PDA

View Full Version : HO Mach 1

Farmer Ted
07-25-2004, 10:28 PM
Anyone have any comments good or bad regarding this ski?

east tx skier
07-26-2004, 11:11 AM
Tim, I've never ridden one. What are you riding right now?

Farmer Ted
07-26-2004, 01:50 PM
Doug,

I have a Connelly Avenger 67" from Ebay for $30,
After I hooked up with Brad who's been kind enough to allow me to do some extreme face plants from his HO Charger 69" I've decided I need to get my own "good" ski.

I called Wileys on Sunday to inquire about the prices of a few different skis and based on my discussion with them I ordered a Mach 1 68"

I was just looking for some feedback from anyone if they have this ski, I understand it's a pretty popular middle of the road ski and the price was great ($259 with Wiley boot and rear toe plate) If it doesn't work out I'll just keep it or Ebay it and move on to another.

Do you deal with Wileys alot? I'm not sure who I talked to but he was a riot!

T

east tx skier
07-26-2004, 03:24 PM
I bought my ski from Wiley's. They are very knowledgable in my experience. I'll be interested to see what you think about the Wiley boot, too. They look very comfortable. Also, keep us posted on the Mach 1.

chris.willman
07-26-2004, 04:00 PM
I just bought a Truth with Wiley Bindings from Wiley's. Great guys to deal with. The guy I worked with was Stan, and he really helped me out in trying to get the right ski at the right price. Hopefully it will be waiting for me when I get home tonight.

east tx skier
07-26-2004, 04:38 PM
My wife just got an '04 Truth and loves it. Why did you go with the Wiley binding? Have you skied them before, or was it the price. They look very comfortable to me, sort of like the old O'Brien Advantage bindings. Keep us posted.

Dan K
07-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Who is this Wiley guy ?

chris.willman
07-26-2004, 05:03 PM
My main reason was price. Stan (from Wiley's) convinced me that thier bindings are extremely comfortable and very good quality. He also promised to swap them out if I am unhappy. I was already blowing out my budget with the Truth, so carving a hundred bucks off the price was attractive.

He did mention that the binding are very similar to the older O'brien bindings.

bcampbe7
07-26-2004, 05:06 PM
Is there a website for Wiley's?

MarkP
07-26-2004, 05:17 PM
http://www.wileyski.com/ Is this the one you want??

chris.willman
07-26-2004, 05:24 PM
That's the guys I used. Ask for Stan if you call them.

east tx skier
07-26-2004, 05:30 PM
I'll be interested to hear what you're saying about them. My wife is talking about trying something new as she has never been thrilled with the HO Venom bindings.

The wiley bindings look like very traditional highwraps to me, which translates into the comfort that is sacrificed in a lot of the performance bindings. That being said, I find the Animals to be very comfortable, even though they're stiff for obvious reasons.

Rick, that website should answer your question.

Farmer Ted
07-30-2004, 01:08 PM
:woohoo: Got my new ski today :headbang:

Hopefully the weather will hold out and the girlfriend will feel like pulling my fat @$$ around the lake this evening!!!! :banana:

Farmer Ted
07-30-2004, 01:11 PM
I can't wait!!!!

bcampbe7
07-30-2004, 01:13 PM
Nice... Let us know how it goes!

bradamerry
07-30-2004, 01:30 PM
I'm ready to try that bad boy!!!!

André
07-31-2004, 01:16 PM
Tim
You're supposed to be wearing socks with holes in it when posting a ski pic...

east tx skier
07-31-2004, 01:21 PM
:D Man, that joke never gets old from my perspective! Tim, stay out of my sock drawer!

Great looking ski. Be sure to give us a report (on the ski and the bindings).

MarkP
07-31-2004, 02:21 PM
Wow Tim, that came quick. I’ll bet your stoked, and cant wait!! Good luck this eve.

east tx skier
08-02-2004, 12:15 PM
Tim, how'd it ski?

