PDA

View Full Version : best way to wash a wetsuit??

Upper Michigan Prostar190
08-22-2005, 05:07 PM
WHats the best way to wash a wetsuit?? :confused: I know there are wetsuit shampoos out there, but can you wash them with any household soaps? like regular laundry soap? or anything else??? I should probably give mine a wash. It dont stink, but I figure its gotta be due for a cleaning.

RobertT
08-22-2005, 05:12 PM
They do make shampoo for them...but after many years of being in and around neoprene I dont use any of it. I have been a scuba diver for 21 years, and kayak a ton..I live in the stuff when I cant be in a drysuit.

Anyway, what you really want to do it just rinse it out and let it dry. Every few months, get some Sink the Stink or similar enzyme product and just soak it.

The enzyme "cleaners" actually eat all organics in the neoprene...which is what you want.

Still, you might be the first person ever to ask that question that does not have a seriously funky wetsuit hanging around. Most just hold their nose while they put it on and jump in the water as fast as possible:)

Leroy
08-22-2005, 05:49 PM
Couple of good sites that say similar things.

http://scuba.about.com/od/scubaequipmentgear/a/wetsuitcare.htm
http://www.diversdiscount.com/resources/frameset.asp?src=http://diversdiscount.com/resources/care_tips.asp

X2M
08-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Most just hold their nose while they put it on and jump in the water as fast as possible:)

Eeww!! That's just gross. But thanks for posting the info. My 15 year old nephew used my spring suit twice this year and now it has this strange funky smell. I have been wondering what to use to get the feelies out.

east tx skier
08-22-2005, 05:57 PM
The funky smell might be from, and I'm sorry to tell you this, a time-tested method some people utilize to warm up the wetsuit.

I just throw mine in the washing machine and rinse it (no soap). Smells like a rose.

X2M
08-22-2005, 06:02 PM
He hopped in the water and had this funny look on his face. The little freak was probably peeing. Darn it!! He promised he wouldn't pee in it!!

He will be getting a used wet suit as a Christmas present this year. I'll just have to buy myself a new one. :)

bigmac
08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
I just throw mine in the washing machine and rinse it (no soap). Smells like a rose.

Ditto. I turn them inside out first.

My first wetsuit (35 years ago, for diving) was before the days of nylon lining. They were easier to keep clean, but wow!.. 1/4 inch thick, and talcum powder everywhere.

08-22-2005, 06:16 PM
you know, I got this goofy ski buddy that pees in his wetsuit when he gets 3 beers in him. He gets lazy and wont take it off. when he gets in to ski, he gets that look on his face like Steve Martin, when he was "Ruprecht" in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. After he is done, he laughs his @#$ off!!! and you can imagine how impressed his wife is by this procedure :D . But what do you expect from a guy that lights his farts on fire. :rolleyes:

UMP

bigmac
08-22-2005, 06:19 PM
But what do you expect from a guy that lights his farts on fire. :rolleyes:

UMP

Yet another way to warm up a wet suit... :D

RobertT
08-22-2005, 06:20 PM
I found my bottle...it is Myrazyme

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=7638027&memberId=12500226

08-22-2005, 06:37 PM
Yet another way to warm up a wet suit... :D

Heh, well he hasnt tried it with a wetsuit on.......yet....... :popcorn:

east tx skier
08-23-2005, 10:39 AM
When a skier sits in the water too long and looks far too peacful, it is common to claim that he's checking the prop and to just be patient.

sizzler
08-23-2005, 10:43 AM
He hopped in the water and had this funny look on his face. The little freak was probably peeing. Darn it!! He promised he wouldn't pee in it!!

He will be getting a used wet suit as a Christmas present this year. I'll just have to buy myself a new one. :)

at least he was only filling one leg.....you gals can do both at the same time :uglyhamme

phecksel
08-23-2005, 11:28 AM
you know, I got this goofy ski buddy that pees in his wetsuit when he gets 3 beers in him. He gets lazy and wont take it off. when he gets in to ski, he gets that look on his face like Steve Martin, when he was "Ruprecht" in Dirty Rotten Scoundrels. After he is done, he laughs his @#$ off!!! and you can imagine how impressed his wife is by this procedure :D . But what do you expect from a guy that lights his farts on fire. :rolleyes:

UMP
toolmans cousin?