PDA

View Full Version : Question About Skiing

DJ 50
06-03-2012, 03:07 AM
Ok so I am no expert skier as many of you will figure out from this post. I just bought a new HO Coefficient X which was an upgrade from a 10 yr old hand me down. So I got out on it for the first time this weekend. I found out (the hard way) that when I cut to the right, I ski left foot forward, the ski grabbed very hard and rocketed me across the wake. Now I assume this is because I never skied properly and never really got on my edge to cut across the wake, all open water skiing not course by the way. I also assume the newer ski design just naturally wants to go on its edge when I cut, and this is the grabbing feeling that I felt and also the reason for the faster wake crossing. So would that assumption be right and that's just the way I should be skiing? Or is there a fin adjustment (really no idea what adjusting the fin does) I need to make in order to reduce that grabbing feeling?

D3skier
06-03-2012, 03:44 AM
not being a course skier and just starting out on a new ski I wouldn't suggest making any fin adjustments until you get a better feel for the ski and know what the adjustments will do.

Jeff Lyman
06-03-2012, 10:34 AM
@ DJ50 your right on buddy! That rocket is the ski doing its thing 100%. Now your in the mode of most of us trying to keep our bodies attached to the ski as the rocket takes off! A high performance ski is made to ride on its side period. Cross the wake flat and you will be an airplane.

D3 is right dont touch the wing its for slowing down before rounding a bouye. Take it off if you like it. Check out BOS site Ballofspray.com, lots of pros skiers on it and great threads to learn by.

SkiDog
06-03-2012, 10:58 AM
@ DJ50 your right on buddy! That rocket is the ski doing its thing 100%. Now your in the mode of most of us trying to keep our bodies attached to the ski as the rocket takes off! A high performance ski is made to ride on its side period. Cross the wake flat and you will be an airplane.

D3 is right dont touch the wing its for slowing down before rounding a bouye. Take it off if you like it. Check out BOS site Ballofspray.com, lots of pros skiers on it and great threads to learn by.

Mastercraft 93 ProStar 205, 351 HO, Syracuse N.Y.
Chris Craft 1954 Custom Deluxe 17, Chrysler 6 inboard
Best: 5 @ 28 off @ 31mph on a Connely F1X new for 2012 Radar Vice 68 with Vector double boots

Alright Jeffy, I gotta question this personal best of yours. It appears from the pic in your sig that you are a pretty good skier, IF that is indeed you in the pic. BUT, being a former tournament skier, I have to ask about the 31 MPH. There is division in tournament skiing, that allows ANY skier to ride @ 31 MPH, in ANY age group or gender group. So I have to ask, did you do this PB, skiing on an actual AWSA approved slalom course, in a tournament, practice run, or what? Or could this just be a typo? IF you actually ran 5 @ 28 off @ 31, then it really don't count as far as AWSA is concerned. Mind you, this is just a Sunday morning observation.:confused::noface::uglyhamme

GT500 MC
06-03-2012, 12:33 PM
Someone didn't get any last night....8p

mikeg205
06-03-2012, 06:17 PM
Enjoy the Ski DJ50 - +1 on the ski is doing what it's supposed to. Have fun leaning back and edging thru the wake and making some great sprays... I ride a HO 69" Comp Free Ride and it's a nice open water ski. I have to work a bit harder to get that adrenaline rush of the ski taking off and driving thru the wake... enjoy...

madcityskier
06-03-2012, 08:25 PM
Don't lean back, lean over. Which is what I think MG means. Keep centered over your ski and get your hips down away from the boat. These skis are designed to do it all for us, the trick is having your body in the right position so that you don't get in the ski's way. Sounds so easy, if only it were so.

Jeff Lyman
06-05-2012, 10:58 PM
Hey Ski dog no typo there buddy, pretty proud of it, 2 passes to! No I have never skied a tourmament but may go to one this year to check them out locally.I just turned 51 so Im trying hard to get my speed up to 34. Just got out of the water and hour ago trying to get sets on my new Radar rocket!