Ben
08-02-2004, 12:52 PM
I'm by no means an expert, but am very happy w/Wiley's. Both our guys and girls skis (68" and 65 or 66" KD4000's) came from them with the dbl wiley highwraps. I got the recommendation (Wiley) from a guy who had been skiing for about 10 yrs, had been using the bindings for at least 5 I think.

To me, the bindings seem great, very comfortable and durable. This is the 2nd year on them and they are good as new. Stretched out a very little bit during the 1st few uses (which was good). Would definitely recommend them to anyone, although we were coming off of combos.....

Also agree their personnel seem great, I actually have talked to "Wiley" himself. Plus, you can't beat all of the blemish deals they have with their own boots.

Side note, I think it is Bart's magazine that sells their bindings and parts, so I figure they can't be all that bad if they are on the same page as the big names...

plink, plink, $.02 donated.

Farmer Ted
08-03-2004, 09:09 PM
I finally got to ski on the new ski yesterday, was supposed to go out with the Crew (Brad and family) but Jen is sick and I'm coming down with something might be TMS :banana:

First the bindings,

THEY ROCK!!!! I went with the rear toe plate and the full boot on front.
I've got a size 10.5/11 shoe and you know what they say about big feet......big feet, big shoes! I have a wide foot and the rear toe plate isn't as comfortable as the one on Brad's ski. I wish I had gotten the x-large toe plate, hopefully it will open up a bit.

I forgot to get some binding slime so I used aloe vera gel which seemed to work pretty good.

The binding was tight but very comfortable and easy to get out of (not too hard if you've ever seen the way I fall)

The Ski

Well let's just say that my experience with skis is somewhat limited. I was getting used to Brad's HO Charger which is 69" and has a V bottom.
My Mach 1 doesn't have a V bottom and is a little bit narrower than Brad's Charger so it's not as easy to get up on.

Asking me to review a ski is akin to asking a 14 year old to critique driving a Mustang.

I had a blast!!!

The ski didn't get away from me and when I pulled on the rope and leaned the ski wanted to Get-R-Done!!!
I'm happy with it so far and I'm sure it will help me improve.

Pretty weak review as I don't have much experience with slalom skis but if you're not looking to drop an a$$ load of money on a ski the Mach 1 from Wileys is a good buy at $259 and they ship fast!

Brad will have to post what he thinks about it tomorrow.

east tx skier
08-04-2004, 12:41 PM
Man, I wish I was closer to Shreveport so I could take some sets with you guys. We went out last night and it was so rough that I had to break out the maherajah! Based on all the good reviews, my wife is getting some wiley wraps for Christmas. They look like everything that's good about bindings with none of the bad.

Tim, the next time you're in Lowes or THD, grab a bottle of wire pulling lubricant. You can get a big bottle for cheap and it's a great binding lube. You can cut it with water and a little goes a lot further than soap in my opinion. We found ourselves out without lube one time and I had a helluva time getting into my boots. My wife used waterproof sunblock to get into hers ... big mistake as it doesn't come off for a while.

Glad you like your new ski!

bradamerry
08-06-2004, 05:52 PM
Guys, I skied Tim's Mach 1. The ski felt great, smooth in the turns and fast on cuts. The only thing different from my Charger, the spray was bad on my legs. I had an HO Extreme afew years back that did the same thing, I got use to it then, so I'm sure after a few trips, it will be fine. My Charger doesn't do it. The boots are great! So after sking the Mach 1, I'd buy one! :dance: Here's a shot of me on the Mach 1. Don't forget, I can't ski very well.

east tx skier
08-06-2004, 06:07 PM
Brad, I'm sure the spray could be remedied by some adjustments to the ski (not that you'll probably be making any to it).

