PDA

View Full Version : Aerial tower advice

zpacheco
05-29-2012, 04:46 PM
Hi, I have a '94 maristar 200 and want to get a tower. After a little research, I am thinking the aerial assault looks good and is very reasonably priced compared to New Dimension towers. But after a little bit of reading on the company a lot of people had bad things to say about aerial products being cheap and not sturdy... Some people said they flex too much. Wanted to get input from you guys.

imracin68j
05-29-2012, 07:55 PM
This is the best deal out there right now period

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-WAKEBOARD-TOWER-POLISHED-ALUMINUM-WITH-2-WAKEBOARD-RACKS-AND-TOWER-LIGHT-/200767390890?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebeab44aa#ht_6071wt_1262

Panda Cub
05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
I'd go nd personally. I have a friend with an aerial on his Malibu, and it flexes like crazy

charrison327
05-29-2012, 08:37 PM
www.modlinswelding.com...... this guy built me a custom tower the way i wanted it. bend, welds, and mounts in house. couldn't be happier with it. it's awesome. not sure where you are located in the south, but this guy is in NC. If you can locate anyone that does good aluminum welding, you may want to try that route. just my .02

imracin68j
05-30-2012, 01:34 AM
If it's flexing a little then it's less hard on your hull. If there is no give then you will have issues. Much of the flex comes with the backing plate. Look at the mod I did on the 88 thread.

petermegan
05-30-2012, 03:53 AM
Gee I like those towers that modlinswelding make. Top job. They look even better than a ND and a complete custom fit. I wish I could find someone here in OZ to do work like that.

charrison327
05-30-2012, 09:37 AM
yeah, he does top notch work for sure at Modlins. I must say, I was a little hesitant at first and was very close to ordering a ND, but after finding this guy and looking at his work, thats what i went with. i did a google search for aluminum welding in NC and the business was one of the first ones to pop up.

zpacheco
05-30-2012, 03:07 PM
That tower looks pretty sweet. I'm located in Little Rock, AR. Maybe I will try and see if there is someone here who can do something like that. Was the custom build price comparable to the ND price or what? I'm just tired of my wakeboards being on the floor and taking up so much space! And now my younger brother wants to buy a knee board... so that would be another thing lying on the floor. Would love to get those things out of the way. I have a skylon pole now. And now that the boat is paid for, I really want to get a tower.. Just Don't want to spend an extravagant amount, because I know I will be buying a new boat in about 6 years, so I dont really want to put 3000 down on a tower when I know I wont be getting any of that back out of it.

charrison327
05-30-2012, 05:31 PM
he charged me 2100 to build and install...even has the anchor light on top and wires run inside the tubing so I can install my speakers and not have to worry about where and how to run the wires. i'm actually going to get started on that tomorrow.

petermegan
05-30-2012, 06:02 PM
That is cheap. Envious

imracin68j
05-31-2012, 11:59 AM
The towers WITH 2 racks runs 1100 right now. I'd install it for 1,000 to.

charrison327
05-31-2012, 02:33 PM
yeah, 1100 is a good deal, but i wanted something that wasn't pre-fab. i know a lot of people buy them, but i wasn't interested. mine is 100% fitted to the boat, no template.....that is what i was interested in. i see a lot of aftermarket towers, and not knocking anyone at all....but i do like mine a lot better.

02ProstarSammyD
05-31-2012, 02:41 PM
Hi, I have a '94 maristar 200 and want to get a tower. After a little research, I am thinking the aerial assault looks good and is very reasonably priced compared to New Dimension towers. But after a little bit of reading on the company a lot of people had bad things to say about aerial products being cheap and not sturdy... Some people said they flex too much. Wanted to get input from you guys.

to be honest guys anyone looking at aerial should just stay away. I have an assult tower and while its not "terrible" it does have alot of flex. The tower is just not put together well and if you trailer it more than 30 min it really seems to loosen up after towing.

Also and I'm sorry to say this.........Their customer service is complete crap.

