PDA

View Full Version : old S&S trailer

richardsoncd
08-21-2005, 06:10 PM
I have recently bought my first MC, it's a 79 stars and stripes, the trailer is in decent condition, but getting it on and off of the trailer is a pain because it doesn;t have a trailer buddy, just a piece of wood covered with carpet, it is really screwing up the front of the boat because it runs up it in order to trailer it. Can I put a trailer buddy on this trailer or what, the front has a strip that is rubbed to clear resin at this point, should I put a keal guard on it or what? The finish is bad enough as is and once I start redoing it this winter I don't want to mess it up again. Thanks for any advice.

insocova
09-19-2005, 03:33 AM
Give me a few days and I will post pics of my trailer. It is the original 79 trailer that looks like it has been modified. Whoever did it knew what they were doing. It looks completely original, but I have never seen this stock on an older boat. Also, my bow u-bolt is longer than the original to use with the boat buddy. As for the gel coat rub, if it is up near the bumper rail, then it was likely caused by the V wood on the trailer rubbing, mine has done the same probably from worn carpet. I don't think that a boat buddy will solve this problem. Keeping new carpet (2 layers) on the trailer is the best way to prevent this from becoming worse. As far as the keel guard, I don't suggest covering it up, however this would be cheaper than having glass work done. I am currently restoring a 79 and I plan on having the glass fixed on mine. If the worn area on the bow is lower than about a foot and a half from the bumper rail, then I would guess that it came from "beaching it" over the years. I have that problem too. I live in southern virginia and will consider trading trailers if yours is completely original. Like I said, mine has the boat buddy already installed, but the drivers side fender is cracked very badly and the passenger side has cosmetic damage. Old fenders are impossible to find and that is what I am after. Newer prostar fenders will fit on an old trailer, but I am more interested in the old school look. So, if an already installed boat buddy is more important to you than original fenders, let me know.

Cloaked
09-19-2005, 04:55 PM
I have recently bought my first MC, it's a 79 stars and stripes, the trailer is in decent condition, but getting it on and off of the trailer is a pain because it doesn;t have a trailer buddy, just a piece of wood covered with carpet, it is really screwing up the front of the boat because it runs up it in order to trailer it. Thanks for any advice.You are putting the trailer too deep for the drive-on method. Back the trailer into the water to where the fenders are submerged from 1/2 to 2/3 of the way in the water. Same as launching it. If it's too deep, the bow eye will drag across the board coming off.

Once you find the right depth, it will be a snap (maybe ;) ). The trailer buddy is a convenient gadget but that won't solve the problem as stated. Proper trailer depth is the ticket. The winch is not made to pull the boat onto the trailer. It merely secures it once the boat is in place. Don't be afraid to drive the boat up onto a partially submerged trailer. That's the way they are supposed to load. I usually back my trailer deep enough to wet the bunks then pull out a bit to the right depth.

richardsoncd
09-20-2005, 01:31 AM
Thanks, I will keep that in mind about the depth, I think I am going to put a keel guard on it just in case. My trailer doesn't have a winch or a "V-brace" before the board, I am going to put another layer of carpet on it. I guess the being too deep makes sense because my D Ring does snag the board, I just figured the deeper the trailer the easier it will go on. As for trading the trailer, my fenders are broke up as well, I have started to repair them with fiberglass patches even though they are plastic. I am going to have the entire trailer "de-rusted" and rhino lined with white rhino lining and am going to add some new decals, not a perfect restore but pretty good. Thanks for the advice from both of yall, cheers :toast:

Workin' 4 Toys
09-21-2005, 03:01 AM
You are putting the trailer too deep for the drive-on method. Back the trailer into the water to where the fenders are submerged from 1/2 to 2/3 of the way in the water. Same as launching it. If it's too deep, the bow eye will drag across the board coming off.

Once you find the right depth, it will be a snap (maybe ;) ). The trailer buddy is a convenient gadget but that won't solve the problem as stated. Proper trailer depth is the ticket. The winch is not made to pull the boat onto the trailer. It merely secures it once the boat is in place. Don't be afraid to drive the boat up onto a partially submerged trailer. That's the way they are supposed to load. I usually back my trailer deep enough to wet the bunks then pull out a bit to the right depth.
I totally agree.