PDA

View Full Version : Gel coat / repaint?

nkorep2
06-01-2012, 12:31 AM
So Ive got my 1990 Prostar basically torn down. The fiberglass is great with the exception of 2 spots on the port side in the back on the top section of the hull. My original plan was to just buff the entire hull and not worry about the ding/hole. But Im kinda thinking I might wanna fix it now.

The fiberglassing part is the easy part. I understand that, but how does the gel coat work? Or is prime and paint good enough for this application? Obviously the entire top section would have to be reworked to make it look good. Im thinking a solid glossy black. My boat would look like a bumble bee, black, yellow and white.

Could give me a run down on the procedure, price, etc.

Thanks,
Nikolai

wrobins1
06-01-2012, 08:39 AM
Some info.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=45756

nkorep2
06-01-2012, 11:36 PM
Here is what Im thinking, the top section is currently white with yellow, it has a ding in the rear. Since Ive torn everything apart, Im thinking Id be annoyed if I didnt fix it. So, if I fix it, I'll either have to paint the entire top section, or redo the gel coat. From what Im understanding painting wouldnt be as durable. Being that this area is where people will more definitely step and sit, it needs to be durable. Im thinking thus, that I need to gel coat the entire top section.

Anyone have an idea how much materials for such a job would cost? Is 1 gallon of gel coat sufficient to cover this area? Also, Im thinking Id like to make it black, it would be unique. Here's a paint rendition. I really like the look.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-vlwa5Arq3j8/T8mAMXvO8TI/AAAAAAAAC0w/FLl_B_5xwuM/s640/Black%2520Gel%2520Coat.png

bturner2
06-02-2012, 08:01 AM
Since you're asking for input..... My personal taste would say keep it as original as possible especially since you may want to sell it some day. Just because you may think it looks unique others will most likely think it's been in a accident and was repaired poorly. Black also gets hot and for a boat this is not good. I know there are a lot of guys out there with black boats and they love them. I would also agree that they look great but my personal experience with black trim on a Wellcraft that I owned was less than ideal. It got super hot to the point where you nearly burned yourself and it also was a source of increased maintenance (tended to be a hard water spot magnet). Soooo my vote would be to make it look like it just came out of the factory. Good luck with your project.

93ProStar205
06-02-2012, 09:39 AM
The waterspot issue is legitimate. I have a navy deck and hull from the factory, and it's a constant battle. That said, I love the color and it's worth it. Re: resale, this is an older boat so you're probably not talking about a ton of difference monetarily if you alter the colors...just don't paint it pepto pink :-)

nkorep2
06-04-2012, 09:40 PM
Water spots are a concern, I dont wanna have to spend the rest of my life wiping the boat down. I'll keep it original.

Thanks Guys!