PDA

View Full Version : Gas Overflow issues fixed.

Huskie05
06-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Not sure if this will help everyone experiencing gas spilling out or burping when you are getting closer to filling the tank with gas. It was a heck of an issue, in the water, on the trailer, etc… I finally got wise or less dumb and started filling the tank and opened the other fuel cap on the other side of the boat. The amount of fumes coming out was amazing, coming out 2 feet above the cap. Once the tank was full, the fuel pump stopped and no gas spilling out or burping. Our boat is an X55 which has two gas caps. Hope this helps some of you having issues with this.
Live in Utah, already have 26 hours on the boat for the summer!:cool:

Cobra Rob
06-04-2012, 01:40 PM
I will try that on the 45 next fillup which I hope should be soon.. Still in the 60s by me.

It always gushes bad.

Lucky26
06-04-2012, 02:48 PM
I am going to try that with the 35

TN X-45
06-04-2012, 03:14 PM
WOW! Think you may have given us a new easy button!

Huskie05
06-04-2012, 03:23 PM
Hope this all works for you guys, has worked both times for us.

meg
06-04-2012, 04:01 PM
I have 2 caps as well and have been doing that for quite sometime but it doesn't help a lot with my boat!!!

GoneBoatN
06-04-2012, 04:31 PM
I so much hope that works for me. I'll give it a try next time out. Three days out this year. They have been short days so only about 12 hours total.

gts-20
06-04-2012, 05:14 PM
I am going to try that with the 35

This worked for our Prostar 214 as well. No more fuel pouring down the side of the boat.

BrianT
06-04-2012, 05:23 PM
Great idea, the only problem I have is... my X7 only has 1 filler. I filled it up the other day and it was sitting on my driveway leaking fuel out the overflow, down the side on the boat and trailer framerails and then onto the driveway.... very annoying.

RyanD121
06-13-2012, 03:10 AM
Tried it last weekend at Lake Powell, worked perfectly on the '08 X-Star! As for the gas prices on the water, now that hurt a little...

Quinten
06-13-2012, 03:13 AM
Good idea, but don't have two caps on a 2012 x2, our trick is to tank verry slow nearing the end.

Horrors
06-13-2012, 06:28 AM
Sorry, what you mean?

Quinten
06-13-2012, 07:53 AM
Sorry, what you mean?

I mean that we slower the filling speed near the end, when the tank is almost full. Need a bit of knowledge of what is left in the tank: For example: 180L tank, around 50% left, so 90L can put in, slow down when you read 75L on the pump. Fill slower now, verry slow.

JDC
06-13-2012, 06:10 PM
With one cap, s-l-o-w (especially past 3/4 full) is the key. If you've ever watched how much gasoline foams when you fill a gas jug at high speed, you'll see the problem.

The air in your tank that's being displaced by fuel needs to get out. Add the foaming issue on top of that, along with a skinny fill pipe and and you have a good set up for a spill.

The pressure needs to get out. If it can't get out because you're plugging it's exit path with more fuel, eventually the pressure (or volume of fuel if you overfill it :)) wins. Cars have a separate vent pipe that lets the pressure escape.

When a boat has 2 caps, the pressure can more easily vent out of the 2nd open cap. Of course as fast as some pumps can pump, you could still cause too much pressure and overspill.

I wish mine had 2 caps, but I'd probably forget to put the 2nd cap back on. :rolleyes:

Also remember that the fuel in an in-ground tank is probably 60 degrees. It starts to expand quickly when you put it in your tank on a hot day. Leave yourself some room unless your going to be running the boat right away. If you fill it too much and park it in your driveway, it very well may expand enough to leak out.

Hope this helps.

mlawler34
06-14-2012, 10:00 AM
Tried this with my XStar the other day since I have two caps and still had an overflow issue. However, had I slowed it down when I thought it was nearing full I am fairly certain I could have avoided a spill and the pump would have shut off properly.