PDA

View Full Version : Non-Marring Boat Buddy

jakethebt
05-31-2012, 11:07 PM
Well I read it here first, so I cannot take credit for the idea, but here are some pics of how to carpet a boat buddy in an attempt to make it non-marring.

Step 1. The materials. 3M Super 77 spray adhesive, scrap pc of bunk carpet and masking tape.

jakethebt
05-31-2012, 11:10 PM
Step 2. The spray adhesive is a bit difficult to control so mask off all areas of the boat buddy that you don't want covered.

jakethebt
05-31-2012, 11:15 PM
Step 3. Spray adhesive on both the back side of the carpet and the boat buddy. Allow the adhesive to dry for a minute or two. Carefully place the carpet on a flat surface and place boat buddy on top and wrap the carpet all around trying to make it as smooth as possible. I then cut on small slit up the middle to about where the slide bolt is. Then I cut across to give me a pc of carpet to fold under where the bow eye stops. Sorry I dont have any photos of this part as I had spray adhesive on my hands at the time.

jakethebt
05-31-2012, 11:23 PM
Step 4. Carefully cut with an Exacto knife around the edges and keep pressing the carpet and boat buddy together. Remove the tape and clean up any extra glue with mineral spirits. I paid extra attention to keep any part that can touch the boat covered. Additionally, I made sure not to narrow the channel for the bow eye nor get the carpet or glue in any working parts. I additionally keep the end un-covered with the safety, closed and set picture.

jkski
06-01-2012, 06:56 AM
Great idea and nice job. Let us know how well it works when it is put to the riggers of loading and unloading a few times....how the carpeting stands up to the test.
Just curious to see if the carpet will wear out quickly or tear in the high friction area.

g-mantrix
06-01-2012, 07:47 AM
It couldn't wear worse than the carpet on the bunks...

jakethebt
06-01-2012, 08:11 AM
I dont know how it will wear. I will update after some time. Someone on here did it a while back with good results. I also wonder how well the glue will hold up after getting wet a few times. Time will tell but at this point, I am tired of taking huge streaks of plastic off my bow so I figured it could not be worse.

Sodar
06-01-2012, 10:36 AM
I did this at Harold's direction a few years back, but could not get the carpet to stay. I need to look to see what the best 3M adhesive will be to use.

Table Rocker
06-01-2012, 10:43 AM
Looks great! If the Super 77 doesn't work, you might try some 4200 or 5200.

MariStar-Man
06-01-2012, 10:48 AM
I was thinking about doing this as well but had reservations about how multiple dunkings would effect the glue. Let us know what you find Sodar about the best Glue to use.

I thought about using stainless rivets thru carpet and thru the rubber fins on the rear. As you can see by the picture below, some of the carpet may wrap around the back, as well as in the middle where the Bow Eye latches, (on the receiving side) and may be secured by rivets.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79617&stc=1&d=1338517237

Some guy here at Wakeworld said he used Contact Cement and, "Has been Going Strong ever since..."

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/776080.jpg

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/776286.jpg

Sodar
06-01-2012, 10:52 AM
This is funny to me, as the most marring spot on the whole BB is not covered with carpet.

http://www.wakeworld.com/MB/Discus/messages/3183/776286.jpg

mayo93prostar
06-01-2012, 11:32 AM
jake's center is covered but the second pic in maristar's is not. Sodar makes a good point, the key area to cover is right in the center over the slot. the rest of it hardly ever touches. Also, if your dunking your boat buddy, you are in way too deep. The only time mine would get wet is from washing the boat or rain when trailering.

MariStar-Man
06-01-2012, 11:41 AM
Bass Pro Shop has this:

http://www.basspro.com/Boat-and-Outdoor-Carpet-Glue/product/44897/97289?cmCat=CROSSSELL_PRODUCT

mayo93prostar-->It is in the middle that i have most of the rubbing as well

jakethebt
06-01-2012, 06:25 PM
I agree that the most important spot is the middle. That is why I took extra care to make sure it was cut so that it covered that area. I thought about double covering that area, but I was not sure about how well the adhesive would work.

As for the adhesive, time will tell. It should not get dunked, but it will get wet and worn. The plastic/rubber of the boat buddy is flexible, which may make it difficult to adhere to over time.

My boat is a trailer boat for now, so by the end of summer, it should have some good use. I will report back then. If it does not work, we will have to try different adhesives. I took a shot in the dark with the 3M product I have. It says it will work well with plastic, so that is why I used it. Also, it was one of the few on the shelf at the local hardware store.

madcityskier
06-02-2012, 02:01 AM
I must be misunderstanding something. I've only seen the boat buddy on 190/205 trailers, but I don't understand how you could be dunking these. Do they mount much lower on other trailers? Or are you concerned withthe little drips from a wet bow and wear and tear from the friction? Actually had decent results from just armor all, though its obviously not perfect if you hit it even a little harder than needed. Again though, that was on a 205.

jakethebt
06-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Mine is on a 205, and no you dont get them dunked. I think the concern is that everything is going to get wet to some point. Armor all is a good idea.

MariStar-Man
06-03-2012, 02:18 AM
I guess I should clarify about the word I used above, "Dunking..." I meant only that one would be "dunking" the boat, not the Boat Buddy, and that Multiple Dunkings, the occasional splash, as well as the weight of the boat sliding on the dry carpeting, or in my case wet because I usually splash water on the boat Buddy, might persuade the carpeted material delaminate from the Boat Buddy.

I did, however, carpet the Boat Buddy without the use of any glue or rivet's and only the area's that come in contact with MY 1999 Maristar. Din't take any pic's as of yet.

MariStar-Man
06-05-2012, 11:55 AM
I first removed the Metal locking device from the Boat Buddy.

Then I wrapped carpet around so that it would fit in between the 2 inner sides of the Boat Buddy. I allowed for a larger portion to cover the top part in the shape of a V.

Once wrapped around, you will notice a small piece of plastic on the under side of the Boat Buddy that protrudes about 1/8" x 1/8" x 1/8". I cut a tiny hole so that this peice would go thru carpet.

The Two ends of the carpet fit into the slot that would normally accompany the metal Locking device.

The Metal Lock is then inserted to secure the 2 ends of the carpet making it easy to replace once carpet is worn out, if ever.

You can see how carpet wraps behind and under metal in last pic.

Installed on Dry Land by lowering the trailer undr the boat. It was just enough to free Boat Buddy...

Here's the pix from Camera Phone, sorry about quality:

Sodar
06-05-2012, 01:21 PM
Looks Good, Sam!

I did mine this weekend, too but I got a little carried away. I will post some pics of it tonight.

MattsCraft
06-05-2012, 02:30 PM
Nice, will have to try that!:headbang:

MariStar-Man
06-06-2012, 09:17 AM
I actually tried the contact cement first. Scrubbed the Boat Buddy, Then dried, and applied the glue to each side and waited 15 min's to stick each piece together. Well the glue pulled away from the Boat Buddy. i then just rubbed my thumb and all the rest of the glue came away. It was basically like trying to paint non paintable caulking... A big mess.

Edit on the above install. I cut a piece of Marine Carpet about 2" x 7/8" (app.) to go under the wrap at the interior of the Boat Buddy, and placed it where the nose of the boat hits to provide extra strength in that area.

cf_koch
06-06-2012, 10:36 PM
Has anybody tried using constuction adhesive such as Liquid Nail or PL to glue the carpet?

CruisinGA
06-06-2012, 10:46 PM
Dap-Gel Contact Cement should be the answer...

http://www.dap.com/images/products/253162.jpg

The stuff is amazing at what it can hold on a PWC and I don't think this would be any different.

MariStar-Man
06-07-2012, 03:10 PM
I used Weldwood Contact Cement, The Original, and After 1 hour i was able to peel all the glue off the Boat Buddy with my thumb... Plus it is messy. Try the Wrap.
It's, "Easy Peasy Pica-neesy"

The boat Buddy seems to be made of some material that's impervious to some types of glues...

Sodar
06-07-2012, 03:15 PM
I used this.... :idunno:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N7fan%2BlrL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Philscbx
06-07-2012, 04:02 PM
I used this.... :idunno:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41N7fan%2BlrL._SL500_AA300_.jpgGood chance it should work - with all item surfaces scrubbed with Scotchbright/contact cleaner.