PDA

View Full Version : X2 just won't run

weirdElk
06-04-2012, 02:26 PM
Hi guys,

I got a problem with our 2007 X2. When I start the engine, it runs fine for about 20-30sec in neutral mode and then begins to run odd and finally just shuts off. We put the boat in water a few days ago and ran it about 320 miles on the trailer before. We already had the boat running this season in another place, just one day before putting it in the water up here and it ran perfectly normal. Temperature seems normal, battery contacts are ok and the fuel pump seems to do its job, at least on switching on the ignition.
It's a Vortec MCX 5.7 L GM V8 350HP engine.

Any suggestions? :(

Thanks in advance.

Elk

Jerseydave
06-04-2012, 02:43 PM
You can't tell a bad fuel pump from a good one without testing pressure. Get a gauge on it and check. Has the fuel filter ever been changed? Sometimes that's all it needs, but again test pressure with a FULL TANK OF FUEL. The full tank eliminates the fuel filter as fuel does not pass through the filter with a full tank.

weirdElk
06-04-2012, 02:58 PM
The whole pump has been changed years ago, I think it was in 2009 and I'm not sure but I think the filter has to be changed automatically when the pump gets changed, or am I wrong? Thanks for the hint according to fuel pressure, I will check that. I'm afraid I don't get why the tank has to be full. Is there a special reason for that?
I remember the tank being nearly empty days ago, before getting the boat on the trailer and up here we filled the tank to at least 3/4 and the problem occurs.

Thanks in advance!

ttu
06-04-2012, 03:03 PM
not sure if the fuel pump is your issue, but they go bad real quick when there is not at least 1/4 tank of fuel.

weirdElk
06-04-2012, 03:21 PM
That's no good news, I think the previous owner ran the boat regularly with even less than 1/4 of a tank...

Thrall
06-04-2012, 03:32 PM
Don't sweat it. Test the fuel pressure and if it's the pump, you can remove and replace just the pump without spending $4-500 for the whole unit from MC. About $50 and a couple hrs of your time. Do a search here, there's alot of info in DIY fp replacement.

weirdElk
06-04-2012, 03:42 PM
jep, I will check the fuel pressure within the next days and hopefully just find a dirty fuel filter.

Thanks a lot - I will keep u up to date on this issue...

weirdElk
06-11-2012, 03:16 AM
An update on tis issue: Our X2 is runs just fine now.
I cleaned the flame arrestor and ran the engine in neutral on high rpm for a while. After that it ran properly in idle and yesterday we did a short trip (about 2 hours) on the river - everything's good!

I'll have a look at the fuel pump just to be sure the filter is ok, but the problem seems to be solved for now.

Thx!

Greets