PDA

View Full Version : Bass Fishing Boats

JLowder
06-01-2012, 01:30 PM
Looking to buy a used bass fishing boat. From first hand experiance, can anybody recommend a brand or a brand to stay away from? I will be using it at least once to twice a month all year.

92 190 PS
06-01-2012, 01:44 PM
Depends what you're looking for. I have a Crestliner 1700 Pro and love it. If you're looking for Aluminum you can't beat a Lund, but you'll pay for the quality fit and finish, hence me having a Crestliner. I would put Lowe in a similar level with Crestliner and would put Tracker below all three, but you'll get a lot of boat for the money with a tracker. Botton line is new aluminum boats are built well and you really can't go wrong.

If you're looking for a fiberglass you'll see similar boat buying environment. Can't beat a Ranger, but you'll pay for the quality. If you don't want to spend Ranger money, then I'd look at Triton.

Good news is the progress in outboard engine technology the last 10 years is amazing and makes bass boats that much more enjoyable today...

Good luck

CruisinGA
06-02-2012, 08:49 AM
We bought a 1988 Ranger 373v from a family friend for about $3k. Boat wasn't used a whole lot and was kept in his barn.

Has every bell and whistle available in 1988, but what impresses me the most is the quality of construction. It is very solid, well thought out and the wiring is well done with circuit breakers and tinned wire.

I've heard that back in the early days of the Bass Boat Ranger was way ahead of the competition quality- wise but that the gap has since closed except for the price.

If we hadn't gotten a great deal on this boat, we probably would have been looking at aluminum boats because we get way up in the shoals of the river to fly fish for trout and smallmouth. Aluminum handles beating on the rocks better.

coz
06-02-2012, 09:02 AM
You don't need a boat to catch bass, a dock, chair and a cup of coffee is how we do it :D

http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/River/f1.jpg
http://i298.photobucket.com/albums/mm258/cozaz/River/f2.jpg

mikeg205
06-02-2012, 10:49 AM
Fishing boat - soo many choices. not just brand but type. How much time do you want to spend in the boat? What features do you want? How fast do you want to get your fishing spot? I have a 1958 Starcraft 14 foot with now a 1986 Johnson 30hp. I catch more fish than my father-in-law catches in his tricked out 1993 Alumacraft Trophy 170 (another great brand).

Are planning to compete or just leisure use?

JLowder
06-04-2012, 12:19 AM
I am thinking about going fiberglass, but haven't totally made up my mind yet. Outboard as opposed to both jet drive and IO is certain though. The primary use of the boat will be chasing Stripers in the CA Delta. Anybody speak to the advantages/disadvantages to aluminum vs. fiberglass?

toolz
06-04-2012, 01:03 AM
My brother has a 2010 18' Lund with a 115 merc. I've been on it several times, and it seems to be a solid boat. Interior is built well, and it runs about 50 mph. It's a lot lighter than a 'glass boat, so it's easy to trailer. Beaching it doesn't seem to bother the aluminum as much as it would fiberglass. It actually skis pretty well also, at least for the kids. They aren't much of a looker, though.