PDA

View Full Version : Need help LQ9 Manifold

River Rat
05-31-2012, 09:14 PM
My manifold is corroded and leaking out the side, I was told to replace it because if its getting corroded it may leak into the engine and hydrolock the motor,

Any advice is welcome!
Questions:

What manifold do they use in the salt water edition?

anybody know where i can get a cheap replacement? MC is around $800 each

Can i convert this to a 2 piece to save on cost

mcmx2
05-31-2012, 10:13 PM
This has happened to several of us on here with the LQ9 manifolds. I imagine it is leaking where they welded the plugs in to fill the holes from casting. If this is the case what I did is called Jim @ BAWS and had him ship me a full set of replacement plugs from Indmar. Then I took the manifolds to a welder and had them replaced. There are 16 plugs and i can not remember how much i paid but they were not expensive. I paid more to have them welded in than I did for the plugs. Good luck

River Rat
06-01-2012, 07:28 PM
did you have any corrosion on the inside?

rhsprostar
06-01-2012, 07:46 PM
Yup, same problem here. I took it to a friend who has a machine shop and he welded in new plugs......no big deal and inexpensive......I found the hardest part was getting the manifold back on.....

River Rat
06-01-2012, 07:55 PM

Does anybody know if there is a differance?

I know a good welder, I may take them off and if the inside is ok get this done

River Rat
06-02-2012, 11:12 PM

can any dealers help me out here?

Engine Nut
06-03-2012, 08:27 AM

I know a good welder, I may take them off and if the inside is ok get this done

The manifolds for a salt water engine and a raw water engine are essentially the same. The only difference is that the salt manifolds have a flange welded to the exhaust outlet so the stainles steel exhaust elbow can be added.

There are no conventional two-piece cast iron manifolds available for this application. We used the one piece manifolds on all of these engines.

If you have the manifolds repaired by welding in new plugs or if you replace the manifolds, you can prevent them from corroding in the future by draining the water out of the manifolds if the boat is going to sit unused for more than a couple days. It is simple to drain using the quick drain hose that connects the two manifolds.

Philscbx
06-03-2012, 11:07 AM
Doing a Google search related - Found (http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=684993&postcount=3) - http://www.hitekmarine.com.au/
From viewing the site video's - Looks very Impressive in Stainless Steel.
Yea, so was was price when that was found - about 3k.

River Rat
06-03-2012, 08:12 PM
thanks for the info, now all i need to do is take it apart to find out how bad it is

Philscbx
06-04-2012, 10:59 AM
thanks for the info, now all i need to do is take it apart to find out how bad it isI'd like to see that for sure.

mcmx2
06-06-2012, 03:53 PM
The inside of mine were in good shape, just the plugs were corroded through.

Philscbx
06-06-2012, 04:34 PM
That's Good News.
So the factory patches are much thinner material than the rest of the casting?

River Rat
06-08-2012, 09:53 PM
I got 1 off late this evening, I will take some pictures as I go, I plan on having a good friend weld them up for me.

he is the best with alum.

River Rat
06-08-2012, 09:54 PM
there was no gasket on this one, is that normal?

River Rat
06-10-2012, 07:33 PM
DAMMMMM, that second one was a booger to get off. I water blasted them both and now I have 5 holes! going to the welder tomorrow

River Rat
06-12-2012, 12:03 AM
there was no gasket on this one, is that normal?

anybody???

mcmx2
06-12-2012, 08:23 AM
Mine did not have a gasket either, i just went to the auto parts store and bought some of the high temp rtv sealant. Worked just fine.

River Rat
06-12-2012, 02:44 PM
Mine did not have a gasket either, i just went to the auto parts store and bought some of the high temp rtv sealant. Worked just fine.

Thanks, as of now that is my plan to.

rhsprostar
06-12-2012, 03:51 PM
Yup no gaskets only sealant. Hi temp red if I remember.....