Are you going to stick with the Charger, or go for something different?

bradamerry
08-06-2004, 07:21 PM
I like the Charger, good ski for me! I bought it, now I will use it! My outlook is alot like I say in golf, it's not the club, it's the person holding it. I will ski the course at Greeson in 3 weeks when Tim and Jenn go camping with us. I will see just how bad I am and what to work on. If I get to a point where the ski is hurting my performance, I will upgrade. What is hurting me at this point is the 25lbs. I have gained in the 3 years I missed out on really sking. I start back working out TONIGHT, since all of my golf tourneys are over for the year.

bradamerry
08-06-2004, 09:25 PM
Doug, we will have to meet you at the Cypress on a weekend day. Just remember, we have kids, and they love to swim!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But Jenn (tim's) does kneeboard well.

BriEOD
08-06-2004, 10:20 PM
This comment might be a little late. However, I got my KD from Wileys as well. I got a ski with a factory blemish a microscopic nick right behind the rear binding. I can barely see it. But, boy did I get a deal and it has no affect on the performance strictly cosmetic. I also have Wiley bindings, they're good. The only thing I can say is on the bindings the have rubber that sticks out the sides and flaps over the ski blocking the binding screw holes. It could also catch water in the turns. I recommend using an exacto knife and cutting it off.

bradamerry
08-06-2004, 10:23 PM
Thanks BriEOD, Tim will like that info. He didn't like the spray either. But I will let him cut them off. :D

Pondking
08-07-2004, 12:26 AM
Farmer Ted, the mach 1, until a few years ago, was and probably is still a top of the line ski. Many pros used this ski throughout the 80's and most of the 90's.
I bought mine in 1984 and still love it. Very quick turns if you let it, great in the course and because it is a little heavier than most of the newer high end skis it slices through the wake nicely if you keep on a hard edge. You must remember that this ski is designed to be on edge. You will find, as in many performance skis, that it will wobble if you try to ride it flat.
I've ridden many of the newer skis and while some of the technology is awsome, I still think the mach 1 is a great ski. The one complaint is the spray it puts up on my rear calf. You can tough it out for about 2 weeks of bruising 'till you build up the muscle or you can just buy a spray guard for about $20. Long wetsuit or drysuit protect as well. You can enjoy this ski from intermediate to running the course.

H20skeefreek
08-07-2004, 12:39 AM
I've got a 67" 2001 Connelly Carbon Course with double boots that i'm going to try for a third time on Sunday. I like it, but it seems to give me a LOT of spray. also, I feel like i have to just ride straight b/c if i turn, i feel like it's too fast for me too control. It might be just too high performance of a ski for me.

I'm currently using a 69' charger with adjustable front boot and RTP.

east tx skier
08-07-2004, 12:58 PM
I never get tired of talking about this stuff. Brad, good luck on the course. It sure did humble me. As for the 25 lbs., the answer is to stop drinking that lite beer and go with something darker! :D

BriEOD
08-07-2004, 03:21 PM
Brad, How fast are you skiing now? 30-32mph? You're going to need to slow way down and add some rope to hit the course. If you have never run a course it is a HUMBLING experience and takes some serious getting used to.

BriEOD
08-08-2004, 04:29 PM
H2OSkeeFreek,

I saw a reddish/organgish S&S today (Sun 8 Aug) on I-77 North Side of Columbia about 1:45 pm behind a blue pickup (S-10 I think) was this you?

H20skeefreek
08-08-2004, 09:46 PM
H2OSkeeFreek,

I saw a reddish/organgish S&S today (Sun 8 Aug) on I-77 North Side of Columbia about 1:45 pm behind a blue pickup (S-10 I think) was this you?

sho' nuff! that was me. what were you doing up this way?

BriEOD
08-08-2004, 10:04 PM
Small World! I was dropping my niece off in Charlotte and just passing through. Looks like you were skiing? I saw your MC, a Ski Ray and a Ski Nautique today between the ride up and back on I26 & I77. Man we need to get together and ski. Hell, I'll drive up it's only 1-1.5 hrs depending on what side of town you're on.

bradamerry
08-08-2004, 10:54 PM
I think I'm sking around 30 to 34mph.(better ask Tim) :confused: . At 22 off. I was planning on starting at 0 off and 28mph. Here's a shot of Tim getting use to the new toy.