I called in and ordered (4) screws for the tower, 4 bolts for cans, a mirror package (since they couldn't sell me just a replacement mirror), and a few misc things.

They sent me the wrong quantity of screws 2x, never told me the mirror was backordered for over a month (ended up being 7 weeks to my door), and every time I called in they had to "call me back" which was normally the next day. Overall it was the most piss poor operation I've ever dealt with. I almost tore my tower off and sent it back to them just to not have their name on my boat.

zpacheco
06-15-2012, 05:19 PM
What do you guys think about the roswell towers? Are there any mastercraft owners that went that route and have pictures? Trying to to decide on the area 52 model and if it is worth the extra 700 dollars over the aerial.

Lumbergh
06-15-2012, 06:28 PM
Check these guys out, I am mulling the tower Q over.

http://bigairwaketowers.com/towers/vapor/

Probably won't do anything this season.

zpacheco
06-17-2012, 11:53 AM
Which one of those big air towers do you like the best? i saw an older ski boat with the H20 tower and it looked pretty good.

imracin68j
06-18-2012, 08:38 PM
I delt with H2owarehouse who sells the ariel tower and got prompt replacement parts. The tower didn't flex too bad either. The tower will always move side to side because the leverage on the fiberlass is tremendous. Even new boats have some flex in the towers.

BTW most of the towers all come from China, even the US distributors get the parts from china

zpacheco
06-19-2012, 02:51 PM
I just ordered it from H20 warehouse and they told me on the phone yesterday that they would ship it wednesday and I could expect delivery next week. Well, I called them today after ordering it to confirm this, and they then told me, no it would not be until July that it would ship from one day to the next there shipping date changed 2 weeks after they got the money. Needless to say, I cancelled my order because there is nothing I hate more than being lied too. I just think these guys were trying to lie to me to get me to make the purchase. So, here is another unhappy customer of H20 warehouse. Bummer because I was excited about getting the tower and installing it. But I will be taking my business elsewhere.

Buzz
06-19-2012, 03:10 PM
Monster MT2 on 2003 Maristar. Rock solid, economical and great customer service.

Jerseydave
06-19-2012, 03:54 PM
threadjack....I didn't know MC made a Sammy Maristar......pretty nice!

02ProstarSammyD
06-19-2012, 04:06 PM
I just ordered it from H20 warehouse and they told me on the phone yesterday that they would ship it wednesday and I could expect delivery next week. Well, I called them today after ordering it to confirm this, and they then told me, no it would not be until July that it would ship from one day to the next there shipping date changed 2 weeks after they got the money. Needless to say, I cancelled my order because there is nothing I hate more than being lied too. I just think these guys were trying to lie to me to get me to make the purchase. So, here is another unhappy customer of H20 warehouse. Bummer because I was excited about getting the tower and installing it. But I will be taking my business elsewhere.

oh so familiar with this tactic from them. They wont be in business too long if word keeps spreading

zpacheco
06-20-2012, 12:29 PM
Pulled the trigger yesterday on a roswell 51 tower. Doesn't come with board racks, but I found it on west marine for a killer deal. It was the same price as the Aerial, very happy and cant wait for it to get here. Any tips from you guys on the installation?? I will be doing it myself with the help of two other guys.

CCAnderson
06-25-2012, 03:10 PM
I was looking at the the Aerials last year until I saw a bu being pulled down I-80 with the tower rattling so bad I though it was going to come off the boat. I had nightmares of gel coat cracks for weeks. I ended up going with New Dimension. Built in the USA, Chad was great, fit is excellent, just cost a ton and took too long to get.

02ProstarSammyD
06-27-2012, 11:12 AM
^I have spider cracks around my feet b/c of it. Part of the problem is is that they loosen up so badly when being towed. They use set screws which is just rediculous. So basically they just wiggle out alil at a time. When everything is tight the tower is great but after a few trips you are just having to tighten them up. Not picture perfect