PDA

View Full Version : Help on wiring for hour meter

charrison327
06-01-2012, 01:33 AM
Okay so here's the deal... the hour meter on my boat hasn't worked since I got it, wasn't really concerned when I got it because I knew there was a lot of work to be done. But now, I want it to work. It is an hour meter in the tach and oh yeah, it is a 96 PS 190.

If no one really has a suggestion, I will be interested in adding one in another location.

Thanks in advance.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-02-2012, 01:05 AM
You can try and find a gauge repair store or replace it with something similar, iirc vdo is the original gauge manufacturer and it's no longer available new, but their is lots of other manufacturers that customize. If it doesn't work out private message me I might have an original tachometer without an hour meter and you could added a hour meter in. another location.

charrison327
06-02-2012, 05:32 AM
sounds good. thanks for the advice and i will see about getting it repaired. i took them out yesterday and cleaned them up. polished all the glass with flitz and they look 100% better, did it to all the guages

Rossterman
06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
If the boat has efi, you can read the engine hours from the ecu to verify or reset the repaired meter to the correct number of hours

charrison327
06-02-2012, 05:04 PM
it is efi....didn't know that

Rossterman
06-22-2012, 09:29 AM
Yup-when i bought my used 205v, the MC dealer doing the transfer inspection indicated the the inspection that the hour meter on the tach read the same hours as what was stored in the ecm.

charrison327
06-22-2012, 09:45 AM
thanks guys......i'm going to have the hours pulled just to know and add an hour meter in a alternate location.

JimN
06-22-2012, 10:09 AM
Look on the back for two terminals that aren't for the tach function- should have an I next to one and G next to the other. If it already had a purple wire and a black wire connected, look near the ignition switch or in the dash for a purple wire that was cut and tied off. If there's no purple wire connected, look for one that's close to the tach location. If you want to test it and haven't yet, connect the I to power and ground the G terminal- you should hear a quiet buzzing sound.

charrison327
06-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Awesome JimN!!! Thanks for that..... I'll keep you posted on what I find out.

mikeg205
06-24-2012, 01:33 PM
classic boat works can fix the tach I bet they can fix...

They quoted me $175 to restore old airguide speedo...

http://www.classicboatwork.com/classicparts/gauges/gauges.html