H20skeefreek
08-09-2004, 12:06 AM
I'm on the NE side of town, i usually take exit 41 off 77 to ski at Lake Wateree. I usually go on Sundays with the wife, then try to get together with some guys for skiing on Monday's, but people who have weekdays off are hard to find. If i can actually get next monday off, i could come down to your stompin' grounds if you are lookin' for a skier. I need someone who can actually ski to help me decide if I'm going to buy this Connelly ski, and from what I can tell, you are a much better skier than me.

Farmer Ted
08-09-2004, 12:09 AM
When I'm driving I go about 3100-3200 RPM which works out to about 30-31 MPH,

none of the skiing pictures Jen took turned out...

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 09:28 AM
I'm off this coming Monday. Come on down and lets ski.

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 12:52 PM
Brad, I'd start at 15 off at about 26 mph. It's too easy to get slack in the rope on a 75' line. Good luck. And remember, it's fun (at least that's what I always tell myself when I can't get around the 2 ball) :o .

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 03:22 PM
I'm ready, it will be fun to see what I can do. I looking to get ball one and bust my a$$ at ball 2. Anything more than that on the first few runs will be a dream!!

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 03:35 PM
My first couple of runs at it went like this. Not worried about getting gates, just trying to remember form. Without gates, first ball was easy. I'm RFF, so it's my onside going to ball 1. Did it just right, turned on time, and finished it just past the ball, looked across the course to ball two, and thought, that's not so far away. This thought apparently pushed everything useful I'd learned about skiing out of my brain, and in my attempt to get to ball 2, I got out of position, broke at the waist, and got dumped out the front over the wake with my only thought being, put your hands behind your head because that ski's somewhere behind you coming straight for you.

This has happened more than once. So you can see that I'm a stubborn kind of a guy who doesn't tend to learn from his mistakes. But then again, although it doesn' float very well, that phantom vest has protected me pretty well so far (knocking on wood).

You're gonna love it!

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 03:43 PM
I'm just going to go all out!! I'm not going to worry about form, I have never been worried about it in the past. Just going all out. I will bust my a$$ alot. My college golf coach had a great saying. I liked to practice on the driving range 20 minutes before the tournement would start. He always said, " Merry if you didn't bring your best game when you showed up, you won't find it here and now! Go play". I will just go for it!!

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 03:47 PM
"You're gonna love it!"

Nah, it's gonna frustrate the hell out of you! JohnB & Andre can I get a ruling on this one.

Start will all 75 ft I'd go with 28 mph. However, know this, the slower you go the further the performance on the ski is going to degrade. If it's a comp slalom ski it's made to run at particular speeds.

It is completely different then open water skiing. Keep your head across the course and try and make up time behind the boat. Good luck and be patient because it's frustrating, but challenging. :cry:

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 03:58 PM
I going in to this new challenge knowing I'm not good. I know I will not do very well at first. But I have to start somewhere. I'm RFF, so I will probably be late to ball 2 at first. I firgure I will crash alot trying to make it to ball 2. I think I have the correct mind set to start this challenge, I will try it this weekend. So I will have ahead start on Tim. Tim and I can learn together. I think it will be fun. If I skied with JohnB, I would get pissed, fast.

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 04:04 PM
You should be ok the first few balls maybe to 3 or 4. Those last two are killers when you're trying to learn. All the mistakes you make through the first couple finally add up and you can't make up the difference on the last few.

