PDA

View Full Version : boat is turning

richardsoncd
08-21-2005, 06:07 PM
I recently boat my first MC (2 weeks ago) it is a 79 S&S, when it gets on plane it pulls to the right pretty bad, I've heard this is normal for an older inboard, I grew up driving 190's and 209's and don't remember this being an issue, any advice?

Cloaked
08-21-2005, 06:37 PM
I recently boat my first MC (2 weeks ago) it is a 79 S&S, when it gets on plane it pulls to the right pretty bad, I've heard this is normal for an older inboard, I grew up driving 190's and 209's and don't remember this being an issue, any advice?It's normal and preferred (IMHO). "Bad" is relative and the pull can be reduced by honing an edge on the rudder (there's several threads here on that tip). Unless it's just out of the question of preference, I'd live with it if in fact you use a slalom course on a regular basis.

gisaacson
08-21-2005, 06:44 PM
you may want to check out the fins on the hull. One of my fins on my 85 has a slight bend in it and pulls to the right but its becasue the previous owner must have hit something and messed up the fins. I am restoring her now. But my guess it with a new set of fins she will go straight

88 PS190
08-22-2005, 09:37 PM
depends how badly it pulls right, our mc pulls right slightly, if you let go of the wheel it will start to move slightly right, but will then catch and turn pretty sharply.

The preload is good if you pull anything more than recreational skiers as it allows you to be prepared for whatever load is going to be put upon it. That way when a slalom skier goes from pulling on the left to pulling on the right you don't have to cross the entirety of the "dead" neutral space before having input on the rudder.

east tx skier
08-23-2005, 11:36 AM
If I let go of my wheel at slalom speed, it will spin rightward. I wouldn't have it any other way. Check out the trailing edge of your rudder. Most likely, it's been slightly filed to create this pull. Filing the other side can lessen it. Be careful though, I litte goes a long way.