course the prop direction is going to change your starboard side from the port. Port will surf better than starboard. The fly high system is designed for a wakeboarding wake. Get 2 750 fly high bags in place of you 400's or whatever comes in the kit? You really need more weight for surfing in rear locker. NOT for wakeboarding. Will never fill them but half full for wakeboarding. Wrong place for weight to wakeboard, right place for surf.
I fill port and kgb factory tanks, fill my 750 in port locker, and move bodies. You can also fill a little in your front port under seat if your loaded in the back. Leave starboard tanks empy.
It is not the best wake surfing boat....and you will only be able to surf back a 10-12' from boat and ride.
now starboard is the same set just reversed, and you will only be able to surf about 7-10' back.
Take a look at your swim platform,(fiberglass I presume) , it cuts the top of your wake surf off if you cant really get the boat to lean over. So it's important to really load up rear locker.
I have tried filling bags under back seat too and it does make a huge differance, GOOD ONE TOO ,not the safest because your really leaning..and a real pain in the *** to fill and dump.
Good luck

dapicatti
06-05-2012, 11:42 AM
Thanks for the great advice. I will add another fat sack and place on my rear port seat.

jason95gt
06-07-2012, 01:18 PM
The X-Star is not a good surfing boat. It is probably one of the worst in the line up. With that said it is the best wakeboarding boat in the line up. If you are more of a surfer then you bought the wrong boat. If you really want to surf though, the Star likes to go faster than usual. We run around 12-13.5mph. The PWT ballast system is just fine with filling just one side of the front and back bags along with the stock ballast tanks.

atthelake
06-07-2012, 01:46 PM
The X-Star is not a good surfing boat. It is probably one of the worst in the line up. With that said it is the best wakeboarding boat in the line up. If you are more of a surfer then you bought the wrong boat. If you really want to surf though, the Star likes to go faster than usual. We run around 12-13.5mph. The PWT ballast system is just fine with filling just one side of the front and back bags along with the stock ballast tanks.

That's what I found also. We set the speed at 11.4-11.6 MPH (stock ballast with 5-7 people) and while it's not great, it's way better at faster speeds.

moleson10
06-29-2012, 12:09 AM
As others have said the X* is not a great surf boat. That said it can be made an OK surf boat. I run full port hard tank, 1/2 full KGB, a 750 in port locker and an 1100 in the locker in front of the spotter seat (yep it fits). Speed is 11.4-11.6. With that setup its not bad and my buddy has done a free surf 360 like that. It's very sensitive to setup. Just filling the KGB all the way ruins the wake.
I plan to try swapping the 750 and the 1100 because I can't get the 1100 completely full in that front locker. But I'm afraid it will move the pocket closer to the boat which I don't want. We'll see.

Anywho, keep experimenting and add lots of weight. It takes a lot to get that hull to lean over.

dapicatti
06-29-2012, 12:13 AM
Thanks for the tip. I have never completed a 360, I cant ride it out.

1/2 KGB, I will try that. I also will add another fat sack in the back beyond my extra 800 lb port tank.

moleson10
06-29-2012, 11:53 AM
I see you are in eastern WA. I've got a place at Crescent Bar, which is where I keep the boat. If you are ever out my way I've got a 40th X.

Mike

CottagerGreg
08-10-2012, 05:18 PM
bringing back from the dead here.

12mph, 700 in port locker, factory port ballast filled, kgb filled, 700 on the floor by the seats....

http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k212/GTI2lo/Cottage%202012/GOPR0794.jpg

charly
10-18-2012, 01:29 PM
not bad (for an Xstar! :)) what do you mean by factory ballast 250 port and 500 KGB?