PDA

View Full Version : How to remove floor panel - PS190?

Tomi
05-29-2012, 01:07 AM
Hi,

I have a leak somewhere and to inspect where I need to get some access to see all possible leak areas. However, I simply cannot figure out as how to remove the panel (one similar to the picture here captured from elsewhere in Teamtalk).

No screws that I can find...

-Tomi

Cloaked
05-29-2012, 07:25 PM
The floor should come right up. Poke around and find the screw heads.... if they are there you'll find them. If none, tug on the floor. It will come up. Even if you pull out a screw or two or three, doesn't matter. Fill the hole with 5200 filler and let it dry for two days. Then just set the floor back in. I have stopped putting screws in my flooring years ago and filled all of the holes. It's not going anywhere.

There's not much that typically leaks in that section. Maybe a loose hose connection or a ruptured piece of Foxworthy PVC (dammit boy :D ) back at the transom.

Nothing an inspection mirror wouldn't take care of, in case you prefer not to tug on the floor.

Tomi
05-30-2012, 12:22 AM
The carpet is so damn thick that screws are pretty much impossible to locate if there. Been there... no screws to be found by poking.

I keep the boat on water so really need to fix the leak :D
Anyway, last night took a peak under and saw a steady drip from the packing nut. I guess that might be sufficient to fill the bilge in 24h. I presume I can tighten it without removing the floor but if packing needs replacing, I will need to get that panel out of the way.

mayo93prostar
05-30-2012, 06:59 AM
Tomi, if you are seeing the leak back under the floor piece, then it is in your rudder stuffing box, not the packing nut. The packing nut is around the drive shaft forward of the floor piece and exposed. You should be able to pump some more grease into the rudder stuffing box to stop the leak or you will have to replace the packing in the rudder box. Have you tried sliding the floor piece forward to remove?

Tomi
05-30-2012, 07:45 AM
Tomi, if you are seeing the leak back under the floor piece, then it is in your rudder stuffing box, not the packing nut. The packing nut is around the drive shaft forward of the floor piece and exposed. You should be able to pump some more grease into the rudder stuffing box to stop the leak or you will have to replace the packing in the rudder box. Have you tried sliding the floor piece forward to remove?

Rudder box is not leaking... checked already. Definitely packing nut. Might be something else also but packing is definitely dripping even at stand still.

Sliding floor piece forward? Have not tried this. Is there something that hooks to the panel? Looking at the picture I copied, there are some "fingers" in the cross section. Slide so that floor releases from those? Can you confirm if 2003 PS would have this type of securing mechanism? I would hate to break anything in trial and error process.

carlsonwa
05-30-2012, 09:59 AM
I had a leak last year where the exhaust flanges came through the hull. The silicon had dried up. So I disassembled and used a generous amount of black RTV to reseal the hull where the flanges go through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tomi
05-31-2012, 01:30 PM
Floor panel problem solved! No fancy retainers or even screws. Just a good twist and pull and off it came. Now it moves really easy. I guess it was just "glued" in over the years and needed to be opened once with a little more force than usual.

psychobilly
05-31-2012, 03:51 PM
I wish I could get to my rudder post that easy.....

thatsmrmastercraft
05-31-2012, 04:06 PM
For future reference, when you need to find a hidden screw in the carpet, get out the stud finder.

Tomi
05-31-2012, 04:17 PM
For future reference, when you need to find a hidden screw in the carpet, get out the stud finder.

Good tip. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks!

Tomi
06-01-2012, 03:51 PM
Packing tightened and leak stopped. But while there noticed also that one muffler is cracked and leaks also. Well, need to replace the packing anyway so fiberglass fixing the muffler at the same time should be no biggie...

mayo93prostar
06-01-2012, 04:07 PM
Tomi, do you have mufflers or just straight PVC pipes in the exhaust? From your first pic, it looks like PVC pipe.
I am also surprised you have a metal blower "hose". Typically this is black plastic "dryer vent" hose that is more flexible, yet less durable.

Tomi
06-02-2012, 01:53 AM
If you read the text :D you notice that the first picture was just copied from this site to visualize the topic and demonstrate the area that needs to be removed. That picture was not from my boat or taken by me.

I have two large mufflers under there, both with big labels "Silentmaster". My hoses are all black and plastic... original stuff.

david_ski
06-02-2012, 03:24 PM
I too had a leak in my muffler. I pinpointed the leak, sanded the area well, the added some fiberglass/resin to the area. Two layers and it is as good as new. I used a mirror to inspect the inside of the muffler and the crack was actually fairly large on the inside where the angle coupling was attached to the straight muffler. However, I determined that any kind of internal patch was not going to work. The external patch seemed to fix all muffler leaks and it is holding up. Much cheaper than springing for a new muffler, and very satisfying to fix rather than replace.

BTW: 93 PS 190's rudder box does not have any packing. There are 2 o-ring gaskets is the rudder box (top & bottom) with grease filled between the two gaskets. The rudder tiller bolt clamped on the rudder shaft holds everything together.

carlsonwa
06-02-2012, 10:34 PM
Tomi, do you have mufflers or just straight PVC pipes in the exhaust? From your first pic, it looks like PVC pipe.
I am also surprised you have a metal blower "hose". Typically this is black plastic "dryer vent" hose that is more flexible, yet less durable.

That picture is my boat.

The previous owner pulled out the mufflers and replaced with PVC which works great and sounds bada$$.

I replaced my intake and blower venting with the aluminum material, more durable and not as fragile like the black stuff which always tears so easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk