PDA

View Full Version : Wakeskis

ccowell
05-31-2012, 12:22 PM
I noticed some of these a few years ago and got pumped on them but have recently found them again. My buddy and I are looking at getting a pair because we are big snow skiers. I have a ronix board, but not really my "thing". I would rather be on two boards than one. I have never tried them but they look like a blast and before spending 400 plus I would like to get some more info on them.

Anyone know anything about wakeskis? What should we look for with a pair? Can I take my wakeboard bindings and put on them or do I need specific wakeski bindings?

I have a post in the classifieds for a used pair if anyone has some send me a PM.

JBrew
05-31-2012, 01:25 PM
My buddy has a pair... not sure the brand or size or anything about them besides the fact he is the type of guy to buy the best of everything and never use it!

Ill get you some info

ahhudgins
05-31-2012, 11:58 PM
I've been using trick skis for years and I love them, teaches good form and balance. My trick skis have taken a beating and I've been trying to find a good used pair on ebay for a while. The wake skis are longer and narrower (I believe) and some have removable fins so you can do surface turns. I don't know anyone who owns a pair of the wake skis, so I don't want to spend the money and not like them.

I took the stock bindings off of my EP tricks and installed a velcro wrap binding, but it will still come off during a fall. For recreational use, I don't think I would use a tight fitting high wrap boot on the trick skis or wakeskis. Until you get good on them they are pretty squirrely (with no fins) and it's easy to pull a hammy when the skis go in opposite directions!

BrooksfamX2
06-01-2012, 12:05 AM
I just got a pair and havent used them yet, but will in 2 weeks. cant wait..........

ahhudgins
06-01-2012, 12:18 AM
I just got a pair and havent used them yet, but will in 2 weeks. cant wait..........

What did you get? Are the fins removable?

tex
06-01-2012, 08:27 AM
I have the HO ones and love them. They cut like jumpers but you can break them loose and do spins. I have only plopped over the jump on them but my son jumps on them. Mine had inserts and you have to use their bindings(pissed me off because I had some new unused wylie super jump plates already). I hear the Stereo brand is really good too. Go check out there videos on youtube!

ccowell
06-01-2012, 09:35 AM
My buddy (guy singing into his ski in the picture, haha, btw that was at Killington on the top of the hill with one of those guys contracted by the ski areas to try to sell pictures) he found a pair of stereo's on ebay and is bidding on them. I told him that if he got the skis I would buy the bindings. I can only image that they are similar in the difference between snowboarding and skiing and wake-boarding and wake-skiing?

tex, you think that you will need the specific binding for the manufacture of the ski?

BrooksfamX2
06-01-2012, 11:02 AM
What did you get? Are the fins removable?

Got these. Wanted to make sure I got lace up bindings. Not sure if the fins come off. Will need to check........

http://www.amazon.com/Nash-HS2172-Hoppers-Wakeski-Binding/dp/B001B3JEX4/ref=pd_sim_sbs_sg_2

web
06-01-2012, 12:00 PM
We picked up a pair of HO wakeskis on Ebay and they are a blast. Like Tex said, they ski like jumpers but allow you more options for playing around. We haven't taken them off the ramp yet, just wake to wake. The Stereo skis come in a longer length which might be nice if you are a bigger guy, although I really don't have a problem with the HOs and I'm 6'3", 195. It seems like the HOs are bit less expensive. Ours came with bindings and I'm not sure if you can use wakeboard or jump ski bindings instead.
Note that when you search for wake skis on ebay you'll also see a bunch of "Hoppers" by hydroslide or body glove or whoever. Those aren't the same thing and I haven't tried them.

ahhudgins
06-01-2012, 07:23 PM
We picked up a pair of HO wakeskis on Ebay and they are a blast. Like Tex said, they ski like jumpers but allow you more options for playing around. We haven't taken them off the ramp yet, just wake to wake. The Stereo skis come in a longer length which might be nice if you are a bigger guy, although I really don't have a problem with the HOs and I'm 6'3", 195. It seems like the HOs are bit less expensive. Ours came with bindings and I'm not sure if you can use wakeboard or jump ski bindings instead.
Note that when you search for wake skis on ebay you'll also see a bunch of "Hoppers" by hydroslide or body glove or whoever. Those aren't the same thing and I haven't tried them.

The ones that Brooksfam got are called both "Hoppers" and "Wakeskis". When I was on ebay looking for trick skis, a lot of items came up that looked the same and they were all called "tricks, hoppers, and wakeskis". What's the difference between a wakeski and a hopper?

Many years ago a guy had an old pair of EP Aerials that were a small version of jump skis. They were a blast jumping wake to wake, and that was before we ever thought about loading the boat down.

ahhudgins
06-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Never mind. A quick image search answered my question.

BrooksfamX2
06-01-2012, 08:02 PM
The ones that Brooksfam got are called both "Hoppers" and "Wakeskis". When I was on ebay looking for trick skis, a lot of items came up that looked the same and they were all called "tricks, hoppers, and wakeskis".

Trick ski's are not the same as wakeskis. Typically longer and narrower as shown in your pictures.

ahhudgins
06-01-2012, 10:06 PM
Trick ski's are not the same as wakeskis. Typically longer and narrower as shown in your pictures.

I've had trick skis for years and I wanted to replace them with a good used pair, but not a 1970's set.:rolleyes: When I looked on ebay, some dealers were selling the new "Hoppers" and calling them Wakeskis AND/OR Trick skis. I've been told that some of the Hoppers have removable fins but since the skis appear to be longer than a standard trick ski, I don't know if surface turns will be as easy.

BrooksfamX2
06-01-2012, 10:48 PM
Mine look the the blue ones in your picture, but have lace up bindings. They also have removable fins, 2 front and 2 back.....

ccowell
06-13-2012, 10:44 AM
My buddy and I are thinking about getting the HO rad skis with the package bindings. He can pick them up for around $400 I think with his pro deal (hes a snow ski shop tuner). Anyone know if these are a good deal or how these skis will rip?

Latin Flyer
06-14-2012, 11:06 PM
It is a good deal, can he get more? I want a pair