PDA

View Full Version : Transmission oil is milky yellow

goebelt
06-04-2012, 11:16 PM
My transmission fluid is milky and a bit yellowish in color. I think the coloring is from moisture as I am told?? Anyone else have this or know what caused it? Could it just be from condensation? The boat is new to me so I don't know when it was changed last.
It is a 2006 x45

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-05-2012, 12:01 AM
My transmission fluid is milky and a bit yellowish in color. I think the coloring is from moisture as I am told?? Anyone else have this or know what caused it? Could it just be from condensation? The boat is new to me so I don't know when it was changed last.
It is a 2006 x45

Sounds like water to me, I would go ahead and change out the transmission oil, iirc its 15w40, and recheck it.

76S&S
06-05-2012, 10:29 AM
Any milk in the bilge? I would change as suggested above, run it and recheck.
In 35+ years of MC ownership, I've yet to see condensation cause milky oil in the trans.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-05-2012, 11:50 AM
I would change it, run it for a minute, then change it again to make sure as much moisture as possible is flushed out.

Jorski
06-05-2012, 11:53 AM
It will take several changes to clear out all of the water....if isn't because of a leak.

Check out your transmission cooler for leaks.

nitro5238
06-05-2012, 02:01 PM
Yes l am with Jorski on the transmission cooler also.

goebelt
06-06-2012, 01:52 AM
How do ya check it for leaks. I am sure this is what it is. I have a saltwater special so I believe it is antifreeze in the oil as I mixes a bit of antifreeze with new oil and it is a match to the oil! Do ya just take the transmission cooler out? Is it simple just undo all connections and pressure test for leaks?

goebelt
06-06-2012, 11:24 PM
No luck. Took the transmission cooler off and checked for leaks. It seems ok. The tranny oil is greenish so I think it is antifreeze as my antifreeze is low and I just topped it off. My tranny cooler is 100 percent fresh water cooled. Where could antifreeze get into the transmission. Please help before I blow this thing up! :)

Philscbx
06-06-2012, 11:54 PM
I'd warm it up - Use vacuum tank to remove all of it - put sample in jar and let it settle out to see if in fact it is water.
Has to be getting in somehow if it is water.