PDA

View Full Version : Service in Phoenix

kgrove
06-02-2012, 04:11 AM
Where are you Phoenicians getting your Mastercraft serviced? Are you happy? The MC dealer changed to Action Watersports, but the only reports I heard of them were bad.

AZX45OD
06-02-2012, 01:00 PM
I would give action a try and see what you think. Otherwise, I know Jim and Deb do a fantastic job over at Arizona Luxury Marine. They are the previous MC dealers for PHX. They know these boats inside and out. Their technician Donovan recently left to pursue a different career, which is too bad because he was the best. But Jim and Deb still know their stuff. I don't know about warranty work, however, on new boats...I need to ask them sometime. I purchased my '12 from action, so they have been servicing it. They are closer to me than the old MC dealership.

V-man
06-02-2012, 01:40 PM
X2 on Arizona Luxury Marine.

Brian B
06-02-2012, 04:50 PM
Service it my damn self. And I'm always happy with my performance and pricing!

But in all honesty I'm sick and tired of working on my boat. If I had to take it somewhere, it would likely be ALM. (Even though I've been rubbed the wrong way there on multiple occasions)

AZX9
06-02-2012, 05:12 PM
When I purchased my Malibu from Action I had warranty and some other services performed there. I have been back in the back and have seen the setup. Fairly rinky dink. I have also had some mixed results with the expertise of the mechanics. One simple issue they could not diagnose and fix was the trailer solenoid on the brakes for reversing. I had to end up taking it to the new Malibu dealer to get it replaced. I just did my own fluids. They can be bargained with though for better deals. Robbie will generally match internet deals or work on prices. He matched the best deal I could find on a different prop for the boat. To me it seams like you don't really get appreciated as a customer in there though and that they don't have their sh*t together.

Jim and Debbie are a whole different bag of goodies. If you can just deal with Jim, you are far better off but he is always out back and you have to be greeted by Debbie. There are few places I have felt less appreciated as a customer than when I am in their shop and she is helping me, or ignoring me behind her desk. Jim has been the dealer for a long time and knows his stuff on MC. He has given me some competitive pricing on items I have purchased from him for home maintenance . He is an up seller though. You may need to let him know exactly what you want and not a thing more. If you have a newer boat and need warranty work done, he can most likely still do it for a while.

If I had to choose between the two for competent service its AZ Luxury Marine hands down.

Brian B
06-02-2012, 05:52 PM
Jim and Debbie are a whole different bag of goodies. If you can just deal with Jim, you are far better off but he is always out back and you have to be greeted by Debbie. There are few places I have felt less appreciated as a customer than when I am in their shop and she is helping me, or ignoring me behind her desk. Jim has been the dealer for a long time and knows his stuff on MC. He has given me some competitive pricing on items I have purchased from him for home maintenance . He is an up seller though. You may need to let him know exactly what you want and not a thing more. If you have a newer boat and need warranty work done, he can most likely still do it for a while.

If I had to choose between the two for competent service its AZ Luxury Marine hands down.

I agree with everything you said here except for competitive pricing. He wouldnt budge on his pricing for a Stargazer system after I told him that I had a quote from somewhere else that was 15% cheaper (which is considerable on a purchase like this). Then, he quoted me an installed price. I explained that I didnt need installation. He said, "You're not going to call me for help are you?" He lost me right then and there. Another time, Debbie wouldnt outright sell me a fuel pump. She told me I would have to have them installed by ALM. Again, displeased.

I recently bought a set of dripmold decals from them. Was told I was getting 3 new decals from MC. Instead, I got 2 new decals, and the dusty old one they had on the shelf for years. Now I wouldnt have had a problem with this if it had been the right decal. It was different. I wont get into details, but it didnt work for my application. I even told Jim when I went to pick it up that it wasnt right for my application and I felt like it was forced on me. When I had to call back and order a fourth decal, it was never ordered. When I called to see if it had shown up after two weeks, it had to be reordered. Then, for my troubles, the price was RAISED.
When I politely told Jim about my displeasure, I was met with not much more than a shoulder shrug, and an increased price on the part I was having to Re-PURCHASE.

If thats not bad enough, when I inquired about purchasing some flax packing, I was offended when it was suggested to bring the boat to them, as "its not easy to replace", as if I was not capable of such a job.

I'm really counting on Action to become fluent in Mastercrafts and they will get my business for parts. I like Robbie, Steve, and Jeff. If I were to ever purchase a new Mastercraft, I would feel comfortable dealing with them.

I have to suggest Steve Specoli (Az Inboards) (480-748-1948) for service. He is mobile and knows his inboards. Incredibly helpful guy. I ended up purchasing my PP through him, I dont think he made a buck on it, AND he told me to feel free to call him with any questions about the install. I did, and he was happy to help! He even sent me a text days after my install to make sure everything was working OK for me. He even loaned me his packing gland wrenches so I could do the job myself. Steve is the man!

**EDIT**

With all that said, I still kind of like Jim. He's a likable guy, a great salesman, and very knowledgeable. I have some other friends who have bought boats, and delt with them for many years, and I think we all agree that their losing the new building, and the Mastercraft line, has made them sour. Particularly, Debbie.

AZX9
06-02-2012, 10:42 PM
I agree that they don't want to sell parts without installing them. It's like all or nothing with them. I asked Debbie for a price on bunk carpet and she was off put and had no idea how much to charge. She only wanted to sell it installed and pulled a ridiculous price out of her ***. The things I have gotten from them are new gel batteries, hydrollic lifts for engine and compartment doors, life jackets, ballast and raw water impellers. Those items were reasonably priced. Especially the lifts.

I bought my Malibu from Action because of his ridiculous markup on new boats when he sold MC. I think it contributed to his demise. He would rather sell one boat at high margin rather than five at lower margin. On top of that he would order every boat fully optioned with the largest engine so they were out of site on price.

Thrall
06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
That's too bad because their service was much better when they owned the MC dealership.
I have reccomended them in the past (moreso Donanvan, never really dealt with Jim or Deb) due to the fact that they were helpful when you were making the repair yourself and the one time I took my boat to them for repair, they were VERY fair with the charges.
I'd guess tough times in the AZ market has changed their approach to customer service.

kgrove
06-03-2012, 02:32 PM
I've used AZ Mastercraft, now AZ Luxury Marine, for several years for service. With their service manager Donovan gone and the MC dealer switching I thought it was time to ask around and make sure I wasn't missing something - hence the original question.

I've been dealing with Jim recently and have no complaints. I've dealt with Debbie in the past and had no problems, but she doesn't have a bubbly personality and can understand where others were rubbed the wrong way. I really don't care about their personality - I just want my work done correctly, on time, and for the right cost. I'm in the middle of a "mystery problem" with my trailer right now... On one hand Jim has been extremely helpful and spent a good amount of time with me trying to figure out what's wrong, but on the other hand we haven't nailed the problem yet (in fairness, Jim thinks he nailed it but I'm not convinced and don't want to spend the money until I'm sure its the right solution).

I'm still uncertain about trying Action for service. I've heard more than a few reports of work being done incorrectly, though several of the stories were from friends who have Centurions and I can't tell how much of the problem was Action or just that their boats are lemons. I know in a couple cases it was clearly Action (bolts not tightened, stuff installed incorrectly, bad quality control on the repairs, etc.).

Stutsman230
06-06-2012, 10:31 PM
I have used AZ Mastercraft and now Az Luxury Marine since 2002. I have purchased two used Mastercraft boats from them. They have always been very upfront and honest in our financial dealings. Both boats have been serviced by them. They just replaced the torsion axles on my trailer and serviced my boat. The quality of shop service is second to none. I have never had to return to the shop after the service to correct a screw-up. I have called them many times for advice and they are always very helpful.