PDA

View Full Version : 1988 351 windsor is the dip stick accurate

pbgbottle
05-30-2012, 12:29 AM
hi there i had done an oil change for the winterization . 4 liters i think ,or maybe 4.5 liters .
i still have 1/2/ liter in the bottle. so i must of put 4 and a bit in .
anyways

i was checking the oil level before heading out this past wekend and my oil was way above the full mark . just trying to figure out if my dipstick is inaccurate or did i actually over fill it ,
i don't think i overfilled it . i let it drain for 3 or 4 days before putting the new oil back in it .

the oil on the dipstick is still very clean and looks brand new .pretty sure i got all the old stuff drained out . oil filter napa gold 1515 i think .

anybody else ever notice if there dipstick was inaccurate.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-30-2012, 07:55 AM
If you checked the oil level before starting the engine thats the issue, all the oil drained into oil pan, always start engine until you have oil pressure then turn off and check the oil level.

pbgbottle
05-30-2012, 01:06 PM
Really. Ive. Never Checked the oil on anythIng after starting
I always waited For it to settle to the pan Before
Checking it
Interesting.

pbgbottle
05-30-2012, 03:22 PM
I'll try that

1redTA
05-31-2012, 09:46 AM
I always check the oil level when the engine is off and has a chance to drain to the crankcase

thatsmrmastercraft
05-31-2012, 09:49 AM
Warm and rested has always been the standard I use for checking oil level.

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-31-2012, 10:09 AM
From engine owners manual

When checking oil levels, the engine should be warm, the boat must be at rest in the water, the dipstick pushed down to the stop, and sufficient time (approximately 1 minute) must be allowed for oil to drain back from the upper engine cavities to the pan, or a false reading may be obtained

TRBenj
05-31-2012, 10:38 AM
If the engine was refilled but never run, the oil level will read high unless the oil filter was filled prior to installation.

If you got all the oil out, then a 351w will take 5 qts with a filter change.

Phntmski
05-31-2012, 11:02 AM
Warm and rested has always been the standard I use for checking oil level.

I agree, this is how I've checked oil in everything from lawn mowers up. Also, I think these 351s have been notorious for having completely inaccurate dipsticks. I've heard of people running 6 qts in the crankcase but I believe it's 5, that's what I go with anyway.

A few years ago I adjusted the guage of my dipstick by making my own marks. When changing the oil I changed filter, added 4 qts and warmed it up. Pulled the stick and etched a mark at that level. Then I added the 5th qt, warmed it and marked that level. Now I ignore the stock markings and go off what I know to be accurate.

rjracin240
06-01-2012, 12:08 PM
If the engine was refilled but never run, the oil level will read high unless the oil filter was filled prior to installation.

If you got all the oil out, then a 351w will take 5 qts with a filter change.

Key statement here, when changing oil insure all oil is out if not fill accordingly. I have been victim as well as many others here, leaving the oil to drain over night and then finnding that all the oil did not drain after overservicing!

pbgbottle
06-01-2012, 06:39 PM
i haven't warmed it up yet .to recheck measurement .but this is where i'm at

i did the conversion to Quarts for ya .i drained oil changed filter. did not fill filter.
poured in 4.70 quarts of oil . fired it up .took it to the lake twice .ran it around the lake for about 6 hours . checked oil the other day for something to do (engine cold) and it was quite abit above the full line there for the question on wether or not anybody else has ever noticed thast there dipstick was off. i was thinking of removing some oil but i don't want to run this thing with out the right amount of oil in just because the dipstick says it is overfull.

i was just wondering if i should scribe a new full mark on my dipstick . and boat is sitting fairly level.
dip stick does look original

quote from skidim

oil capacity for Ford 351 ,Indmar or PCM

the pan holds 4 quarts .filter holds 3/4 to 1 quart

* put in 4 quarts and run the engine to fill the filter.
then add just enough to bring it to full on the dipstick

know this: less oil is more horse power because you are not pushing all that oil around.

Jake

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
06-01-2012, 09:44 PM
Oil level is ALWAYS going to be higher on a cold engine no matter a car, truck or boat. I would not make a new mark, unless you can prove that yours is way out of adjustment. I would do what post #7 says. Start engine for a couple of minutes, shut it down, after 1 minute check oil level and adjust as necessary.