PDA

View Full Version : Which Barefoot suit?

nkorep2
05-28-2012, 08:53 PM
So, Ive wanted to barefoot for a few years now. Ive done all the other stuff and that was last one my list. Randomly during the years Ive attempted without any proper instruction. I got a chance to do it on a boom a few weeks ago, and this weekend got up off a wake board. I beat my ankles up pretty good crashing on the board a few times. Time to deep water start....Im addicted.

With that in mind, I need a suit. I not willing to not have some sort of flotation on when Im on the water. I was told they offer little flotation. Is this true? Or are some better than others?

Which option do you suggest?

Also, Im 5'5'', 165 lbs with a top heavy gymnast build.

Cloaked
05-28-2012, 09:27 PM
So, Ive wanted to barefoot for a few years now. Ive done all the other stuff and that was last one my list. Randomly during the years Ive attempted without any proper instruction. I got a chance to do it on a boom a few weeks ago, and this weekend got up off a wake board. I beat my ankles up pretty good crashing on the board a few times. Time to deep water start....Im addicted.

With that in mind, I need a suit. I not willing to not have some sort of flotation on when Im on the water. I was told they offer little flotation. Is this true? Or are some better than others?

Which option do you suggest?

Also, Im 5'5'', 165 lbs with a top heavy gymnast build.With suits, you'll get what you pay for. One thing I have come to appreciate with a larger upper body build is a sleveless shorty. With the short sleeved suits I have previously owned, it took two people to get me out of the suit. Sleveless is very nice. It's not like these are wet suits for warmth. Flotation will work but it's mostly padding that happens to float, not flotation meeting USCG requirements, by most all state laws. Our Water Police will write a ticket in a heartbeat for skiing without a jacket, regardless of any integrated flotation, etc.

Deep waters are more than I care for after years of water intrusion. I step off or boom up. Lots of fun either way.

Here is a place that I have found to have competetive prices and the Eagles are good suits. They have a shorty sleeveless for $309. A good price for the suit.

http://www.miamiskinautiques.com/Barefoot-Suits-s/876.htm

barefoot
05-28-2012, 10:11 PM
I've had a suit with and without sleeves. I prefer the sleeveless.

Barefoot International suits are probably designed more for the stockier guy, considering Mike Seiple is stocky.

I don't have much experience with the different brands, but I've had a BI for 5+ seasons with zero problems. Spend a little money and get a suit with ticker padding. Your body with thank you for it.

JBrew
05-28-2012, 10:20 PM
I'm 5'7" 170 and have a BI suit the newest design( blue and black flaming foot) seeveless. It has plenty of flotation and fit pretty well. I believe mine is a med. I would be interested in selling if interested. If you want pm me.

Rockman
05-28-2012, 10:47 PM
I have had all BFI barefoot suits since I started footing and the last suit I bought was a Vortex and I love it just as much as the BFIs.

Go with the sleeveless as they are easier to get in and out of and if the temps drop, you can easily put on a heater shirt without any problems. Do get the BFI shorts to wear underneath. No other brands compare to their shorts.

I have barefooted for nearly 33 years in at least 10 different states and have NEVER been pulled over by the waer patrol or DNR for just wearing my wetsuit when footing. Slalom, Wakeboard, etc. I always wear a vest of some sort.

The padding in the shorts and also the suit will make you float no matter your height and weight, within reason.

03 35th Anniversary
05-29-2012, 03:43 PM
I use the Vortex after switching from an Eagle a couple of years ago.

The Eagle wasn't a bad suit I just like the Vortex a lot better.

CruisinGA
05-29-2012, 05:40 PM
Pretty happy with my BFI shorty sleeveless + BFI shorts.

When it gets cold, I wear just the suit over my 3/2 Billabong wetsuit and foot into November!

barefoot
05-29-2012, 06:00 PM
I understand the shorts, but I think they're a pain in the a$$... Never liked putting on the short than a suit. It always felt too bulky. However, I know I'm in the minority here...

BI will set you up with the shorts and wetsuit. It's a great deal to get it all at once. They will size you and it will fit right out of the box.

atlfootr
05-31-2012, 11:18 AM
Couldn't pass up an opportunity to give my :twocents:

Have many a collection of BF suits / shorts hanging inside my shed, Eagle / Intensity all are sleeveless but one, may of been my first. Most current I use is Mike's BFI Iron Suit ...

This one is definitely the most padded suit I've worn and most comfortable.
It has a full body wrap, everywhere you need it the most.

I'll tell you this and so will anyone else, when you first put it on and use it it will really seem stiff but within maybe 7-10 uses it starts to conform to your body and take shape.

This is a suit if I had to, would buy again.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/attachment.php?attachmentid=79561&stc=1&d=1338477058https://encrypted-tbn2.google.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRBZ0gBepbEMCqw9emTSs08Bcl6Z4mzJ xC3RW2RCaVlXifRbGL_1g (http://www.google.com/imgres?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&channel=np&biw=737&bih=358&tbm=isch&tbnid=cCwqPJjEdJm3TM:&imgrefurl=http://www.barefootcentral.com/bi-barefootironfullwrapshorts.aspx&docid=Gw7HJPZczO3nmM&imgurl=http://www.barefootcentral.com/ProductImages/bi/B455_NEW.jpg&w=250&h=255&ei=A47HT7jZBMvC0AHE5KTaDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=212&vpy=21&dur=559&hovh=93&hovw=84&tx=103&ty=99&sig=101397618785814432402&page=1&tbnh=93&tbnw=84&start=0&ndsp=12&ved=1t:429,r:7,s:0,i:87)

Barefooter92
05-31-2012, 12:40 PM
I have always had Eagle suits, no issues with DNR, believe me I have been checked!

I know you all dont want to hear this but the key to a good fit is the color of the speedo underneath! No bulky trunks!:D

JBrew
05-31-2012, 02:19 PM
I have always had Eagle suits, no issues with DNR, believe me I have been checked!

I know you all dont want to hear this but the key to a good fit is the color of the speedo underneath! No bulky trunks!:D

Shorts, speedo's??? What are those... I prefer to be one with my suit ;)

aswinter05
08-16-2012, 09:38 AM
Question for deeperwater footers out there.....

We are getting ready to buy a boom and eventually try some deepwater starts. With that in mind, I will need to buy a barefoot suit. One of my family members is spectacular at barefooting and everytime he comes to the boat for a weekend, he wears a sleeveless padded suit AND I think he has a pair of padded shorts over the top or underneath the one-piece. He also strictly deepwater starts.

My question..... do you need both the padded suit AND the padded shorts for deepwater starts? Or will the suit alone suffice? Thank you for the help!

TayMC197
08-16-2012, 09:47 AM
I had a BFI's growing up. Switched to a eagle about 2 years ago. I didn't like it at first but it's grown on me. I prefer it now. Haven't used a vortex to compare. I'd imagine all suits are as good depending on the model you choose.

JBrew
08-16-2012, 09:49 AM

We are getting ready to buy a boom and eventually try some deepwater starts. With that in mind, I will need to buy a barefoot suit. One of my family members is spectacular at barefooting and everytime he comes to the boat for a weekend, he wears a sleeveless padded suit AND I think he has a pair of padded shorts over the top or underneath the one-piece. He also strictly deepwater starts.

My question..... do you need both the padded suit AND the padded shorts for deepwater starts? Or will the suit alone suffice? Thank you for the help!

If you get a newer suit that will suffice. I have a BI and don't wear the shorts, my father-in-law wears shorts and swears by them. Funny thing is I love to do glides on my butt and frankly I am on my butt a lot more, he complains about his being sore and I have never had a problem!

peason
08-16-2012, 11:13 AM
For deepwater starts, I wear a Vortex suit and just a pair of shorties (neoprene shorts) underneath and it does fine for padding.

kyfooter
08-17-2012, 03:23 PM

We're thread-jacking here, but here are my thoughts: If you are a novice, you will likely want padded shorts to fit underneath. Reason being is you'll likely be working on deep-water starts, good positioning with your 3-point stance, and tumble turns. If you're on your butt / lower back a lot, the shorts will be nice (and will help you glide a little easier).

More advanced skiers rarely have padded shorts on. They tend to be a little restrictive for surface turns and more advanced tricks.

As for the brand...I like Keith's suits (KSO from World Barefoot Center). You can catch deals in the fall/winter sometimes for the prior year model. Keith promotes the sport the most right now, so my suggestion is to help support them.