PDA

View Full Version : Paddle Wheel - Perfect Pass or Airmar

CCAnderson
05-29-2012, 05:16 PM
I need some help here. I have seen many references to Airmar supplying the paddle wheel speed sensors to Perfect pass and and even a reference to Raymarine, all using the ST300part number.

My question is: will a unit purchased from Airmar or Raymarine plug into the master module without modification? The Airmar and Raymarine units are about 50 bucks less and I am a cheap SOB. I know the best option is to go with the PP unit but I hate to spend money when not necessary.

I am only interested in the speed. Water temp would be nice but not needed. I don't need a thermometer to tell the water is cold.

dmayer84
05-29-2012, 05:57 PM
I just replaced mine with an airmar. Just had to connect the wires to the old connector. The white wire is not used out of the factory.

CCAnderson
05-30-2012, 11:02 AM
Thank you, this confirms my suspicions. looks like I will be opting for the $130 unit from PP.

dmayer84
05-30-2012, 02:05 PM
Can save quite a bit of $$ for 15 mins of time.

CCAnderson
05-31-2012, 09:42 AM
Agreed, but I do not have the connector. Does anybody know what type of connectors pp uses?

dmayer84
05-31-2012, 11:16 AM
I reused the connector from the old one. Popped it apart and hooked up the new wires.

CCAnderson
07-16-2012, 03:13 PM
in case anyone wants to know the difference between the Airmar and PerfectPass paddle wheel. The Airmar is the same physical unit, much less pricey but does not have the proper connection to plug directly into the PP module. You would have to splice the old connector or source the right connector from Tyco. The $50 premium for the PP unit seems like the way to go so you don't waste a bunch of time and energy when you could just buy it right the first time.