I do ski (except at my house) on AWSA courses. Havent even been to the course yet this year not until im 90% comfortable with the new ski. Complete double knee reconstruction 1.5 years ago has taught me not to rush things. But a goal to ski in a tournament some day is exciting.

D3skier
06-06-2012, 02:06 AM
great job Lyman keep it up! especially those hips... will help with the pull through the wakes. and shoulders back and square to the boat try looking at INTLeauge.com they have tournaments for all levels of competitors.

mikeg205
06-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Don't lean back, lean over. Which is what I think MG means. Keep centered over your ski and get your hips down away from the boat. These skis are designed to do it all for us, the trick is having your body in the right position so that you don't get in the ski's way. Sounds so easy, if only it were so.

yes you have it right... proper body position... I call it leaning back...feet, knees, hips shoulders...

this video shows it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hb3kTRenFAA

epnault
06-06-2012, 01:39 PM
DJ 50,
I switched from a freeride to the coefficient last year. The exact same thing happened to me. I also had a few head over heels wipeouts. Your right the ski is good

mikeg205
06-06-2012, 02:08 PM
@epnault - lol...looking forward to when I get my coefficient next year.... :)

epnault
06-06-2012, 02:36 PM
mgorczak1,
I actually had a head over heels wipeout last night!!! It is hard to get used of the acceleration of the ski (Jet Fighter versus B52 Bomber). I am not a good skier but I love to do it and refuse to give up on the sport. Just when I think I am getting better the kids hook up the GoPro or flip camera to video me. I feel like making my bed in the boat house after that. The good thing is we bought a place on the lake and their a lot of really good skiers that want to help me. Last night I was working on keeping my eyes forward and down the ski line (I think they had a more technical term for it). Well, I have a X9/209 and when you get tired and forget about THAT wake it can bite you. I was skidding across the lake on my head, then neck, then back-you know the rest. I was told it was a nice wipeout from my new slalom ski aficionado friends.

madcityskier
06-07-2012, 12:10 AM
When you get tired you'll tend to break at the waist and get your mass forward. When you're getting tired try to pull your shoulder blades together. Should help you eliminate going out the front door.

mikeg205
06-07-2012, 12:27 AM
+1 on on the Advice Mad.....also you get used to workin the comp free ride...I can't wait...my goals this season to get my form locked down... I still have a bad habit of getting on the wrong edge coming off the wake and over accelerating before I turn... hopefully go out tomorrow and practice...practice....practice.... :)

Cloaked
06-07-2012, 12:56 AM
..........and over accelerating before I turn... :)You're pulling too long through the second wake. Stop pulling as you edge through the second wake...begin your edge change and let the ski do the work through the turn.

mikeg205
06-07-2012, 08:42 AM
You're pulling too long through the second wake. Stop pulling as you edge through the second wake...begin your edge change and let the ski do the work through the turn.

Yeah I know - lol... but when I get out the brain turns off and I love the the acceleration... I need t get out more often... work get's in the way...oh yeah that's right...work allows me to go skiing...lol. :):D:D

I am going away for 2 weeks at the end of July beginning of august ... so going to shred my back end off. Video taping myself now to watch what I am doing with my cheap digital camera...great tool...I will be there before season ends... 1.5 season on the free ride then coefficient for me... :) .... if the economy turns....maybe I'll spring for a used syndicate...just for fun...

19_Skier
06-07-2012, 10:19 AM
picked up a new coefficient for this year. After reading this thread I'm excited to get on this ski this weekend!

mikeg205
06-07-2012, 12:51 PM
picked up a new coefficient for this year. After reading this thread I'm excited to get on this ski this weekend!

