PDA

View Full Version : Lengthening Fuel Vent Hose - 3/4" or 5/8"?

mattb
06-03-2012, 01:10 PM
Gas spills out of my boat from time to time when it's around 3/4 of a tank or fuller. As per some of your suggestions, I too will be lengthening the vent hose.

The standard size for fuel vent hose seems to be 5/8" but when I went to replace mine it has Type IIA USCG Approved Fuel 3/4" printed on the hose. No one carries 3/4" fuel line around me, only the "standard" 5/8".

What should I do - buy 5/8" hose and hope to squeeze it on? Get some fittings that will allow me to step it down to 5/8"??? I found heater hose in 3/4" but it will dry rot from the fumes and/or gas. Is it possible this was replaced previously with 3/4" line but really only needs 5/8"?

This is on a '95 Prostar 190 with the LT1/Powerslot. Many thanks!

Cloaked
06-03-2012, 06:23 PM
Gas spills out of my boat from time to time when it's around 3/4 of a tank or fuller. As per some of your suggestions, I too will be lengthening the vent hose.

The standard size for fuel vent hose seems to be 5/8" but when I went to replace mine it has Type IIA USCG Approved Fuel 3/4" printed on the hose. No one carries 3/4" fuel line around me, only the "standard" 5/8".

What should I do - buy 5/8" hose and hope to squeeze it on? Get some fittings that will allow me to step it down to 5/8"??? I found heater hose in 3/4" but it will dry rot from the fumes and/or gas. Is it possible this was replaced previously with 3/4" line but really only needs 5/8"?

This is on a '95 Prostar 190 with the LT1/Powerslot. Many thanks!Is it possible that someone else put the 3/4" on there for lack of any other hose? The 5/8" is what I would have expected to see. I'd seriously consider using the 5/8" and good worm gear clamps on each end.

mattb
06-03-2012, 06:26 PM
Is it possible that someone else put the 3/4" on there for lack of any other hose? The 5/8" is what I would have expected to see. I'd seriously consider using the 5/8" and good worm gear clamps on each end.

It's definitely possible. That's why I figured I'd share this post. 3/4" seemed odd to me. The 3/4" on there now is USCG Approved Type 2A fuel line, so it seems kind of strange that a previous owner took the time to replace the line with the proper hose type, but not the correct size.

Cloaked
06-03-2012, 06:32 PM
It's definitely possible. That's why I figured I'd share this post. 3/4" seemed odd to me. The 3/4" on there now is USCG Approved Type 2A fuel line, so it seems kind of strange that a previous owner took the time to replace the line with the proper hose type, but not the correct size.My thoughts exactly. So the fittings may actually marry up to a 5/8" hose.

Table Rocker
06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
After buying 5/8, I discovered my old one was 3/4. It went on the vent outlet pretty easily and on the tank with some spit and lots of grunting.

mattb
06-04-2012, 05:42 PM
After buying 5/8, I discovered my old one was 3/4. It went on the vent outlet pretty easily and on the tank with some spit and lots of grunting.

good to know! I guess i'll buy the 5/8"