PDA

View Full Version : 2012 BIG and Ballast

Nick911
06-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Someone explain to me exactly how the ballast system in the 2012 MC's work.
Have a 2012 X25 WITHOUT P & P ballast system.

At lake yesterday and launched, only to see that as soon as I got on the water, that my 3 tanks were at various levels, all over 50%. I hit empty on all three, and within a few seconds, they all went from whatever percentage, to zero (so it would go 43% 42% 41% 0%) I then went to fill them, and my front tank was full (water coming out of overflow) yet my gauge was only showing 60%.

What I did with each tank at that point was filled them until each one was showing water coming out of the overflow, then I hit the empty switch and let them go to 0% on the gauges.

My problem is: how do I know they are in fact empty? Why are my gauges showing 60% yet they are full? These tanks run strictly on timers, that is, there is no other level gauge or anything like this?

Someone please lay out briefly how this system works.

Nick911
06-01-2012, 11:19 AM
If my tank is showing 100% full, and I know its full because when I turn the pump on water comes out the overflow, and I hit empty and let it run down to zero, what stops the pump?

1) A timer, so, its just estimating empty?
2) A gauge in the tank indicating its empty?
3) The boat senses the pump is no longer drafting water and shuts it off?

My big concern here is I dont want to be trailering or loading the boat at the launch with 600 lbs of water on it.

Jibber
06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
I have the same problem. But i have only the new GDIG(Vdig). I heard from an softwareupdate of the GDIG Version 0.16 to 0.2 which fix the Ballast function.
"MasterCraft Boat Company has determined that on some
boats equipped with the GDIG functionality, ballast pumps may
shut off before the ballast tanks have completely emptied."

Nick911
06-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Does the BIG take its cues from the VDIG?

bjames
06-01-2012, 02:29 PM
I think a lot of people are having issues with the 2012 BIG and ballast.

I posted this
http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=47818

I was told that for 2012, they took out the sending units and instead gauge the volume in the tank/bag based on revolutions the pump make. IMO this is not reliable feedback for the driver. I too am worried about unknownly trailering with 600 or so Lbs of water still on board.

Also the ballast pumps seem to turn off when the BIG reads either 100%full or 0% empty (regardless of what is 'actually' in the tanks). I think they should have used discrete sensors to gauge tak volumns - like the gas tank for example).

Nick911
06-01-2012, 03:26 PM
I'll have to check my boat on trailer, turn on pumps really quick and see if any water comes out.

501s
06-04-2012, 12:05 AM
I have the same exact problem. Emailed my dealer this morning. Glad I found this thread, not a lot of people look over here for info about the new 2012's. Hopefully my dealer can offer some insight. The biggest problem we have is holding speed.

Latin Flyer
06-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Similar issues on mine x2 2012, i only know that the pump works on turns???????.
Mine sometimes shows 60% and it,s overflowing already!!!!!!
The problem is also that there is no manual!!!!

Nick911
06-04-2012, 01:10 AM
It's our only issue so far. A manual would be nice though. At least our PP is working.

501s
06-04-2012, 02:47 AM
Our PP issues are pretty annoying. Today I was riding and we set the PP to 22, and if you hammer it the boat speeds up to around 30 and then takes a whole minute to settle in. If you don't hammer it and ease the rider up it will be fine for a while and then the speed will start dropping so you have to give it more throttle and then it surges up to around 27 or 28.

Today my tanks were over filling and the gauge read %65 as well. Is it better to know we aren't the only ones having these issues?

Mastercraftdave
06-04-2012, 10:35 AM
While my boat was in the shop last week I got them to install the update that you guys mentioned on this thread and it is still doing the same thing. When I fill the plug and play it works perfectly. However when I drain them it chages the percentage from 100% to 0% which makes the pumps cut off right away.

In order to drain them I had to flip the switch on and off to drain the sacks which was annoying as hell.

Anyone know a solution to this problem?

ddanenberger
06-04-2012, 11:31 AM
I will let everyone know the results when I get back, but they sent out a new GDIG and replaced it last week. They claim the GDIG is the issue with speed control anb ballast. They issue as I understand it is that the GDIG they installed originally had a communication problem with the BIG. Basically each device is sending conflicting commands.

We will see.

Jibber
06-19-2012, 12:47 PM
I have the same Problem with the ballast. Only with my starboard tank. I can fill it with no problems. But when draining, the starboard tank flip from 90% to 0% and is still full. If i only use the starboard pump to drain the tank without the other, than its draining perfectly to 0%. Ive updated the Gdig to softwareversion 0.2 but same problems. Have any of you fixed this problem? Ive heard sombody has changed his Gdig. Would this solve the problem?

Mastercraftdave
06-19-2012, 12:59 PM
I have gotten in touch with mastercraft and they said that they are working on fixing the bugs. mine doesnt work for the PnP system. Filling them fine but doesnt drain because it goes straight to 0%

Jibber
06-27-2012, 03:01 PM
If i only drain the effected Tank without the other Tanks at the same time, everything works well and it drains truly to 0%. But if i use all 3 Tanks at the same time, only my starboard Tank drops from 90% to 0% and keep still full. Anyone else has tested this too?

Stefan
06-27-2012, 03:11 PM
seems even more that there is a current / load measuring problem, as I thought before... might want to try changing the ballast control module, if there is one, still need a wiring diagram of my boat to know more...

