PDA

View Full Version : Opinion on X25 with Ilmor 5.7

teamcanada
06-03-2012, 12:15 PM
Someone is very interested in my 10 X14v and I am looking at an in stock 25. Problem is it has the Ilmor 5.7 and I am worried that is not enough engine for the boat. Any experience or comments would be helpful.

TheWoons
06-03-2012, 12:39 PM
We have this combo in our X25 and the motor is great. I was willing to pony up for a bigger motor but several dealers said the 5.7 would be fine and it is. It's stronger than the comparable 5.7 MCX I had in two X Stars. I've had over 2000lbs of ballast in ours boat plus people too.

Jonb1822
06-03-2012, 12:44 PM
We have this combo in our X25 and the motor is great. I was willing to pony up for a bigger motor but several dealers said the 5.7 would be fine and it is. It's stronger than the comparable 5.7 MCX I had in two X Stars

I second that

teamcanada
06-03-2012, 02:01 PM
What other options did you spec? And was there anything missing that you would want?

TheWoons
06-03-2012, 02:07 PM
What other options did you spec? And was there anything missing that you would want?

Our X-25 has every option minus a bigger motor, the ski pylon and fiberglass deck. We'll never use a ski pylon and we like teak wood decks better. Also did a custom stereo setup with Wet Sounds, more JL subs and the better JL MHD Amps. The ZFT5P was a no brainer IMO. It's the best looking tower by far, it adjusts to any position on a switch to provide more or less shade when hanging out, and easy up and down when trailering. The ZFT4 functions well but IMO it's ugly and looks cheap compared to the ZFT5P (and price wise it IS cheap compared).

If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

teamcanada
06-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks so much. That helps. The option list does not specifically show zero off. I have to check with the dealer for the cost to upgrade. We have teak platform too but I was thinking of trying fiberglass. Any drawbacks or just preference?

Nick911
06-03-2012, 04:40 PM
We went with almost everything except the ZFT5p (went with the ZFT4), Zero Off (our Perfect Pass works great (plus or minus 0.2 mph), and Plug and Play. We regret not going with Plug and Play, however, as in 2012 they changed the system so you cannot plumb in extra aftermarket sacs (at least not easily). Haven't had a chance to use the underwater lighting yet. Went with the 6.0 Ilmor, however, as we plan on adding weight, plus usually have a pretty full boat, and went with a different, more aggressive prop. Another regret is not adding the mooring covers (I've since ordered them). As our boat sits out on a buoy all summer, we like to cover it up every night in case it rains, and the standard cover is a pain to put on without actually being on the ground.

Feel free to PM with any questions.

ShawnB
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Just to +1 everyone else, 2011 X25 with the 5.7 Ilmor is a very good combo. We did end up getting more aggressive prop too (OJ 5-blade) to improve fuel consumption and help with the extra weight.

TheWoons
06-03-2012, 09:44 PM
Thanks so much. That helps. The option list does not specifically show zero off. I have to check with the dealer for the cost to upgrade. We have teak platform too but I was thinking of trying fiberglass. Any drawbacks or just preference?

The platform is the only place that gets a lot of abuse with wake boards, surf boards, etc. The fiberglass platforms scratch really easy and we are very OCD with the boat being perfect. The teak is easy to maintain and every time it gets oiled it looks brand new again. If there was a glass platform available for the X25 like on the new X Star with a rolled edge to slide off we probably would have gotten that.

Nick911
06-03-2012, 09:52 PM
Just to +1 everyone else, 2011 X25 with the 5.7 Ilmor is a very good combo. We did end up getting more aggressive prop too (OJ 5-blade) to improve fuel consumption and help with the extra weight.

How you like that 5 Blade? Our dealer steered me away from it and put a bigger prop on, not sure of numbers, but it had a bigger diameter.

Chester
06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
Yes I'm interested in the five blade performance with the X25 / 5.7 combo as well. Thanks

ShawnB
06-04-2012, 06:20 AM
How you like that 5 Blade? Our dealer steered me away from it and put a bigger prop on, not sure of numbers, but it had a bigger diameter.

Love it. We tried a few different ones including the ACME 1285 and it is great for us. Boat is very responsive at idle, gets on plane quickly, and turns less RPM at surf and wakeboard speeds. Here's the thread I posted about our results: http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43948