PDA

View Full Version : Installing Power Slot

1993bluestarsnstripes
05-28-2012, 08:38 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to install a power slot in a MC that has never had one?

Jerseydave
05-28-2012, 08:55 PM
Sure. Besides the powerslot trans you would need a new prop shaft, coupler, prop, strut, etc.
Have you tried different props for better performance first? Way cheaper if your trans is still good.
(and even if it's not)

BTW, you must show pics of your '93 :D

Cloaked
05-28-2012, 09:17 PM
I was wondering if it is possible to install a power slot in a MC that has never had one?You could do the conversion but like the above poster stated, it's a system rebuild and not just a tranny. Also, make sure (and I feel certain that this would be your case) that your hull has the slot allowing for the larger prop to put HP to the ground.

I have had both standard and slot options and there is a noticeable difference in performance, but I am not certain (in my opinion) that you'll gain that much performance over the standard tranny, considering the 240 HP engine (unless you have an optional higher output engine). That would be a nice upgrade as a winter task but certainly for the investment, consider it a sunken cost to you, but so what? I'd do it if I had the need, but with the simple 285 HP engine and the standard 1:1 Velvet Drive, my 93 does everything I need for slalom and multiple barefooters.

1993bluestarsnstripes
05-29-2012, 05:04 PM
Hey thanks for all the great information! I had a 1980 MC with the power slot and a 240 HP engine. I was able to pull 10 skiers with it. My 93 stars and stripes with the 285 HP engine can probably pull maybe 6. I notice there are alot of people on this site that really like the power slot so I was just wondering why more people don't have it put on their boat. I didn't know that there was a slot in the hull that you would need to make the installation. What would I be looking for to check that out? Obviously the cost of a new tranny along with the other parts and labor might discourage me also.

1993bluestarsnstripes
05-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Jerseydave, Thanks for your reply. No, I haven't tried any other props yet. I just remember how much more power I had with the power slot in my 1980 240 HP S & S compared to my 1993 285 HP S & S. without the power slot. Any idea what the ball park cost would be to purchase all those parts and have someone install a power slot? You're absolutely right-----I need to get some pictures of the boat on here.

ahhudgins
05-29-2012, 05:28 PM
Hey thanks for all the great information! I had a 1980 MC with the power slot and a 240 HP engine. I was able to pull 10 skiers with it. My 93 stars and stripes with the 285 HP engine can probably pull maybe 6. I notice there are alot of people on this site that really like the power slot so I was just wondering why more people don't have it put on their boat. I didn't know that there was a slot in the hull that you would need to make the installation. What would I be looking for to check that out? Obviously the cost of a new tranny along with the other parts and labor might discourage me also.

A slot owner will come along with a picture. The hull will have a concave section ("The Slot") above the prop. This allows for the bigger prop.

tph
05-29-2012, 05:34 PM
Here's a picture of the original slotted hull. After '85 MC closed the back end of it.

pram
05-29-2012, 05:35 PM
I question if you would need to change the shaft/coupler

I know that it is a 1" vs 1 1/8" but would the 1" fail? Probably not. The question would be what you can get for propping with a 1" taper fit that would benefit from the slot transmission

your 1980 was a substantially smaller boat as well I believe so you aren't comparing apples to apples really.

see if you can find someone with an Acme 541 to try. I have one on my 95-205 that I had on my 91-190. There was a substantial difference when I went from the stock oj 13x13

tph
05-29-2012, 05:52 PM
I question if you would need to change the shaft/coupler

You would probably have to change the shaft because of the length. I think the PS shaft is shorter because the transmission and gear reduction unit are longer. Also, I'm not sure if you could get a 14 x 18 prop with a 1" bore.

pram
05-29-2012, 06:32 PM
Excellent point, I never thought of transmission length coming into play with it.

pram
05-29-2012, 06:40 PM
Either way, I don't know if I would drop 2k just to have a little more hole shot via the transmission.

I would take the 2k and dump it into the motor myself

tph
05-29-2012, 07:55 PM
Either way, I don't know if I would drop 2k just to have a little more hole shot via the transmission.

I would take the 2k and dump it into the motor myself

I agree. The powerslot option is impressive but that's quite a premium to pay.

JohnMC
10-04-2012, 10:40 AM
I just sold my 1980 SS PS, now boating a 1986 TriStar 220. Very noticeable difference. The TriStar with a 454 and 14x14 prop might already have a 1 1/8 shaft and other PS requirements. I'm going to see what engine mods and prop options are available, but I'm still curious if the trans will fit, anyone know the trans model number?

TayMC197
10-04-2012, 11:17 AM
Here you go, I even have a shaft for a power slot for the 93 year model. I'd cut you a great deal on it. I had a machine shop verify its true.