PDA

View Full Version : In a little bit of a pickle!

BigBarney
08-22-2005, 03:38 PM
I bought Shakespeare's new SRA30 low mount Sirius antenna to replace my SRA10. The SRA10 has 4 screws that secures the base to the top of my hull. The location is right in front of the driver's side windshield.

The SRA30 is flat on the bottom and has a threaded shaft that goes thru the hull and secures by a washer and nut. It will cover up the screw holes from the SRA10 easily.

Here's my problem - where the antenna will be mounted, there is no way that I can get underneath to tighten down the nut. I have tried to crawl in the under seat storage. My arms just aren't long enough. And the antenna wire runs through the shaft, so I would have to get some sort of special socket, since I can't reach it with a wrench.

There is a kick plate underneath my steering where the sub is mounted. I might be able to remove this and get to the bolt, but it will be a stretch.

My current idea is to use some heavy duty epoxy, and glue the sucker to the hull. Downside is that it probably cannot ever be removed and if the antenna tears up, I may be in trouble. Any suggestions?

Tom023
08-22-2005, 03:43 PM
I would try removing the kick plate first, it's simple to do, then you should have more room to work. I removed mine during a stereo installation and had enough room to work inside that area. I don't recall if the reach up inside that area is constrained by the front seat back, but hopefully you will be able to reach up there once you have a clear shot at it.

AirJunky
08-22-2005, 04:13 PM
Try removing the kick plate. I have access to a lot more in my boat that way.
The other option is going in from the bow area. My seat cushion removes easily & I had much more access to the under dash area.

Diesel
08-22-2005, 04:16 PM
You will be able to reach it from under the driver's side. Just remove the kick panel.

Ric
08-22-2005, 05:05 PM
remove that kick plate and contort your body into some ugly forms and you can get to the mounting area from underneath
I have that antenna by the way and it works well as opposed to the long style with the mounting flange(don't know the part number sorry) which my dealer had mounted under the deck. We thought that would work and look clean but the reception "cut out" alot. The new disk style on topside works quite well even with a tower.