If you dump...we want video...:D youtube it and give us a link... :)

Here's my bad form and over acceleration.... :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd919NoBhsA

but it's still a lot of fun.... :D

Mike

sp00ky
06-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Mastercraft 93 ProStar 205, 351 HO, Syracuse N.Y.
Chris Craft 1954 Custom Deluxe 17, Chrysler 6 inboard
Best: 5 @ 28 off @ 31mph on a Connely F1X new for 2012 Radar Vice 68 with Vector double boots

Alright Jeffy, I gotta question this personal best of yours. It appears from the pic in your sig that you are a pretty good skier, IF that is indeed you in the pic. BUT, being a former tournament skier, I have to ask about the 31 MPH. There is division in tournament skiing, that allows ANY skier to ride @ 31 MPH, in ANY age group or gender group. So I have to ask, did you do this PB, skiing on an actual AWSA approved slalom course, in a tournament, practice run, or what? Or could this just be a typo? IF you actually ran 5 @ 28 off @ 31, then it really don't count as far as AWSA is concerned. Mind you, this is just a Sunday morning observation.:confused::noface::uglyhamme

Yeah I gotta question this as well need to work on boat speed before ya shorten the line that much.

mikeg205
06-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Tough crowd.....:cool:

Jeff Lyman
06-07-2012, 10:58 PM
I can handle the crowd! Whats up with some of the comments, wow! Everyone has a point but really. Ive been skiing 15 to 28 off at 30 to 32 for 3 years. I guess a goal of 28 off at 34 is a resonable one for this year. Coming off my wide body F1X that ski is excellent at those slower speeds, my new Radar Vice skinny stick is liking 34. Hopefully the course goes in this weekend.

@ Mgorczak, Just watched your video. I could suggest trying to keep the rope as close to your hips as possible. If the rope goes slack reach down towards the water not up to tighten it up. All the slack cutting to your right is from simply not turning your ski towards the wake enough. Twist those hips, shoulders square with the boat and get that ski to turn then soon you will be getting it on its edge where the ski wants to be.

mikeg205
06-07-2012, 11:57 PM
You're pulling too long through the second wake. Stop pulling as you edge through the second wake...begin your edge change and let the ski do the work through the turn.

Thanks CLoaked, got out tonight and changed my edging... was able to keep the rope tight, now I need to work on getting out further on the current edge... Ah yes love the warm weather, my slalom will improve 200% this year.

:D:D:D:D

DJ 50
06-08-2012, 03:59 AM

The ski may be more then I need but even with the major wipe out, I like it. I was a bit more timid the rest of the weekend skiing on it. I also love that I went with the double boots, was skiing with a RTP. Was really worried I would have a problem starting but popped right up and I feel so much better then a RTP. Also very pleased with the new attack bindings I went with. Let us know how it goes this weekend.

mikeg205
06-08-2012, 10:48 AM
[QUOTE=

@ Mgorczak, Just watched your video. I could suggest trying to keep the rope as close to your hips as possible. If the rope goes slack reach down towards the water not up to tighten it up. All the slack cutting to your right is from simply not turning your ski towards the wake enough. Twist those hips, shoulders square with the boat and get that ski to turn then soon you will be getting it on its edge where the ski wants to be.[/QUOTE]

@JEff - Thanks...there's lots to remember...went out last night and got the on the correct edge like you and Cloaked mention... now I have to remember squaring off. Last night was a bunch of fun...was able to punch the turn harder when the rope was slack-less....

19_Skier
06-10-2012, 11:12 PM
The ski may be more then I need but even with the major wipe out, I like it. I was a bit more timid the rest of the weekend skiing on it. I also love that I went with the double boots, was skiing with a RTP. Was really worried I would have a problem starting but popped right up and I feel so much better then a RTP. Also very pleased with the new attack bindings I went with. Let us know how it goes this weekend.

Had a great time on it this weekend. The ski certainly likes to be on edge. I have a RTP but I'm starting to think double boot might be a better choice - had my foot slide out of my RTP and took a nasty OTF. At least I know the release works well on the basis binding!