PDA

View Full Version : 1987 ProStar oil drain rate

Voodoo
05-29-2012, 11:35 AM
Folks --

Been dealing with this issue for 10+ years so I thought I'd throw it out there and see if others have had similar issues.

1987, 351, velvet drive 1:1, completely original and well maintained, 1200 hours (1000+ salt water)

There is a drain tube connected to the bottom of the oil pan which is routed out the drain plug -- I imagine this is the same for other boats. I warm up the motor before changing the oil. The drain rate is extremely slow and never yields the full 4+ qts. I have lowered the front of the trailer to its lowest setting in the hopes of increased draining to no avail. I have considered running some weed whacker string up the drain tube but it surely will not handle the 90 deg bend entering the oil pan.

The local dealer suggested I may have sludge build up in the pan inhibiting the drain.

Any thoughts, tips or helpful info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Voodoo

LYNRDSKYNRD
05-29-2012, 11:43 AM
I have an 87 too same issues slow drain and low yield.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-29-2012, 01:42 PM
Pretty much normal condition, some folks hook a drill pump to the drain hose to aid in draining.

Kyle
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
If you are going to run anything up the drain hose run compressed air after the oil has drained to see if is is clear. Just a quick burst will let you know if it is blocked. More than likely it is normal. Changing the oil is normally a few beer job. Most of the time drinking beer watching the oil drain really slow.

mayo93prostar
05-29-2012, 01:46 PM
typically slow, I have similar results on my 93. I started using my hand pump suction pump by sticking the suction tube up in the oil drain hose and it helped speed up the process.

Kyle
05-29-2012, 01:48 PM
Mastercraft: Face It - If you are not a good skier behind this boat, you are not a good skier.

Nice.......I like it

Miss Rita
05-29-2012, 02:24 PM
My '89 TriStar is the same. I think the problem is that the drain hose has a significant horizontal run before running through the bottom of the hull.

Has anyone tried forcing air into the dipstick tube to push the oil out faster? I'll try that next autumn.

catamount
05-29-2012, 02:34 PM
87 ProStar. Same issue. Got it nice and warm and only got out 2.9 quarts (I measured) after letting it drain for several days.

Pretty disappointing. I think it has something to do with the drain plug being on the side of the pan and not the bottom. No idea why they did it this way.

TRBenj
05-29-2012, 03:28 PM
Take the oil fill cap off and it will drain a good bit quicker.

I still generally let it drain overnight... it can be a very slow process.

Voodoo
05-29-2012, 10:42 PM
Folks --

Thanks for all the replies -- it is good to know that my oil drain experiences are "normal".

Since several of you have boats near the same vintage as mine perhaps you wouldn't mind answering another question. Where do you buy your ignition tune-up parts? Indmar tune-up kits or from the local auto parts store? I have done a poor job of record keeping and every time I go to the auto store for points, condenser and cap it is like finding a needle in a haystack. Do any of you have a sure solution -- like "1980 Bronco 351", or something similar that usually works?

Thanks again,
Voodoo

j.mccreight@hotmail.com
05-29-2012, 10:58 PM
Skidim.com is a good source.

d2jp
05-30-2012, 09:05 AM
Second www.skidim.com - give them a call if in doubt. Being in VA, shipments will arrive in a day or two as they generally ship the same day as orders are placed!

Lumbergh
05-30-2012, 09:30 AM
http://mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showpost.php?p=166941&postcount=33

piper_chuck
05-30-2012, 09:44 AM
Second www.skidim.com - give them a call if in doubt. Being in VA, shipments will arrive in a day or two as they generally ship the same day as orders are placed!
And a third for skidim. I met Vince and Karen on Friday when I needed to get something at the last minute. Vince was very helpful and took me on a mini tour of the place.

Tomi
05-30-2012, 10:45 AM
Has anyone tried forcing air into the dipstick tube to push the oil out faster? I'll try that next autumn.

Yes, I tried... absolutely no impact. The air escapes from somewhere else and does nothing for the oil flow. Removing dip stick for air replace, lowering the trailer front and making sure the line does not raise in bilge before exiting help at least mine to such speed that it only took about 15min to completely drain old oil. After an hour of running my new oil is still completely clean so I must have drained all old oil out successfully.

Voodoo
05-30-2012, 11:28 AM
Folks --

Thanks for all the great and helpful info. I looked at the skidim website -- wow, one stop shopping. I have been doing it the hard way for years struggling to find repalcements. Thanks again everybody.

Voodoo