PDA

View Full Version : Belt Broke.... Whoops... Need opinions....

jhall0711
06-02-2012, 02:01 PM
So had the PS out all wknd skiing down in southern Ohio and no issues for most of weekend. On Monday we were out on an early morning ski/swim trip and I noticed a squeeling. I stopped popped engine covere and noticed excessive play in the alternator brackets. Upon inspection the main bolt going to the block had come loose. I tightened it and adjusted the tension. Skied the rest of the day. I did notice when I was fixing that there was a lot of belt shavings. Throughout the day I noticed I was running hot (180 at times) and was concerned, but was on my way to the dock at this point. Pulled it brough it home. Got it out today to flush engine clean up etc and started and noticed no water pump pully (circulation pump). FREAKED OUT. I have no idea how long it was broke on that last day since I fixed bracket. I am going to replace and run it and see how it acts.

Question is how concerned should I be?

I believe my 89 PS should have a heat alarm on it, but am not sure. Someone please let me know as this would set my mind at ease.

I checked the impeller, is there anything else I should check because of this situation?

Just want to put my mind to ease... so please chime in. I will report back when I have ran it for a while.

jakethebt
06-02-2012, 02:26 PM
What engine do you have, a 351? I dont know the answer to the temp sensor or alarm, but the 351s are about as bullet proof as you can get. Iron block, iron heads... there is a good chance you are going to be fine. If you had a newer engine with al heads, like the LT1s the story may have a different ending.

d2jp
06-02-2012, 04:17 PM
Going from memory...which isn't too good these days. I believe my '89 has an alarm, which has gone off around 200 degrees (bad impeller last season). But as mentioned with that motor - no worries at 180 degrees - I don't have my owner's manual nearby but I think normal range is up to 195.

Are you saying you started with a water pump pulley and now it's gone?

jhall0711
06-02-2012, 05:28 PM
Yea, it is the 351.... and I know it is a solid motor... just freaked out a bit. I did not end up with no water pump pully, rather no belt on any pully.

I went out and put a new belt on and ran in for prolly 15 minutes or so. The motor gave no symptoms of issues and just hummed along as normal. The temperature never budged once it reached 140....

As far as the alarm.. My manual also says around 200 degrees.. so if it never went off I guess I can take a deep breath and stop worrying. As I was fixing the belt I was thinking and in all reality, I am a gauge Nazi... I watch them constantly and there is no way that if it had happened any time but right before I pulled the boat out I would have noticed it. Not only would the temp have been creeping up, but the volt meter would have been at zero as well.

I would have noticed this.

d2jp
06-02-2012, 05:47 PM
Yea, it is the 351.... I am a gauge Nazi... I watch them constantly ......

Same here:)

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-02-2012, 08:49 PM
The "alarms" for this era are notorious for not working properly and are not available anymore.

sp00ky
06-02-2012, 08:52 PM
So had the PS out all wknd skiing down in southern Ohio and no issues for most of weekend. On Monday we were out on an early morning ski/swim trip and I noticed a squeeling. I stopped popped engine covere and noticed excessive play in the alternator brackets. Upon inspection the main bolt going to the block had come loose. I tightened it and adjusted the tension. Skied the rest of the day. I did notice when I was fixing that there was a lot of belt shavings. Throughout the day I noticed I was running hot (180 at times) and was concerned, but was on my way to the dock at this point. Pulled it brough it home. Got it out today to flush engine clean up etc and started and noticed no water pump pully (circulation pump). FREAKED OUT. I have no idea how long it was broke on that last day since I fixed bracket. I am going to replace and run it and see how it acts.

Question is how concerned should I be?

I believe my 89 PS should have a heat alarm on it, but am not sure. Someone please let me know as this would set my mind at ease.

I checked the impeller, is there anything else I should check because of this situation?

Just want to put my mind to ease... so please chime in. I will report back when I have ran it for a while.

Are the pulleys rusted skidim.com has aluminum replacements

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1125

Philscbx
06-04-2012, 12:03 PM
Are the pulleys rusted skidim.com has aluminum replacements

http://www.skidim.com/products.asp?dept=1125I'm blown away the prices on steel pulleys this link led to.
I'd be at the junk yard for $5 ones.

Google Search results billet. (http://www.cvfracing.com/4-bolt-289-s/53.htm) $74 Sample small block Ford.
1/2 the cost of the steel ones.
I feared it might be China syndrome, but actually made in USA - wow, and just down the road.
At this rate, I have a custom snowblower that needs a little bling.
http://a248.e.akamai.net/origin-cdn.volusion.com/nlzbm.rtskx/v/vspfiles/photos/SBFS3CR-2.jpg?1322637985