PDA

View Full Version : Overheated on maiden voyage

Pitch
06-01-2012, 12:09 AM
Took the boat out for first time since purchase yesterday. Ran it from the dock for about 45 seconds before steam started coming from engine and the temp gauge went to 220. Shut her down and limped back to dock.

There was pressurized steam coming from the drain valve on the right riser. The thermostat was seized, and the housing hadn't seen Amy water for some time. All water hoses were bone dry.

Checked impeller and here its what I saw.

Would this fubared impeller cause my problems?

Ordered a pump rebuild kit, so I'm hoping it's the problem.

Thanks

curtish
06-01-2012, 12:12 AM
Bingo!

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 using Tapatalk

nkorep2
06-01-2012, 12:13 AM
yup, I dont see that thing delivering any water where its needed.

Pitch
06-01-2012, 12:16 AM
Really wish I would have checked it before trailering 100 miles to the lake. Hindsight is 20/20 I suppose. I'm new to boats and did not realize these impellers need periodic replacement.

Brian B
06-01-2012, 02:59 AM
Annually. Its cheap insurance.

hewlett6621
06-01-2012, 03:12 AM
Change it every year. If the impeller you take out is still in good condition keep it in the boat as a spare.

bturner2
06-01-2012, 06:32 AM
Check to make sure the valve in the bottom of the boat is open to let water into the system. Also check for obstructions in the trans cooler. Not sure but that impeller looks like it was run dry and melted which would be the case if the valve was left closed. Typically an impeller even as bad as that one will flow some water somewhere. From your post it sounds like you didn't see any.

mayo93prostar
06-01-2012, 07:01 AM
Pitch, Sorry you had such problems on first trip out. Yes, the impeller would cause overheating due to lack of water flow. Hopefully you did not cause any permanent damage. I recommend you thoroughly check out engine stuff like this after a purchase and before you use it to avoid problems like this. I am sure you learned this now the hard way. In this case, you need to make sure no pieces of the old impeller are stuck in the cooling path including the thermostat. You should replace the impeller and thermostat and remove the drain plugs from the exhaust risers and make sure everything is clear and reinstall them. Make sure you get gasket for raw water pump cover (impeller) and thermostat cover. You probably do not need to rebuild the water pump if the bearings and seals are OK, just replace impeller and gasket and try it. If you have the drain plugs in the back of the exhaust risers, it is good to put teflon tape on the threads when you put them back in to make it easier to get them out next time. Good luck and enjoy the boat.

ntidsl
06-01-2012, 08:18 AM
You didnt have an extra? Well...now you know...buy 3 from DIM. Keep two in your glove box along with a wrench fit for the plate. The new impellars come with the gasket. Live an learn. Could have been worse!!! Good luck!

ntidsl
06-01-2012, 08:21 AM
Upon closer inspection looks as though you may have cracked two of the small brass bolts off removing the plate. Take a closer look and if you did take it a shop to get them out. Careful, those bolts are very soft brass. It's adviceable that you change your impellar yearly and this will keep these bolts from seizing.

ntidsl
06-01-2012, 08:24 AM
I'm sorry, one more thing I noticed that you said you were new to boats...take an evening and just read the forum...I mean really read thru this forum. Everything you need to know is in here. Pop in every Monday am and just to see who had problems, why and how it was resolved. You'll be a pro in no time if you just stick with TT.

snork
06-01-2012, 08:43 AM
Good eye ntidsl

SilviaMan
06-01-2012, 08:52 AM
I would suggest a careful hunt for all the missing rubber blades.
If the boat is new to you, I think I would install a thermostat while I was in there.

mzimme
06-01-2012, 08:53 AM
Definitely make sure you find the pieces from that impeller. I had 2 blades break off my impeller, and only found 1. Needless to say, I still had cooling problems until I found that second piece.

Table Rocker
06-01-2012, 09:03 AM
I'm sorry, one more thing I noticed that you said you were new to boats...take an evening and just read the forum...I mean really read thru this forum. Everything you need to know is in here. Pop in every Monday am and just to see who had problems, why and how it was resolved. You'll be a pro in no time if you just stick with TT.This is good advice. There are two ways to learn; from your experiences or from the experiences of others. It is much cheaper to read TeamTalk and learn from the mistakes of others.

Pitch
06-01-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all of the advice everybody. Lots of good information here.

I plan to pull all of the hoses and clean them out, I've read that the most common place to find the rubber blades is in the transmission cooler filter so hopefully I'll find them all there. I'm not sure about the bolts, my buddy pulled it, but you do look right. The boat is at his hose 90 miles away so I can't look at it like I'd like to.

Other than the hoses, thermostat housing and risers, are there any other probable locations to find the blades?

After locating all of the pieces and replacing the impeller and thermostat, I'll see if the pump needs a complete rebuild.

Is there a reason the water pump plate needs the brass bolts?

For future reference, it looks like Napa carries the right impeller
http://m.napaonline.com/parts/PartsList.aspx?k=183306

Same part number as the Sierra, and they can typically get it next day.

Again, thanks for all the help everyone.

mzimme
06-01-2012, 12:45 PM
I found the missing piece of my impeller up by the thermostat. It was blocking one of the holes that let water through to the t-stat. My transmission cooler is before the raw water pump though, so it's not in the path to stop the pieces as they flow through the system.

Table Rocker
06-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Is there a reason the water pump plate needs the brass bolts?
The pump housing is brass, if you use stainless bolts you won't break them off but you will strip the threads in the housing if you aren't careful.

Good find on the NAPA impeller.

jakethebt
06-01-2012, 05:33 PM
Sorry to hear about your luck on the maiden voyage. I have to agree that the advice on here is second to none to you now that you own a MC. There is so much info on here to learn from. How to fix stuff and trouble shoot. From reading on here, I just found a loose/broken ground wire on an alternator that saved me $100 on a rebuild.

mikeg205
06-01-2012, 08:29 PM
I'm sorry, one more thing I noticed that you said you were new to boats...take an evening and just read the forum...I mean really read thru this forum. Everything you need to know is in here. Pop in every Monday am and just to see who had problems, why and how it was resolved. You'll be a pro in no time if you just stick with TT.

^^+1 on this...this site has probably saved me thousands....plus you learn bunches about your boat and learn to preventative and corrective maintenance....spend the extra $$$ on beer. :D - or more importantly gas...