PDA

View Full Version : 2002 Prostar 209 Won't Start

MWH925
06-03-2012, 11:02 AM
Engine turns over, but will not start. No fuel in the fuel rails. Is there a fuse for the fuel pump? If so, where is it located?

MWH925
06-04-2012, 08:46 PM
Just checked for power at the fuel pump....nothing. Any suggestions on where to find the fuel pump fuse?

sp00ky
06-04-2012, 08:53 PM
Just checked for power at the fuel pump....nothing. Any suggestions on where to find the fuel pump fuse?

There are relays which may need to be either replaced or cleaned. Try that it worked on my 94 205 to use compressed air and tap out the gunk in these connections.

sp00ky
06-04-2012, 08:55 PM

Listen to make sure you hear the fuel injection before you crank it.

197 TT
06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
I would guess most likely one of three things

Fuel pump went bad, bad connection at kill switch, or fuel pump relay

mtajpa
06-05-2012, 12:22 AM
The fuses will be located near the ECM they have covers on them. I have an LTR but the fuses should be roughly in the same location. Check for voltage at the pump harness first. Should get at least 12 volts at key on for a few seconds then constant when cranking the engine over.

MWH925
06-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Apparently my boat does not have a fuel pump fuse like the one shown above. The kill switch shuts fuel or ignition or both?

MWH925
06-10-2012, 03:28 PM
Found the fuel pump fuse and it's ok. Kill switch is working. Any suggestions on what to look at next?

mikeg205
06-10-2012, 03:37 PM
Fuel pump in tank? you may want to read this thread...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=25391&highlight=airtex+carter

or this thread...

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=48308

I don't know when the switch over went thru for in tank pumps...somebody here will know... probably on the MFI's.

MWH925
06-10-2012, 04:45 PM
Fuel pump is in the tank.

mikeg205
06-10-2012, 04:53 PM
I bet the pump as another poster put it....gave up its ghost...

mtajpa
06-10-2012, 07:41 PM
Found the fuel pump fuse and it's ok. Kill switch is working. Any suggestions on what to look at next?

Check for voltage at the fuse you found. According to the schematic I posted there is another fuse that controls the IGN/ECM. This fuse is what controls fuel pump relay. This is assuming from your original post that you do not have power at the pump. Did you check for voltage and ground at the pump or just for the positive? Check for voltage across the connector going to the pump you will only have it for a few seconds at key on and then when cranking.

MWH925
06-13-2012, 07:10 AM
Just wondering, why would there be voltage for only a few seconds at key on and cranking? I will check it out tonight.

xbot50000
06-13-2012, 08:39 AM
It's definately the fuel pump. Get a fuel line removal tool, a new pump, allen key, and some small stainless steel worm clamps and you'll be back on the water in an hour.

The power only comes on at the key turn because that's all that's required to prime the pump. Only thing is, your pumps not working, so it's not priming and not starting.

CCAnderson
06-13-2012, 08:48 AM
A simple voltage check tells you if the pump is bad or another piece of in the system. When everything operates normally and you go to start the engine the fuel pump runs until sufficient pressure is built up in the fuel system then the relay turn off the the pump. Turn the key off for a few seconds then back to the on position will cycle the pump again. since you will have the pump disconnected form it power source the engine will see no pressure and leave the pump relay on.

Your check list should start with checking for voltage at the pump. No voltage, check the fuse. Fuse good, check the relay.

Voltage but no pump = bad pump or bad connection. Connection good but no pump = bad pump.

I have been having trouble trouble with the connections at the pump giving me the "no start" fits. I wiggle the connector a bit and that is enough to get me up and running.

197 TT
06-13-2012, 07:10 PM
Kill switch kills ignition and fuel pump.... check the wires behind it. I had a connection come loose one time, I ruled out the kill switch because the boat would fire i i sprayed starting fluid in the throttle body, but later realized another wire goes direct to fuel pump.

Also had a relay go bad. There are two relays that could fail and impact fuel pump/EFI. Read these threads. There is also a wiring diagram for an '03 embedded in it which was very helpful to me....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=43096

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=35507