PDA

View Full Version : '82 S&S -- sac'd out

Sal
08-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Has anyone experienced this problem?

I had the carb rebuilt on my S&S two weeks ago, new fuel filter and plugs, timing set to 10 or 11. It had been running great until yesterday when I filled up the fat sac (500 lbs) and had a few people in the boat. After a couple of sets, it started loosing power when starting off. Couple of pulls later it just died out. Tried to crank again and it wouldn't turn over -- no action at all when turning the key.

So, on to plan B, hang out and think about it over some beer :friday: -- drained the sac. Storm rolled up, so we jumped back in and try to crank -- same thing, won't do a thing. Jumped it over the cellanoid and it cranked right up and ran great again.

Previous owner put electronic egnition on it -- could this be going bad? Any other ideas -- could it be water getting in gas and the ignition thing be a seperate issue? :confused:

BriEOD
08-22-2005, 09:33 AM
Jumped it over the cellanoid and it cranked right up and ran great again.

Sounds like the solenoid to me. It's a $20-30 part. Change it and see if it makes a difference. :twocents:

wesgardner
08-22-2005, 10:16 AM
Also, insure the wire from your key switch to the "S" terminal on that new solenoid is good - my good friends here at Mammock's Motor Electric say if it doens't have FULL voltage, you won't get good starts - for me, changing out this wire solved the probelm for me. My wire LOOKED good but apparently wasn't, so....

Wes

Sal
08-22-2005, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the advice, I will definately change out the solenoid (guess thats the proper spelling) and check that wire -- it will sometimes go a couple trips before the ignition acts up like this, so it hasn't bothered me enough to change it yet.

Would that cause the engine to bog down when it's under a heavy load with the fat sac's? I saw a thread that it could the the fuel pump or accelerator pump diaphram -- anyone know where I can find these on an old '82?

BriEOD
08-22-2005, 04:22 PM
Fuel pump on PCM motors is on the front left near the bottom of the motor.