Nick911
06-27-2012, 06:58 PM
This was one of my service items at my last service. Was told because the computer is measuring pump revolutions only that any air in the system can throw off the pumps. My issue in my 2012 X25 was tanks showing 65% yet water coming out of the overflow indicating full.

Dealer "reset" the system and checked all lines for air leaks. Still have same issue. So what I do is even though they are full, I keep filling to 100%, so a least when I drain them I can be reasonably sure they are empty.

501s
06-28-2012, 12:04 PM
So in other words, it STILL doesn't work properly like a brand new boat should?

bjames
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
So in other words, it STILL doesn't work properly like a brand new boat should?

And not as accurate as the 2011's that had a true sending unit to tell you how much water is in the tanks. I hate the fact that we now have to go by false assumtions on how full the ballst tanks are.

Like in Nicks case, 50% on the gauge is probably more like 90% full in reallity. What is the point in having a gauge that indicates %s and actual lbs of weight.

Nick911
07-04-2012, 11:09 PM
Seems to be getting worse. Today had water coming out of overflow at 55%.

What I've been doing it just running them regardless to 100% so when I empty I at least know they are fully empty.

Latin Flyer
07-04-2012, 11:33 PM
I dont need to give details, basically the same thing. 2012 x2.

Nick911
07-06-2012, 03:28 PM
Issue getting worse. Filled all tanks to 100% then drained to zero. Put boat on trailer and pulled out of water. PRT and STB both empty. The KGB still had water in it. I had to turn empty switch about 20 cycles to empty water, which means that I could have been trailering all this time with hundreds of pounds of water. This is a big issue indeed!

EA2010
07-07-2012, 02:55 PM
Nick,

I think pg. 32 of the GDIG manual addresses your issue:

http://www.mastercraft.com/files/manuals/8883c0a8bd29017f61249fbf3632d84b.pdf

Looks like we all need to hunt down the V0.20 upgrade for the GDIG ...

Nick911
07-07-2012, 08:18 PM
I would say this does address the issue. I'm making a call now.

Nick911
07-07-2012, 10:44 PM
Wait, we all have the V0.20 software. At least I do. This can't be it?

501s
07-08-2012, 12:05 AM
My BIG was awesome today. Randomly the plate goes down and then back up at full speed. When it works it's great but then it will stop working for a whatever reason. Audio source disappears and stops working without Turing the boat off, and today it started freezing and going all white. Just a lovely interface I tell you. And speed control was "ok" only being off by 1-2 mph.

But we had one of our way family days with the kids. It's so frustrating to have a boat that is at 95% but the 5% that doesn't work is so important.

Ok, done complaining for tonight... If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd upload a pic or video of the BIG acting possessed.

Stefan
07-08-2012, 05:37 AM
Issue getting worse. Filled all tanks to 100% then drained to zero. Put boat on trailer and pulled out of water. PRT and STB both empty. The KGB still had water in it. I had to turn empty switch about 20 cycles to empty water, which means that I could have been trailering all this time with hundreds of pounds of water. This is a big issue indeed!

Seems similar to the issue Jibber (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/member.php?u=49352) has, maybe try emptying only one tank at a time for a quick fix. But other than that the control module for ballast seems buggy.
Although Lenco/Mastercraft is everything but giving about technical information I'm assuming that the pumps are controlled by comparing the energy consumed in filling and emptying the tanks plus a couple of correction factors gives you the "number of pump revelations". They can't count real pump revelations with just two wires to the pump (no rpm sensor). Seems the in that area something is not "counting" right. Someone wrote the dealers can calibrate something there, but no idea.

Wait, we all have the V0.20 software. At least I do. This can't be it?

Be happy if you just need v0.20, since the dealer can just ship the update tool to you and you can update yourself. If you need a higher version i was told you need a new GDIG :mad:

But as far as I heard there is a v0.22 and a v0.23 for plug n' play system in the newer GDIG's

Nick911
07-09-2012, 05:12 PM
My BIG was awesome today. Randomly the plate goes down and then back up at full speed. When it works it's great but then it will stop working for a whatever reason. Audio source disappears and stops working without Turing the boat off, and today it started freezing and going all white. Just a lovely interface I tell you. And speed control was "ok" only being off by 1-2 mph.

But we had one of our way family days with the kids. It's so frustrating to have a boat that is at 95% but the 5% that doesn't work is so important.

Ok, done complaining for tonight... If I wasn't on my iPhone I'd upload a pic or video of the BIG acting possessed.

My BIG Screen did the white blank out once and I had to restart the boat, and I too lose my audio source from time to time.

501s
07-09-2012, 09:34 PM
Excellent to know I'm not the only one. Well not excellent, but at least it's not my fault.

Jonb1822
09-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Any idea if this is happening on the new 2013 systems.

bjames
09-28-2012, 05:53 PM
Highly doubt it, the 2013 are using a different system - sending units to monitor tank volumn and its going through the new murphy display system. This is what got us 2012 owners a little bent out of shape.

Jonb1822
09-28-2012, 07:00 PM
Yea that's the only thing stoping me from buying a 12, so I want to order a 13 if it's fixed. If its not I'll keep my 11.

GoneBoatN
09-28-2012, 09:16 PM
My BIG Screen did the white blank out once and I had to restart the boat, and I too lose my audio source from time to time.

When I lost the audio source from the BIG it was due to a defective remote cable. Actually it was the Y cable as I have other remotes in the boat. This was on a 2010 model which may be different or it may be as simple as a bad remote cable.