PDA

View Full Version : [Poll] Transmission cooler filter...really now...

bigmac
08-22-2005, 03:44 PM
In MasterCraft's late-model owner's manuals, checking the transmission cooler screen for debris is listed as an important check "before each use".

From a practical standpoint, this is at least a nuisance, especially on a V-drive where one would have to unload the starboard storage compartment to stand in there, loosen the hose clamps, and pull the hose to check the screen. I realize it's not an insurmountable issue (although it would seem that if it were that important, Indmar might have made it a little easier to check), but how many of you actually do that?

jimmer2880
08-22-2005, 04:17 PM
This sounds like a great place for a clear - site - tube, doesn't it?

jimmer2880
08-22-2005, 04:18 PM
or, maybe it's finally time they admit that raw water filters are actually a good thing. Mine has a clear canister on it that I check b4 each use when I check the oil. All it takes is a glance. :D

east tx skier
08-22-2005, 06:01 PM
Definitely go ahead and clean it once just before you put the raw water filter on there. I never would've believed the junk I was keeping out of the motor until I got a filter.

bigmac
08-22-2005, 06:56 PM
Definitely go ahead and clean it once just before you put the raw water filter on there. I never would've believed the junk I was keeping out of the motor until I got a filter.

Maybe it's just me, but I have yet to search for something at skidim.com where I didn't get about 1000 marginally related hits. :mad:

Do you have a link to the filter you installed?

MarkP
08-22-2005, 07:27 PM
this one bigmac http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1006

MarkP
08-22-2005, 07:30 PM
Bigmac

I use the left hand menu (Departments) at the DIM site before a search.. Check it out

bigmac
08-22-2005, 07:51 PM
Bigmac

I use the left hand menu (Departments) at the DIM site before a search.. Check it out

Thanks for both tips.

jimmer2880
08-23-2005, 06:54 AM
this one bigmac http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1006

That's the one I have too.

Tom023
08-23-2005, 11:03 AM
How do you guys have that thing mounted in your boat, does it come with some sort or bracket or do you just have it spliced in-line with no additional support?

east tx skier
08-23-2005, 11:26 AM
On a direct drive, get one straight barb and one right-angle barb. No additional support needed. The water hose is wire reinforced and plenty rigid to support the filter, which is very light.

Tom023
08-23-2005, 11:30 AM
ETS, do you know if it can be mounted upside down? I was looking for a place to mount it, and it would sure make it a lot easier to remove the bowl for cleaning if I could mount it upside down.

caden
08-23-2005, 12:01 PM
Could anyone post a photo of how/where you mounted the filter?
Thanks

JDK
08-23-2005, 12:10 PM
$9.84 for a new o-ring, yikes!

jimmer2880
08-23-2005, 12:58 PM
On a direct drive, get one straight barb and one right-angle barb. No additional support needed. The water hose is wire reinforced and plenty rigid to support the filter, which is very light.

That's how mine is mounted.

I believe someone did mount it either up-side down or side-ways. No, it shouldn't be a problem other than when emptying it - it will dump all the debri into your bilge.

bigmac
09-11-2005, 03:32 PM
OK, the situation became more urgent as I noticed some fluctuation in the water temp, something I'd not seen before.

As it turns out, I was trying to pull the wrong end of the hose off of the cooler on the MCX. I was trying to disconnect the little short piece at the top instead of the longer hose at the bottom, the one coming off the raw water pump (duh!). That's substantially easier than I thought. You have to empty the right rear compartment of life jackets and remove the engine panel. The hose comes right off. I had a glob of weeds about the volume of a ping-pong ball in there. I'm gonna check that more often now...