Don't feel bad I would be frustrated skiing with JohnB over there. Now if he came here and we did 10-10's (1 set of 10 passes, 10 times with a small rest while still skiing between 10's--that will seperate the men from the boys!) maybe It would be different. If he comes to the east coast he has to bring his personal cameraman though!! ;)

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 04:12 PM
I should have alot of fun with the course. I know it will be hard, but knowing that and how I am sking at this point, I don't expect to make all six the first dozen times out. It will most likely take awhile to make all six.

H20skeefreek
08-09-2004, 04:25 PM
You should be ok the first few balls maybe to 3 or 4. Those last two are killers when you're trying to learn. All the mistakes you make through the first couple finally add up and you can't make up the difference on the last few.

Don't feel bad I would be frustrated skiing with JohnB over there. Now if he came here and we did 10-10's (1 set of 10 passes, 10 times with a small rest while still skiing between 10's--that will seperate the men from the boys!) maybe It would be different. If he comes to the east coast he has to bring his personal cameraman though!! ;)

Brian, you are scaring me, I've never even ran the course once. I suck. I'll let you know sometime this week if i'll have monday off.

east tx skier
08-09-2004, 05:36 PM
Brad, I get what you're saying about just getting out there and playing, but as a wise man once said, "It's all ball bearings nowadays."

Running that course is a high percentage of good position (let's say 95%, maybe 92.75%, who knows). Whatever it is, I ain't got it yet. Before you go out there this weekend, I'd recommend you take the handle off the rope, loop the 5 foot section around the pylon, put your feet against the back of the motor box, and work on that position (Brian described it about as good as I've seen it described on some thread somewhere). Then go out and play with it.

plink plink $.02

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 05:43 PM
I will record my runs, I mean crashes, on the course and come back home and watch. I need to see where I have bad position. I know I'm probably not taking this course thing as serious I some people do, but I'm doing it for fun. I will probably pass more bouys on my a$$ than my ski. Heck, I have just as good a chance of making 6 balls on the kneeboard at 15mph, @ 15 off as I do the ski!!!

BriEOD
08-09-2004, 06:13 PM
Try videotaping yourself then analyze it.

bradamerry
08-09-2004, 10:54 PM
Sorry, that is what I meant by record. That sould show me where I need the most improvement.

jimmer2880
08-10-2004, 07:09 AM
My .02 worth is.... don't worry if you miss the gates. Do your pull-out to the left side before the course.... When the Pilon goes through the gates, make your cut to the right. Pull hard. If you miss the gates, don't let up on your cut to try to get them, rather adjust your timing next time.

One of my course buddies is a good skier & could probably make all 6, but when he cuts for the gates, he'll change his cut mid-way to be sure he catches the gates.... this ALWAYS messes him up for ball 1. If you mess up ball 1 on a LFF skier, the rest is all down hill.

Take a good hard cut & go for it. If you miss it, fix it next pull. For me skiing 22 off at 32 mph... I usually key off of the back of the motor box going through the gates..... You'll have to play with it to find out what works for you.

I never ran the course at full-rope either - it's way too trashy back there. 15 off was all it took. But - that's just me. I have a buddy who has won many tourney's by skiing full-rope at 36 mph on a super choppy day because nobody else was trying to ski 36 mph 15-off with the same 1.5' chop.

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 08:04 AM
I always go when the nose of the boat enters the 2nd set of "boat bouy's"

:banana: <------------MarkP

east tx skier
08-10-2004, 11:57 AM
You guys have me confused about when to cut. I thought it was the drivers head at the gates? :)

Brad, video is the most helpful thing ever. I took some video at the beginning of the summer and couldn't believe all the junk I'd picked up in the cooler months. If your video camera has digital stabalization, make sure it's on as it's enough to make you sick if it's not on unless you've got some pretty great glass.

Don't forget to have fun!

bradamerry
08-10-2004, 12:31 PM
I always have fun. Knowing me, I will be yelling like a redneck at the tractor pulls when I make it to the ball!!!

BriEOD
08-10-2004, 02:39 PM
Nice visual Brad... :toast: