PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed

ANDY12
06-02-2012, 07:30 PM
Hi all

I always wanted a ski-boat even though admittedly don't need one since i only waterski as an amateur and do not compete. A Mastercraft always came on top of my list so i recently found one that more or less maches my criteria

It is a second hand 2000 prostar boat that has a 2011 260 hp Mercruiser engine fitted.

I am not sure what to make of this model and its engine(or for the combination for that matter) and in particular what kind of price should i be paying for it

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

JimN
06-02-2012, 08:07 PM
Hi all

I always wanted a ski-boat even though admittedly don't need one since i only waterski as an amateur and do not compete. A Mastercraft always came on top of my list so i recently found one that more or less maches my criteria

It is a second hand 2000 prostar boat that has a 2011 260 hp Mercruiser engine fitted.

I am not sure what to make of this model and its engine(or for the combination for that matter) and in particular what kind of price should i be paying for it

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated :)

Need engine photos to be able to make a recommendation. Injected, or carb? Merc rates theirs differently from MC/Indmar/Ilmor, so the HP shouldn't be much of an issue unless it's a 5.0Liter.

Will they take you out for a demo so you can ski behind it? Will they let you bring a friend, who may be more experienced in buying this kind of boat?

Check the hull ID- the beginning will have MBCUS and the last two digits should be 00 if it's a 2000 model. Of it has anything like 97, 98 or 99, they're wrong about the year.

ANDY12
06-02-2012, 08:37 PM
Dont know much else about the engine other than the brand and the year, it is possible that i can ask though.
I am also concerned about the particular boat model and the hull design since it's an older model

I will try to come up with more info. Are there any other questions i should be asking the owner?

Skiing and seeing the boat in person right now is an issue because it is quite a distance from my place.

Cloaked
06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
The trailer looks a little undersized for the boat. Doesn't appear to be an OEM (USA) trailer.

The boat itself looks OK but without more pictures, it's a hard call for opinions.

Also read up here ==> http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=257514&postcount=47

Best / Cloaked

Cloaked
06-02-2012, 08:54 PM
Dont know much else about the engine other than the brand and the year, it is possible that i can ask though.
I am also concerned about the particular boat model and the hull design since it's an older model

I will try to come up with more info. Are there any other questions i should be asking the owner?

Skiing and seeing the boat in person right now is an issue because it is quite a distance from my place.I'd also be seriously interested in knowing if the engine had been properly winterized. A cracked head, exhaust manifold, or a riser is always looming from unattended engines below 32 deg. F.

Just asking does not guarantee anything. I'd have to run it and use a flashlight on hands and knees looking for leaks on the heads / manifolds / risers. Also check the oil for water intrusion. Run the engine for a while then look on the dipstick for either clean oil (maybe freshly changed) or milky looking oil that would be contaminated with water.

JimN
06-02-2012, 08:55 PM

Skiing and seeing the boat in person right now is an issue because it is quite a distance from my place.

That's definitely not the OEM trailer and it's not a MC trailer.

The boat looks good in the photos, although it has some missing parts. Find out if they will be supplied.

It's not that old that I would worry about the hull.

ANDY12
06-02-2012, 09:51 PM
No this is not a MC trailer nor OEM.

The thing is to make a first hand decision as to wether the boat is worth a second look (i.e trip to actually see the boat). As i said it's not very close to me so it's hard to check out details of the sort discussed without a closer inspection.

With the data given what kind of money should i be paying more or less?

Cloaked
06-02-2012, 10:36 PM
No this is not a MC trailer nor OEM.

The thing is to make a first hand decision as to wether the boat is worth a second look (i.e trip to actually see the boat). As i said it's not very close to me so it's hard to check out details of the sort discussed without a closer inspection.

With the data given what kind of money should i be paying more or less?Purely an estimate based on what I see that may indicate the further condition.... It's a 2000 model with a Mercruiser engine. No back seat, poor trailer, hull looks decent.... For the trip to see it, yes, I'd go look if I were in for a boat. I'd also be thinking a price (again, relative to a missing back seat, etc) of $US 7k - 8.5K. A 2000 may bring more (say $US14k - $US15k) but that is in good condition. Maybe, and that is a big maybe, - $US 10K very tops. Also consider if the boat has been stored indoors or outdoors (floor and wood condition if outdoors). But I will say this, I'd not give a lot due to the trailer and missing back seat (unless the person has it) and the upholstery would have to be in very good condition. And the engine would have to be in good condition. One of the first impressions that actually "impress me" is if the engine is clean and well taken care of. I worked on a guys boat today and his engine was pure trash. Just very disgusting looking and I would never have bought that boat for the $6K he gave. The next thing that catches my eye is the condition of the carpet. Bad carpet means a lot of wear and tear and no regards for keeping the boat in good condition..... Merely my $0.02.

I know my estimate appraisal is low but I error to the low side knowing any further costs are sunken costs, and one can end up spending another $3K for making it right.....

Make sure that all of the gauges work (good electrical system) and that you see no evidence of rusty looking leaks or runs on the engine from a gasket, etc.

Best / Cloaked

vrsc
06-02-2012, 10:43 PM
that isn't a 2000 prostar. It's has a 95-97 engine cover and gauges. These changed in 1999 on prostar models

ANDY12
06-03-2012, 08:23 AM
Thanks alot for your answers

The guy claimed it is a 2000 model but then again he didnt seem to be very familiar with some MC specifics that i asked. It is possible that this boat belonged to some summer waterski school and he got it of of them.

So is it defineteley a 95-97 model? is that an older generation hull? (if that means anything)

He is asking around 10500 Euros or 12700 USD. At first it seemed a preety good price but now i am having second thoughts. The engine is also a big if but he claims it's a new model (2011) besides if it comes to that i will have it mechanically inspected.

Cloaked
06-03-2012, 09:31 AM

The guy claimed it is a 2000 model but then again he didnt seem to be very familiar with some MC specifics that i asked. It is possible that this boat belonged to some summer waterski school and he got it of of them.

So is it defineteley a 95-97 model? is that an older generation hull? (if that means anything)

He is asking around 10500 Euros or 12700 USD. At first it seemed a preety good price but now i am having second thoughts. The engine is also a big if but he claims it's a new model (2011) besides if it comes to that i will have it mechanically inspected.The last two digits in the hull ID that is stamped into the hull on the straboard side of the transom will tell what year model. Ask the owner to provide the hull ID and post here.

If the engine is new as of 2011 (I am not talking about a rebuild) it should be spotless.

A ski school can indeed dog out a boat (in most cases) from what I have seen.

The 95 - 97 hull is not necessarily an old era hull, it is of its own era, per se. I think you may be referring to an era of preferred hulls for an optimal slalom wake, that being the 91 - 94 era. That boat may be worth $US12.7K but it would have to be in as good of shape (literally) as the pwner is describing. Otherwise, you'll be getting the potential to have to do upgrades and additional work on the boat. You typically do not recover those costs upon resale at a later date.

My personal preference would be to find a boat with a Chevrolet or Ford engine... both solid and proven. The Mercruiser engine may or may not be worthy, but I just prefer the more widely-used and proven engines.

JimN
06-03-2012, 09:51 AM

He is asking around 10500 Euros or 12700 USD. At first it seemed a preety good price but now i am having second thoughts. The engine is also a big if but he claims it's a new model (2011) besides if it comes to that i will have it mechanically inspected.

If the engine cover is two separate pieces- the vinyl covered top and carpeted bottom, it's newer than '97. However, just being a '97 isn't a bad thing- a lot of people hated the '98/'99 hull for skiing, so it's definitely a good vintage.

A Mercruiser engine will have a serial number and a part number and these can be cross-referenced by calling or e-mailing Mercruiser.

Don't think this will be the only MC you ever find- better to get ALL of the details and protect yourself than rush into something that may end up being nothing but trouble. That said, the boat looks like it's decent, based on the photos. A few missing pads but no major problems- it's cleaner than I would expect for a 15 year old ski school boat.

toolz
06-03-2012, 10:45 AM
The last two digits in the hull ID that is stamped into the hull on the straboard side of the transom will tell what year model. Ask the owner to provide the hull ID and post here.

If the engine is new as of 2011 (I am not talking about a rebuild) it should be spotless.

A ski school can indeed dog out a boat (in most cases) from what I have seen.

The 95 - 97 hull is not necessarily an old era hull, it is of its own era, per se. I think you may be referring to an era of preferred hulls for an optimal slalom wake, that being the 91 - 94 era. That boat may be worth $US12.7K but it would have to be in as good of shape (literally) as the pwner is describing. Otherwise, you'll be getting the potential to have to do upgrades and additional work on the boat. You typically do not recover those costs upon resale at a later date.

My personal preference would be to find a boat with a Chevrolet or Ford engine... both solid and proven. The Mercruiser engine may or may not be worthy, but I just prefer the more widely-used and proven engines.

Mercruiser is a marinized Chevrolet. Mercury has never made their own V8s, and Mercury is the most widely used marine engine in the world, just not as common in tournament boats.

georgea0731
06-03-2012, 09:32 PM
Since you're in EUROPE, I know you can't just call MC or Mercury. I'm wondering if it was near an island or has been in salt water with a galvenized trailer. Makes me wonder? If the engine was replaced in 2011, then someone should have the paperwork in it. Good luck,

ANDY12
06-03-2012, 10:09 PM
It is possible that it has spent much of its lifetime in salt water. This is a usual practice especially in the med where lakes are scarse and in general people like to ski in saltwater as amateur skiers and wakeboarders

Stutsman230
06-03-2012, 11:13 PM
I just experienced a freshwater pump problem on a friends boat (not Mastercraft). It is a 2006 boat and it has a 5.7 liter Mercruiser installation. The bearings had gone bad in the pump and we needed to purchase a new pump. We went to the local Mercruiser parts supplier and found that this pump style was on back-order for a number of months. We were able to get the last one in their inventory (no-they didn't charge us more). The supplier told us that Mercury Marine parts have spotty supply issues compared to other brands.

TRBenj
06-04-2012, 11:43 AM
I might be stating the obvious here, but any reason it couldnt be a '00 Sportstar?

Ski-me
06-04-2012, 12:36 PM
I might be stating the obvious here, but any reason it couldnt be a '00 Sportstar?

I'd say it's 1997 MC Prostar 190. I don't think it's a 98+. The throttle lever cut-out and the second cutout just right of the throttle appears to be in the 97 era. Didn't see that on a 2000 Sportstar. Also, the back seat is different on the 2000 Sportstar.

The engine cover appears to be one piece too (no latches by pylon pole).

ANDY12
06-05-2012, 01:57 PM
What do you guys think of that. Worth taking a second look?

BriEOD
06-05-2012, 09:35 PM
Yes, I too believe that is a 1997 PS 190. I'm sure that is a fine slalom boat. It looks to be in pretty good condition. I see some markings on the front underside and wonder whether that is dirt or staining, or actual scratches? Also, what is the story with the back area? Does the owner have something to cover the area, or do they just leave it open? The steering wheel is aftermarket, and I'd guess that it has been reupholstered as well. We need more info on the motor. $12,700 doesn't sound like a bad starting point, assuming the motor is as said. I'd go take another look and get some good photos of the engine, and take a water test (i.e. drive the boat).

madcityskier
06-05-2012, 11:31 PM
Looks like that trailer has been sitting quite a while, unless there's quicksand under that wheel, also no fenders to protect the hull while towing. I'm guessing that upon closer inspection the trailer would be a significant issue. As for the Merc, I've seen them in older Malibus and many I/O's. I never heard complaints from the owners any moreso than with other engines. Several neighbors and the in-laws have run Mercruisers for a decade or more, and they're still going strong. Of course, when its changed out from another brand there could be all kinds of wiring issues and such. You should definately take a fairly long test drive. Checking restarts right away, and after allowing the engine to cool. Also, run at realtively high throttle for some time, and watch the temp gauge. Try to create as many conditions as possible, to see that there are not quirky performance mannerisms.

east tx skier
06-06-2012, 05:52 PM
Definitely not a 2000 Pro Star. Dash pod is of the 97 variety. Motorbox is a one piece. There's no trunk.

Possibly a 2000 Sportstar as Tim mentioned above.

vrsc
06-06-2012, 07:40 PM
Definitely not a 2000 Pro Star. Dash pod is of the 97 variety. Motorbox is a one piece. There's no trunk.

Possibly a 2000 Sportstar as Tim mentioned above.

its not a 1999 or 2000 sportstar as that has the new 1999 and up 2-piece motorbox

petermegan
06-07-2012, 04:26 AM
I want to see a photo of the mercruiser powerplant. Mercruiser are well respected in OZ and have been more readily available than INDMAR in the past. If it truly has a 2011 powerplant then it would be a good selling point especially if it is an injected unit which I would assume. Trailer sucks though.

ANDY12
06-12-2012, 08:30 AM
Thanks guys. Probably will move on to a another deal. Will let you know